What is Your Thinking On Abortion ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 05:07 PM
RE: What is Your Thinking On Abortion ?
Clumps of cells with no neural tubes, or organized brain matter, are not "humans".
They are potential humans. So are sperm cells and oocytes. What others decide they MUST do in a difficult situation is none of anyone's fucking business.
Don't like abortion ? Don't have one.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-03-2014, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2014 06:33 PM by Stevil.)
Quote:I see killing humans at any age to be wrong.
So what, who cares what you think?
Why should your opinion be forced onto others?

Quote:I want to find a way to prevent abortions but since laws have no meaning, I am still searching for a better way.
Maybe you could try to convince people not to have abortions, rather than to use law and force them not to.
Maybe you could lobby to have sex education taught in schools.
Maybe you could lobby to allow gay people to adopt unwanted babies.
Maybe fund contraceptive research.
Maybe put effort into getting the poor to stick around longer in schools.

There are many people in this boat of yours.
Many people trying to convince people not to buy caged chicken's eggs etc.
30-03-2014, 06:42 PM
(30-03-2014 05:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Clumps of cells with no neural tubes, or organized brain matter, are not "humans".
They are potential humans. So are sperm cells and oocytes. What others decide they MUST do in a difficult situation is none of anyone's fucking business.
Don't like abortion ? Don't have one.
This. I consider the rights of the woman infinitely more important than a bunch of cells in her uterus which are only a potential human, and I don't think it's any of my business what another person decides to do in this situation. Therefore, I am pro-choice.

I was arguing with a guy I knew since I was in high school on facebook one time, and he outright admitted his "pro-life" stance was based on emotion. And then he called me cold and emotionless, which I took as a compliment. I'd much rather make my decisions based on reason than admit that I am too emotionally caught up in it to think straight.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2014, 06:50 PM
My difficulty with the abortion issue is arbitrarily defining at what point a human life should be granted personhood rights. I definitely think a zygote or an embryo is nothing to lose much sleep over (it would be if I felt equal dismay over the death of a fly or a slug perhaps). But once prenatal development reaches the stage that a fetus has his or her own nervous system and feels pain, I'm far more uncomfortable with it. Apart from its dependence on a woman's body (which may or may not be a sufficient determination), what's the essential difference between a fetus that is mere weeks or months away from birth and a newborn?
30-03-2014, 06:54 PM
(30-03-2014 06:50 PM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  My difficulty with the abortion issue is arbitrarily defining at what point a human life should be granted personhood rights.
Why does it even matter what your beliefs are regarding rights?
How does this justify you forcing your own beliefs onto a pregnant woman?

It's not a question of rights, it is a question of "Why is it your (government) business to interfere?"
30-03-2014, 06:56 PM
I try to avoid the abortion debate, as I'm not a woman and I'm ignorant of a lot of details.

Is this picture accurate for the state of a fetus around abortion..
[Image: 6wk_bkg.jpg]http://www.babycenter.com.au/6-weeks-pregnant

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
30-03-2014, 07:07 PM
(30-03-2014 06:56 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Is this picture accurate for the state of a fetus around abortion..
In NZ it is legal to have abortion upto 20 weeks
[Image: index.jpg]

And even after that in certain circumstances.
30-03-2014, 07:13 PM
(30-03-2014 07:07 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 06:56 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Is this picture accurate for the state of a fetus around abortion..
In NZ it is legal to have abortion upto 20 weeks
[Image: index.jpg]

And even after that in certain circumstances.

50% of abortions are within the first 8 weeks, 88% are in the first trimester.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
30-03-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty sure I've read that late-term abortions aren't all that common though, but personally, it doesn't matter to me. If it's inside the woman, I'd say the woman has the choice of what to do with it.

Quote:I want to find a way to prevent abortions but since laws have no meaning, I am still searching for a better way.
I'd say that providing education and free/cheap access to birth control would be the best way to prevent unwanted pregnancies, which in turn would decrease abortion.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
30-03-2014, 09:30 PM
(30-03-2014 05:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 04:30 PM)chandlerklebs Wrote:  I am opposed to abortion for many non-religious reasons. I feel like I should have the right not to pay for it. This is impossible with the current state of the US government. I think that abortion MUST be talked about. A moral person cannot ignore something as big as abortion. It involves killing, lying, and stealing.

Killing? Not of a person.

Lying? Who is lying?

Stealing? My taxes go to many things I disagree with.

It is killing of a person, and anyone who says otherwise is clearly lying or brainwashed by another liar. Taxation is stealing no matter where the money goes. In my case though, the fact that it does go toward killing is what upsets me.

My current project is explaining why many things in this world are irrelevant to me.