What is a God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2011, 06:37 PM

What is a God?
I tried to discuss this on other forums and I tend to get lame responses from other non-believers. How you define a "God"?

Myself I deny the world's definition of what is a god, just because there is no way to measure "unlimited" power or a being in control of a universe(s). How I define on what is a god is a living or non-living being that is superior to me and the human species, ether with or without technology, and/or with/without abilities. Meaning a "E.T." can just come along and claim he is "GOD" or a god, or something like that. Or even a human that has a lot of power with or without technology can mimic on being "god". It's the same with dogs that sees humans or their owners as gods just because we have ultimate control of their livelihood. Even if there is some kind of being that can mimic a god, would you worship? I refuse to worship anything or anyone living or non-living, unless I'm in immediate danger of course.

What you guys think? How you define on what is a god? or do you agree with my own definition?
Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2011, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2011 07:40 PM by No J..)
RE: What is a God?
(29-01-2011 06:37 PM)Snakekilla Wrote:  I refuse to worship anything or anyone living or non-living, unless I'm in immediate danger of course.

The myth of Hell was created to scare people like you into submission. Since you won't voluntarily grovel and beg on your knees, the priests needed to do something drastic to manipulate your kind. Fear of eternal torture works on many. For thousands of years, many who did not conform to the religious mandate of the times were executed. This brought real, immediate danger. Fortunately, most of us on this forum, live in parts of the world were secular laws ban the practice of killing atheists and people of other religions. A few of us do live in areas where opening one's mouth can be a death sentence, though. (I am not one of these).
(29-01-2011 06:37 PM)Snakekilla Wrote:  How you define on what is a god? or do you agree with my own definition?

You covered the ideas of defining what a god is well. A god is what a religion decides its god is. It is that simple. However, the christian religion has 33,000 denominations, which means that it has 33,000 variations on god. Although this looks like it complicates everything, it doesn't. Each of these 33,000 denominations decided what their god was. Simple. However, within each of these denominations there are variations from individual to individual about what defines god. Does this complicate everything. No. Each individual has decided what defines their personal god. So, what is god? God is whatever you want him/her/it to be. Simple. Make up your own god, just like everyone else does.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2011, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2011 12:11 AM by Buddy Christ.)
...very little of what you said had much logic in it.

(29-01-2011 06:37 PM)Snakekilla Wrote:  How I define on what is a god is a living or non-living being that is superior to me and the human species, ether with or without technology, and/or with/without abilities. Meaning a "E.T." can just come along and claim he is "GOD" or a god, or something like that. Or even a human that has a lot of power with or without technology can mimic on being "god".

Soooo... what you're saying is that the world's best basketball player is a God, since he is superior to the rest of the human species in his abilities. Also, the first person to use a military exoskeleton is technologically superior compared to the human race, therefore he is a God. And since you don't actually have to BE superior, you can just MIMIC a God and be a God... David Blaine and Criss Angel are Gods.

Maybe the reason you got so many "lame" responses from non-believers is that your definition of "God" is nothing close to the many many accepted definitions we have already.

That's like me saying, I think "God" is a tortilla wrapped, cheese and beef filled entity, effectively a "Supreme" variety, sold only at exclusive franchises. Would you agree with me and worship him?

It also seems like you would worship anything that was superior to you, including aliens.

If a deity appeared before us exhibiting godlike powers, but of a completely malevolent nature... would you worship it?

Personally, I'd tell it to go fukk itself and die stoically, knowing that I was following what was morally just.

And that's coming from an atheist.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
30-01-2011, 06:20 AM

(30-01-2011 12:03 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  ...very little of what you said had much logic in it.

(29-01-2011 06:37 PM)Snakekilla Wrote:  How I define on what is a god is a living or non-living being that is superior to me and the human species, ether with or without technology, and/or with/without abilities. Meaning a "E.T." can just come along and claim he is "GOD" or a god, or something like that. Or even a human that has a lot of power with or without technology can mimic on being "god".

Soooo... what you're saying is that the world's best basketball player is a God, since he is superior to the rest of the human species in his abilities. Also, the first person to use a military exoskeleton is technologically superior compared to the human race, therefore he is a God. And since you don't actually have to BE superior, you can just MIMIC a God and be a God... David Blaine and Criss Angel are Gods.

Maybe the reason you got so many "lame" responses from non-believers is that your definition of "God" is nothing close to the many many accepted definitions we have already.

That's like me saying, I think "God" is a tortilla wrapped, cheese and beef filled entity, effectively a "Supreme" variety, sold only at exclusive franchises. Would you agree with me and worship him?

It also seems like you would worship anything that was superior to you, including aliens.

If a deity appeared before us exhibiting godlike powers, but of a completely malevolent nature... would you worship it?

Personally, I'd tell it to go fukk itself and die stoically, knowing that I was following what was morally just.

And that's coming from an atheist.

I wouldn't worship anything, unless I'm in immediate danger and would fake it until I get out of that danger. My definition is a "non-definition" meaning I have no need for the word "god" existing at all because it just means "superior" to me. Those whom accept the world definitions of a "god" has an tiny, tiny open crack in the door or window to accept the belief of "god" or "gods" etc. Myself I don't see the reasoning to have the word at all because anything or anyone can claim to be a god, or mimic it... If those E.T.'s came around and know that the world is worshiping some sort of god(s) they'd learn the religion(s) and pretend to be that god in every way possible, from image to knowledge, hence anyone with the right technology or/and abilities can be seen as a god(s)... What's stopping those ET's from doing this? nothing... of course as you should know I'm speaking in hypothetical terms if you haven't noticed.
03-02-2011, 04:13 AM

I actually think that "God" is a feeling. You know, when you feel it in your guts that something is about to happen? That you can "feel" that a miracle is bound to happen?

Human instinct is something we may call it today, but was it explained as well 2000 years ago? Or 4000 years ago?
The lack of communication through the world, may have lead people at a spesific community to accept this feeling as something super natural.

"I felt something touch me when I was about to die" "I felt her soul leave her body"
Those are things that may have lead people to believe that there was "something" there to either help them or "mock" them.
So they built a religion round that feeling that they could not explain. It may also explain why the old world was filled with "Gods" instead of Facts, logic and reasoning.

It may sound a little vague, but I hope you catched the point.
03-02-2011, 05:50 AM
The definion of god varies from person to person. I do not have a personal definition for it and I can't define it, simply because I don't believe in one.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
03-02-2011, 08:06 AM
My definition of a dragon:
A magical creature of myth. When this creature is used in stories, the basics are usually kept somewhat consistent, but the details can be changed to suit the story.

My definition of the tooth fairy:
A magical creature of myth. When this creature is used in stories, the basics are usually kept somewhat consistent, but the details can be changed to suit the story.

My definition of a unicorn:

My definition of an ogre:

My definition of god:

So many cats, so few good recipes.
04-02-2011, 12:27 AM
My definition of Stark Raving's last post:
An accurate idea of reality. The basic is right so there is no need to change details to suit different stories.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
04-02-2011, 08:46 AM

honestly i prefer the japanese version of gods. For a start there is no requirement of power or ability. Actually an average of all but the highest hundred or so of the 'eight million gods' would yeild less influence over the world than the average human teenager.

A god is simply any entity connected by its nature to some phenomenon in the real world but the rest of whose existence does not intrude upon reality as humans may percieve it.

good isnt it? possibly more unprovable either way than even the book of the christfags AND it still totally fits stark raving's version Tongue

I also like the pratchett version - one of several classes of being for which both power and existance are a function of the degree to which natually occuring sentients believe in them.
04-02-2011, 01:19 PM
(29-01-2011 06:37 PM)Snakekilla Wrote:  It's the same with dogs that sees humans or their owners as gods just because we have ultimate control of their livelihood.

If my dog looks at me like as a god then how come I'm cleaning up her poop? Shouldn't she be cleaning up mine? I mean, after all, I'm god, aren't I?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost