What is a God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2011, 06:05 PM
RE: What is a God?
(04-02-2011 01:19 PM)BnW Wrote:  If my dog looks at me like as a god then how come I'm cleaning up her poop? Shouldn't she be cleaning up mine? I mean, after all, I'm god, aren't I?

That is because you haven't threatened your god with eternal damnation at the mercy of cats and promised a heaven full of dog biscuits. You need to learn a few things about being a god.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 09:01 AM
(04-02-2011 06:05 PM)No J. Wrote:  That is because you haven't threatened your god with eternal damnation at the mercy of cats and promised a heaven full of dog biscuits. You need to learn a few things about being a god.

Excellent point. Hold on while I try that:

Nope, she's still not impressed and insisting that I clean up her poop and not the other way around. She did offer a compromise where I don't clean up here poop and let the kids step in it and walk into the house with it on their shoes, though. I thought that was big of her, but I rejected the offer anyway.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
06-02-2011, 10:38 PM
See I like to define God as the most supreme being of the universe, because theists would agree with me, and then I can say that if we exclude the possibility of a more intelligent alien species then we are God.
06-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Maybe there is a reason why the words god and dog are a mirror image of each other. Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
07-02-2011, 12:14 AM

(03-02-2011 05:50 AM)Kikko Wrote:  The definion of god varies from person to person. I do not have a personal definition for it and I can't define it, simply because I don't believe in one.

I'd like to point out when a person says "god" or "a god" both mean two completely different things... when referring to "god" you're referring to the Christian god, as to "a god" it's a broad sense of the gods in general. Just wanted to point it out because a lot of non-believer tend to make this grammar problem ether by mistake, or on purpose, or just because they have the little crack open at the door to accept the possibility of believing in god(s).

I'd like to note that this topic isn't taken as serious as I like it, I just may look into making this topic into a book to fully explain the logical and rational sense of what is a god and using logic and reasoning to define on what is a god, it will just result the definition to be useless to the non-believers and/or atheists.
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2011, 06:32 AM
(06-02-2011 11:41 PM)No J. Wrote:  Maybe there is a reason why the words god and dog are a mirror image of each other. Tongue

That reminds me of a joke. When people ask me what religion I am, I say I'm a dyslexic agnostic insomniac: I lie awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
07-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Quote:I'd like to point out when a person says "god" or "a god" both mean two completely different things... when referring to "god" you're referring to the Christian god, as to "a god" it's a broad sense of the gods in general. Just wanted to point it out because a lot of non-believer tend to make this grammar problem ether by mistake, or on purpose, or just because they have the little crack open at the door to accept the possibility of believing in god(s).
I thought it's the Abrahamic god only when capitalized. It's easy to forget to add the article into a word which is usually used without one, but I meant ''a god'' instead of ''God''.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
09-02-2011, 12:15 AM

Do you guys think this could be a very strong argument when debating/speaking to a religious person?
09-02-2011, 01:56 AM
(09-02-2011 12:15 AM)Snakekilla Wrote:  Do you guys think this could be a very strong argument when debating/speaking to a religious person?

It depends how brainwashed or stupid the religious person is.

09-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Do you think Seth (The Thinking Atheist) should make a whole episode on this topic?