What is a God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2011, 08:11 PM
RE: What is a God?
I refer to God (capital G to disignate a propernoun, god is not the same concept necessarily) as Yahweh, since I don't like the monopolization of the term god by Christians as meaning their specific God, but that is just a personal belief.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2011, 07:08 AM

I don't understand why Atheists who ponder the idea of a god (not a monotheist deity) even bother to bring up the idea of "worshiping" (it). It should be blatantly obvious by now that if there was any kind of god that required us to worship for some reason, he/she/it would have demanded it. Worship in the form of conventional prayer so silly, just like kids making wish lists for xmas and believing Santa Clause will be receiving their requests. While I don't believe or necessarily disbelieve of there being a "higher energy" or "universal consciousness" to the universe, and possibly being able to connect through some sort of meditation, I just don't buy into the whole prayer telepathy bullshit.
Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2011, 12:39 PM
What do I think is the definition of "god"? Personally I feel no reason for the word and simply replace all of it's uses with the word cat. So I would say cat damnit, etc. This just being an excercise of the pointlessness of these words. A god is viewed as an entity that answers that which is unkown, and at the same time is also viewed as an unknown in and of itself. So a god is similar to plugging a leak with your fingers. The water doesn't stop coming in, but you feel that the leak has lessened through your actions.

I much prefer to use the word cat, as I have a very strong definition of what a cat is and if I were to ask cat to damn you, then I would definitely have a realistic goal.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
16-02-2011, 12:48 PM

Get a bunch of theologians in a room of different Christian denominations. Ask them to list as many traits of God that they can.

Laugh as you watch them fight over what God is. Even Christians don't know what they're believing in it seems.
17-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Get a bunch of theologians of different Christian denominations one at a time. Ask them to write down as many traits of God that they can. Publish a book that shows that they don't know what they are talking about. Then watch as only atheists buy the book. Listen to some head-banging music to go with your mood.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
18-04-2011, 01:59 AM

I have same opinion that is because you haven't threatened your god with eternal damnation at the mercy of felines & promised a heaven filled with dog biscuits. You need to learn a few things about being a god.
18-04-2011, 05:37 PM
It seems its not our job to define what a god is, but for the believer to define it and for us to judge it.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
18-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Rainbow RE: What is a God?
(29-01-2011 06:37 PM)Snakekilla Wrote:  I tried to discuss this on other forums and I tend to get lame responses from other non-believers. How you define a "God"?

Myself I deny the world's definition of what is a god, just because there is no way to measure "unlimited" power or a being in control of a universe(s). How I define on what is a god is a living or non-living being that is superior to me and the human species, ether with or without technology, and/or with/without abilities. Meaning a "E.T." can just come along and claim he is "GOD" or a god, or something like that. Or even a human that has a lot of power with or without technology can mimic on being "god". It's the same with dogs that sees humans or their owners as gods just because we have ultimate control of their livelihood. Even if there is some kind of being that can mimic a god, would you worship? I refuse to worship anything or anyone living or non-living, unless I'm in immediate danger of course.

What you guys think? How you define on what is a god? or do you agree with my own definition?
Why, yes we can.
And I think it odd that you'd think up your own definition of God, which is so subjective and interchangeable, that you'd then join an atheist forum to ask not only if we agree with how you see god, but inquire how we define god.

Atheists = no god

I also think your last remark is funny. You refuse to worship anything or anyone living or non-living, unless you're in immediate danger. (of course)

How's that accomplished exactly?
"Dear something I now hope is there to hear me plead. Please, please, please make this giant great white that has my ass in it's teeth, let go! Amen!" Tongue

Just a heads up, because I like you.
The shark is an atheist too. [Image: shark.gif]

You really don't want to click THIS

I guess we didn't impress snakekilla. He's been gone since January. Maybe he's off seeking to find others who think? Big Grin

(04-02-2011 01:19 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(29-01-2011 06:37 PM)Snakekilla Wrote:  It's the same with dogs that sees humans or their owners as gods just because we have ultimate control of their livelihood.

If my dog looks at me like as a god then how come I'm cleaning up her poop? Shouldn't she be cleaning up mine? I mean, after all, I'm god, aren't I?
I give your dog credit knowing her god has indoor working plumbing.

Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes GassyKitten's post
20-04-2011, 08:50 PM
(30-01-2011 12:03 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I think "God" is a tortilla wrapped, cheese and beef filled entity, effectively a "Supreme" variety, sold only at exclusive franchises. Would you agree with me and worship him?

The Flying Spaghetti Monster will smite you for suggesting that a burrito of any kind even a "Supreme" could be a god. Angel maybe. God, no.
20-04-2011, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2011 11:03 PM by SoCATrueAtheist.)
(29-01-2011 06:37 PM)Snakekilla Wrote:  I tried to discuss this on other forums and I tend to get lame responses from other non-believers. How you define a "God"?

Myself I deny the world's definition of what is a god, just because there is no way to measure "unlimited" power or a being in control of a universe(s). How I define on what is a god is a living or non-living being that is superior to me and the human species, ether with or without technology, and/or with/without abilities. Meaning a "E.T." can just come along and claim he is "GOD" or a god, or something like that. Or even a human that has a lot of power with or without technology can mimic on being "god". It's the same with dogs that sees humans or their owners as gods just because we have ultimate control of their livelihood. Even if there is some kind of being that can mimic a god, would you worship? I refuse to worship anything or anyone living or non-living, unless I'm in immediate danger of course.

What you guys think? How you define on what is a god? or do you agree with my own definition?

I don't really see how your description of a physically or technologically superior being (or someone with more power) would fit the description of being a god. I suppose everyone who believes in God or a god has their own definition so whatever you think god is god to you.

But this part right here "Or even a human that has a lot of power" to me this is a very broad description. Politicians have the power to make laws regarding how our tax dollars are spent. Does that make them gods?
(29-01-2011 06:37 PM)Snakekilla Wrote:  How you define on what is a god?

God is a character created by man used to control the masses through fear.