What is a global perspective?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2012, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2012 12:41 AM by Diablo.)
What is a global perspective?
What is a global perspective and why is it important?

I wrote this in the politics section, but I am not getting any kind of info. Perhaps it more properly belongs in this forum.
I am 100% serious btw, and this is not some kind of troll post. I just want to get the opinion of the patrons of this site.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-12-2012, 08:40 AM
RE: What is a global perspective?
(03-12-2012 11:53 PM)Diablo Wrote:  What is a global perspective and why is it important?

I wrote this in the politics section, but I am not getting any kind of info. Perhaps it more properly belongs in this forum.
I am 100% serious btw, and this is not some kind of troll post. I just want to get the opinion of the patrons of this site.
It seems too simple of a question to take seriously. But people typically don't think globally. Global perspective changes things. So what is it?

If you think about people, think about all people. Don't think about your family, your city, your state or your continent. Think about all people on all continents. If you think "we're doing good", compare that to all people. Are "we" really doing good? Isn't our nation just a privileged minority in a world in which half of humanity is below the line of poverty? Look at all we have thanks to capitalism. How much good does capitalism do in global population?
We are misled, because we typically live in a wealthy state and think that our system works. We do not think of the billions of people, for whom the system does not work.

You get the idea, try to thing like that about stuff. Is something good or bad? Think what if everyone did it, would it still work and do good?
There is this saying, think globally, act locally. If you think globally, you should do what is good for everyone, not just you, but everyone including you. And by acting locally you make sure you don't intrude upon others. If you reverse it, you get a classical U.S. unilateralism, think locally (with the exclusive American good in mind) and act globally (send troops to invade other countries and secure oil).

Any questions?

25-12-2012, 09:10 AM
RE: What is a global perspective?
People are fairly good at identifying and implementing a common interest on the level of a small group - even up to the dozens. In crisis mode, we can act in a unified, effective manner, well into the thousands - but start bickering the minute the emergency is over. We have managed to build quite large civilizations - millions of people! - that hold together (in spite of the internal frictions) for centuries at a time (the more millions, the fewer centuries) - as long as we have external enemies and rivals upon whom to focus our collective hostility.

The really big trick is to collect all that hostility and harness its energy to save our collective ass.
That's the global perspective.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.