What is a pseudoscience?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2016, 12:32 PM
RE: What is a pseudoscience?
(10-06-2016 03:26 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 02:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  What has that to do with the issue?

You don't appear to understand what pseudoscience is and try to deflect with an irrelevant reference.

You are not very good at this. Drinking Beverage

I will appeal to authority which is not logical but it is all that I have. My definition of pseudoscience comes indirectly from Bill Nye, therefore if you must blame anyone for my bad behaviour here, then I'd blame him.

You provide no citation, so your appeal is denied.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2016, 12:44 PM
(10-06-2016 12:37 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 12:23 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  mmm.... no.

pseudoscience is fake science. it's stuff that's dressed up like science, maybe uses the words of science, but is ultimately meaningless.

example: pretty much anything that promises to rid your body of "toxins." I'm thinking of those ridiculous foot pads that turn brown when you've been "cleansed."

Richard Dawkins doesn't deal in pseudoscience....as far as I know.

Richard Dawkins makes the hypothesis as required by the scientific method, if I may use poetic license, that God does not exist, the problem is that he attempts to prove himself right in his God delusion.

Actually he doesn't. Post a quote from one of his books that supports your
gar-baaage, and his *claim*. Then post the book and page number where he does what you claim, or STFU. There is no evidence for any deity. Until there is, any consideration of the matter is dismissed. Get over it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-06-2016, 06:22 PM
(10-06-2016 12:15 AM)carusmm Wrote:  A pseudoscience is a theory for which there is no proof, which leaves Richard Dawkins and the theologians sparring with one another over nothing, about nothing, and never mind the bollocks.

Pseudoscience: Literally false science. That which purports to be science but is not.

Dawkins claims about religion are philosophy. Since it doesn't try to pretend to be science it doesn't qualify as pseudoscience.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
10-06-2016, 10:56 PM
(10-06-2016 03:26 AM)carusmm Wrote:  I will appeal to authority which is not logical but it is all that I have.
So you will make an illogical appeal to authority because you are desperate.

(10-06-2016 03:26 AM)carusmm Wrote:  My definition of pseudoscience comes indirectly from Bill Nye, therefore if you must blame anyone for my bad behaviour here, then I'd blame him.

" indirectly" from Bill Nye? The guy has videos coming out his...never mind. Direct quotes are easy.

His take is basically that pseudosciences are claims that can't be tested...(a.k.a. beliefs)

(10-06-2016 03:26 AM)carusmm Wrote:  therefore if you must blame anyone for my bad behaviour here, then I'd blame him.

[Image: tUNAWDT.jpg]

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
11-06-2016, 04:34 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2016 04:43 AM by Shadow Fox.)
(10-06-2016 03:26 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 02:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  What has that to do with the issue?

You don't appear to understand what pseudoscience is and try to deflect with an irrelevant reference.

You are not very good at this. Drinking Beverage

I will appeal to authority which is not logical but it is all that I have. My definition of pseudoscience comes indirectly from Bill Nye, therefore if you must blame anyone for my bad behaviour here, then I'd blame him.

Oh really?

Says nothing like that in the episode.

Pseudoscience IS: Noun - a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Psychic powers, Mediums, Fortune Telling, Star Signs, Homeopathy, Crystal Therapy, Magnet Therapy, Detox etc, have zero evidence and has either failed under the scientific method, or cannot be tested by it at all which means it fake science.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-06-2016, 05:55 AM
(11-06-2016 04:34 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 03:26 AM)carusmm Wrote:  I will appeal to authority which is not logical but it is all that I have. My definition of pseudoscience comes indirectly from Bill Nye, therefore if you must blame anyone for my bad behaviour here, then I'd blame him.

Oh really?

Says nothing like that in the episode.

Pseudoscience IS: Noun - a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Psychic powers, Mediums, Fortune Telling, Star Signs, Homeopathy, Crystal Therapy, Magnet Therapy, Detox etc, have zero evidence and has either failed under the scientific method, or cannot be tested by it at all which means it fake science.

I did say that my definition of pseudoscience came indirectly from Bill Nye. He was the inspiration for what I consider a fair description of pseudoscience. It is not perfect by any means, but what can be?
11-06-2016, 06:06 AM
(10-06-2016 12:37 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 12:23 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  mmm.... no.

pseudoscience is fake science. it's stuff that's dressed up like science, maybe uses the words of science, but is ultimately meaningless.

example: pretty much anything that promises to rid your body of "toxins." I'm thinking of those ridiculous foot pads that turn brown when you've been "cleansed."

Richard Dawkins doesn't deal in pseudoscience....as far as I know.

Richard Dawkins makes the hypothesis as required by the scientific method, if I may use poetic license, that God does not exist, the problem is that he attempts to prove himself right in his God delusion.

Oh bullshit....... He isn't pulling any claims out of his ass, he is using science to tell YOU your belief is of our own desires based on your own projections. Just like a pet dog will bark at it's own image in a mirror thinking it is another dog. That is literally where god beliefs come from. It is a flaw in our species perceptions. Religion literally is no different than convincing a kid there really is a Santa. If you get sold something blindly by others before you can form critical thinking skills, the idea literally feels real to you even though it is a false perception.

How is it you can and do rightfully reject all other god claims besides your own? Now, take that skepticism and aim it at your own claims.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2016, 06:11 AM
(11-06-2016 06:06 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 12:37 AM)carusmm Wrote:  Richard Dawkins makes the hypothesis as required by the scientific method, if I may use poetic license, that God does not exist, the problem is that he attempts to prove himself right in his God delusion.

Oh bullshit....... He isn't pulling any claims out of his ass, he is using science to tell YOU your belief is of our own desires based on your own projections. Just like a pet dog will bark at it's own image in a mirror thinking it is another dog. That is literally where god beliefs come from. It is a flaw in our species perceptions. Religion literally is no different than convincing a kid there really is a Santa. If you get sold something blindly by others before you can form critical thinking skills, the idea literally feels real to you even though it is a false perception.

How is it you can and do rightfully reject all other god claims besides your own? Now, take that skepticism and aim it at your own claims.

Clearly, you are under the false perception that I am religious.
11-06-2016, 06:15 AM
Pseudoscience = fake science

Examples: homeopathy, anti-vaccine movement, mineral oils, anything Deepak Chopra says, ghost hunters

Not an example: books that use science and scientific ideas and scientific explanations to discuss certain topics (like the god delusion. Dawkins doesn't claim in that book to have scientifically disproven a god, but offers scientific explanations for things associated with a god and/or god belief. You're straw manning Dawkins)

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
11-06-2016, 06:20 AM
(11-06-2016 06:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Pseudoscience = fake science

Examples: homeopathy, anti-vaccine movement, mineral oils, anything Deepak Chopra says, ghost hunters

Not an example: books that use science and scientific ideas and scientific explanations to discuss certain topics (like the god delusion. Dawkins doesn't claim in that book to have scientifically disproven a god, but offers scientific explanations for things associated with a god and/or god belief. You're straw manning Dawkins)

There is no proof of any science in Richard Dawkins' God delusion.