What is a pseudoscience?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2016, 06:22 AM
RE: What is a pseudoscience?
(11-06-2016 06:11 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 06:06 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Oh bullshit....... He isn't pulling any claims out of his ass, he is using science to tell YOU your belief is of our own desires based on your own projections. Just like a pet dog will bark at it's own image in a mirror thinking it is another dog. That is literally where god beliefs come from. It is a flaw in our species perceptions. Religion literally is no different than convincing a kid there really is a Santa. If you get sold something blindly by others before you can form critical thinking skills, the idea literally feels real to you even though it is a false perception.

How is it you can and do rightfully reject all other god claims besides your own? Now, take that skepticism and aim it at your own claims.

Clearly, you are under the false perception that I am religious.

Easy mistake to make if you are claiming he is wrong. He isn't wrong.

Religion in all it's forums started as very bad gap filling where answers lacked. It did create group safety in evolution, but it is still based on very bad gap filling for the reasons I stated.

If you have not read yet, you should also read "God The Failed Hypothesis" and "The New Atheism" written by the late Victor Stenger which also backs up Dawkins rightfully saying that WE invent those things and those things are not real things. They are simply our human invented excuses to set up social groups.

It is simply absurd to me knowing the age of our species and our planet and the size of our galaxy and the size and age of our universe for any stupid old mythology to replace our modern knowledge. It makes much more sense to me that humans simply make those things up as a reflection of their own local social norms as mere traditions most get sold as kids way before they can develop critical thinking skills.

Now I really don't care if you believe or not, this isn't about human rights. Dawkins and Stenger are right and religion is wrong. It is born out of human ignorance and fear of being finite. I wish there was a polite way to put it, but there isn't. Humans are not the center of the planet and 5 billion years from now we will long since have gone extinct and our human invented clubs, much less the religions or gods we event, will die with us, and the universe will go on with no record of us. No, it is not sexy, but it is our reality.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2016, 06:23 AM
(11-06-2016 06:20 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 06:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Pseudoscience = fake science

Examples: homeopathy, anti-vaccine movement, mineral oils, anything Deepak Chopra says, ghost hunters

Not an example: books that use science and scientific ideas and scientific explanations to discuss certain topics (like the god delusion. Dawkins doesn't claim in that book to have scientifically disproven a god, but offers scientific explanations for things associated with a god and/or god belief. You're straw manning Dawkins)

There is no proof of any science in Richard Dawkins' God delusion.

I see the trolls are out today. How hilarious. "If I make fun of Dawkins and 'the god delusion' it'll really piss them off."

Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
11-06-2016, 06:36 AM
(11-06-2016 06:23 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 06:20 AM)carusmm Wrote:  There is no proof of any science in Richard Dawkins' God delusion.

I see the trolls are out today. How hilarious. "If I make fun of Dawkins and 'the god delusion' it'll really piss them off."

Drinking Beverage

They can make fun of Dawkins all they want. I doubt you'd ever hear him call for someone's death for picking on him. Funny how even in the west both conservative and liberal Christians falsely play victim when you merely pick on their claims.

Dawkins is still correct about why humans make these claims. They really are merely a projection of human's qualities in their social norms, desires, narcissism fear and insecurities. Humans simply don't understand that we can and do form social order based on very bad gap filling. Just like the ancient Egyptians were successful for 3,000 years creating their social order around the very false belief that their polytheistic gods were real.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
11-06-2016, 06:47 AM
(11-06-2016 06:11 AM)carusmm Wrote:  [...] Clearly, you are under the false perception that I am religious.
Nope. I perceive you more as a total fucking moron who spends far too much time polishing the rocket.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
11-06-2016, 07:03 AM
(11-06-2016 06:20 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 06:15 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Pseudoscience = fake science

Examples: homeopathy, anti-vaccine movement, mineral oils, anything Deepak Chopra says, ghost hunters

Not an example: books that use science and scientific ideas and scientific explanations to discuss certain topics (like the god delusion. Dawkins doesn't claim in that book to have scientifically disproven a god, but offers scientific explanations for things associated with a god and/or god belief. You're straw manning Dawkins)

There is no proof of any science in Richard Dawkins' God delusion.

Post the page and line where he claims there is.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-06-2016, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2016 07:50 AM by carusmm.)
(11-06-2016 06:23 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 06:20 AM)carusmm Wrote:  There is no proof of any science in Richard Dawkins' God delusion.

Drinking Beverage

The poor man didn't even know what substance was to an theologian. But instead of trying to find out, he mocked the whole idea through ignorance. Scientist?! My foot.
11-06-2016, 07:48 AM
(11-06-2016 07:38 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 06:23 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I see the trolls are out today. How hilarious. "If I make fun of Dawkins and 'the god delusion' it'll really piss them off."

Drinking Beverage

The poor man didn't even know what substance was to an theologian. But instead of trying to find out, he mock the whole idea through ignorance. Scientist?! My foot.

Keep trying to find the nerve. I seem to have run out of fucks to give

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
11-06-2016, 07:51 AM
(11-06-2016 07:48 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 07:38 AM)carusmm Wrote:  The poor man didn't even know what substance was to an theologian. But instead of trying to find out, he mock the whole idea through ignorance. Scientist?! My foot.

Keep trying to find the nerve. I seem to have run out of fucks to give

Someone certainly hasn't evolved.
11-06-2016, 10:07 AM
(10-06-2016 12:15 AM)carusmm Wrote:  A pseudoscience is a theory for which there is no proof, which leaves Richard Dawkins and the theologians sparring with one another over nothing, about nothing, and never mind the bollocks.

I think you have your wires crossed there. Pseudo-science makes bold and even outrageous claims, and states as a fact, whereas scientist do not make claims, but theorise. It's really easy to look up, in the dictionary what the word 'science' means and the scientific method. It's also easy to understand what is a fact and what isn't. It's also easy to understand what may not be understood at the present, which may be put into a theory and then tested, which may or may not result to be a fact in human understanding terms.
11-06-2016, 10:29 AM
(10-06-2016 03:26 AM)carusmm Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 02:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  What has that to do with the issue?

You don't appear to understand what pseudoscience is and try to deflect with an irrelevant reference.

You are not very good at this. Drinking Beverage

I will appeal to authority which is not logical but it is all that I have. My definition of pseudoscience comes indirectly from Bill Nye, therefore if you must blame anyone for my bad behaviour here, then I'd blame him.

Even your sentence structure is clunky. If you must blame....then I blame.... Weird.