What is a religious experience?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2016, 02:45 PM
What is a religious experience?
Hi,

What is it to have a religious experience?

Richard Swinburne has suggested, “A private experience which may not be described using normal language.”

Of course, some philosophers will say that all private experience has something indescribable about it, as no one else can know exactly how another person feels, but I think Swinburne is talking about ‘mysticism’.

Just occasionally I have had a feeling of the oneness of the world, dropping away of the ego and a feeling of great calm. Of course, these are words that I am trying to use to express the feeling and they are inadequate even to myself. But I know that something happened. It never happened in a church, but just randomly when alone in nature. The feeling of calm was not about me being calm in myself, but of the whole world being calm. It lasted for only a few seconds, and when I tried to catch it, the feeling was gone.

That’s all I have to offer on ‘religious experience’; does anyone else have an experience (or lack of it) to share?

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-07-2016, 03:01 PM
RE: What is a religious experience?
I think it's just brain chemicals doing what they do.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
27-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Nothing, word salad.

In reality what humans are really describing is an neurological electro/chemical reaction in the brain when they observe something that gives them a deep sense of comfort, a "sense of awe".

Atheists have those feelings too. I feel a deep sense of awe when thinking about my mother and her love for me. I have a deep sense of awe when I think about my two best friends and how lucky I am to have them. I have a deep sense of awe when I think about the beauty in nature and even the destructive power such as a earthquake or volcano or black hole. The shear size of the universe is very intense for me to ponder.

It is nothing more than an old phrase born out of gap filling ignorance.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
27-07-2016, 03:04 PM
There was these two girls I met at an Easyrider's Rodeo..........................................

I dunno if it classified as "religious" -- but I'd say it was pretty illuminating.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-07-2016, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2016 05:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-07-2016 02:45 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  What is it to have a religious experience?

Richard Swinburne has suggested, “A private experience which may not be described using normal language.”

I have experienced that ineffable state many times with the help of supplements which had nothing to do with religion.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-07-2016, 03:26 PM
It's important to differentiate between "religious experience" and "spiritual experience". Some to take care in doing whilst trying to define one or the other. Do not let religions fool you that they have a monopoly on spirituality.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
27-07-2016, 03:55 PM
I assume it is assumptions, mixed with ignorance and incredulity as well as confirmation bias.

A person desperately needs money as they are getting behind on the bills, power is threatened to be cut off etc. Just when all is looking grim a rich relative dies leaving money, or perhaps they win lotto or perhaps get a pay rise or bonus or something. Due to the timing of it all they assume it was god's work, helping them out in their hour of need.

Or perhaps they read from the bible and feel a sense of euphoria. They think that they are experiencing the holy spirit giving them happy feelings for doing good in reading the bible, helping them to understand it or letting them know they are on the right path.

Perhaps they had trouble starting the car in the morning. they cursed their luck, but then they found out later that there had been a serious accident on the motorway. They praise god for saving them from being caught up in that accident.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
27-07-2016, 04:21 PM
(27-07-2016 03:26 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  It's important to differentiate between "religious experience" and "spiritual experience". Some to take care in doing whilst trying to define one or the other. Do not let religions fool you that they have a monopoly on spirituality.

No.. not really....

Woo, is woo -- any way you slice it.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-07-2016, 04:24 PM
What is it like? It is like WOW,like smoking that silly weed and being really gone on it. Try Graham Hancock's book Supernatural to discover one man's opinion on that. Like wow dudes and babes. Let it beeeeee!
27-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Maybe something like this??

[Image: 82762-Magic-Mushrooms.jpg]

Or this?

[Image: lucy_in_the_sky_with_diamonds_by_jimjimf...6i3ygy.jpg]

Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;