What is/are not "one" or "many"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2013, 07:19 PM

What is/are not "one" or "many"
What things that are not "one", "singular" or "multiple"/"many"? Maybe for example, we can say actual infinity is/are not one or many because it's uncountable. But yet many people still said that actual infinity can only be one. How can be there are only one actual infinity, whereas we can't fully comprehend infinity? We can say there is only one infinity and there are multiple infinities but perhaps the true nature of infinity isn't even what we have defined.

Regarding the monotheists and especially deists and pandeists and the like, how can they say that we can only worship and believe in ONE god whereas their concept of God is that God is totally dissimilar to their creations and we can't compare the creations with God? So if they said there can be only true ONE all powerful God, then they are already compared God to their creations because, afaik there are many unique things even in our observable universe and God is actually uncountable because based on the belief of the monotheist and deist, God are infinite and all powerful. (If It indeed exist)

So, are there things that aren't "one" or "many"? I think, possibly we can find such things in physics such as QM, right?
Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2013, 07:23 PM
RE: What is/are not "one" or "many"
one is an arbitrary cut on reality, one person is many cells, one cell is many molecules, and so on... in the same sense, many is arbitrary as everything is one thing, in a continuum... so yeah, everything is not one or many

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
20-09-2013, 08:40 PM
The problem with transferring mathematical infinity to philosophy is that the units are undefined. Number is just a number.

There's a threshold value, a tipping point; later, hydrogen is typing on an Internet forum. Undecided

There's blue, but we're evolved to calculate.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
20-09-2013, 11:42 PM

Can someone here give a more detailed explanation about what are the things that are not "one" or "many"? Some people I asked they said such things maybe can be found in mysticism, philosophy and QM. As for the former I think both of it only mainly deal with mental concepts whereas QM is more reasonable.

Regarding the monotheists and especially deists and pandeists and the like, how can they say that we can only worship and believe in ONE god whereas their concept of God is that God is totally dissimilar to their creations and we can't compare the creations with God? So if they said there can be only true ONE all powerful God, then they are already compared God to their creations because, afaik there are many unique things even in our observable universe and God is actually uncountable because based on the belief of the monotheist and deist, God are infinite and all powerful. (If It indeed exist)
21-09-2013, 12:40 AM
We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
I however, am Planck Jebus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_constant

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

21-09-2013, 12:56 AM

(21-09-2013 12:40 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Sorry for asking but where does it say that there are things that aren't one or many in the link you given?
21-09-2013, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2013 01:19 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-09-2013 12:56 AM)Mike Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 12:40 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Sorry for asking but where does it say that there are things that aren't one or many in the link you given?

Nowhere.
The Planck constant is the smallest unit that can be measured.
There is no coherent definition of a "god".

Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

21-09-2013, 01:17 AM

(21-09-2013 01:01 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 12:56 AM)Mike Wrote:  Sorry for asking but where does it say that there are things that aren't one or many in the link you given?

Nowhere.
The Plank constant is the smallest unit that can be measured.

Thanks for clearing that up. Regarding the things that aren't one or many, are there such things in QM? Do you agree if someone said that whole all encompassing thing such as say, space as one?
21-09-2013, 01:28 AM
(21-09-2013 01:17 AM)Mike Wrote:  
(21-09-2013 01:01 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nowhere.
The Planck constant is the smallest unit that can be measured.

Thanks for clearing that up. Regarding the things that aren't one or many, are there such things in QM? Do you agree if someone said that whole all encompassing thing such as say, space as one?

Don't really know. I was joking, really.
I think there's an argument about this, (maybe it's a settled issue ??), hopefully someone like cjlr will weigh in ...
Wheeler and others have tried to say the Pauli Exclusion Principle lead to the One Electron idea, (I think) .. ??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-electron_universe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle

21-09-2013, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2013 01:51 AM by absols.)
infinity objectively is through two factors

freedom and superiority

what is in between is finite so postively real, which is a kind of infinite value by its fact alone

freedom as an absolute factor, is freedom out of infinite value

but freedom by its fact is infinite existence

freedom fact mean that out of any u r else, so u keep being else or none certainly which cant b nothing since present so is infinite definition

superiority too is infinite existence

out of finite positive realities ends superiority sense is possibly right

but superiority is infinite fact

bc certainly positive while not a positive that can b known or even conceived, so infinite from what it is present while certainly nver finite

so negative way of proving infinite

when we know this, it is easy then to deduce some truths

like truth fundamental base is free superiority and superior freedom

like what u cant ever planned nor mean nor point nor project, bc it is the real present value so infinite value

but also u can deduce what is not true

freedom that are not superior so not positive sources are not free, liars

superior that force any instead of realizing its freedom fact by recognizing else freedom rights, is not related to superiority at all, so liars and lies too