What is/are your Pet Peev(s)?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 12:12 PM
RE: What is/are your Pet Peev(s)?
(10-09-2014 12:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 03:33 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Drivers who stop way short of the car in front of them and block anyone who might be trying to jump into the turn lane they are blocking.

I sort of do this sometimes, but only because of one of my pet peeves -- when people pull up to a red light, and then after a few seconds, pull ahead another foot or two, and then after a few more seconds, pull ahead another foot or two, and so on. Why do they do this? Is their car going to blow up if it stops moving for more than a few seconds? Why not just get as far up as you're going to go right away and then wait for the light to change? When the person in front of me does this, a gap is going to develop, because I'm not going to keep creeping ahead a few feet at a time. Once I stop for the red light, I'm not moving again until it turns green.

Consider So you are peeved at the guy in front of you, therefore the guy behind you is blocked from turning?

Facepalm

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 12:27 PM by Adrianime.)
(10-09-2014 11:49 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 10:50 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Where in the English language does "ou" make a sound like "ew"?

Tomato, Tomato. Route, Route, ect. There will always be people who say words differently, that's why English is one of the tougher languages to learn. As long as people know what your talking about who cares.
I went through a month or two back in school covering the different sounds that certain combinations of letters could make in English.

Tom"ah"to vs Tom"ay"to
and
R"ow"t vs r"oo"t

Both are valid variations of the vowel "a" and the vowel combination of "ou".

The vowel combination "ou" however has no valid variation that makes the "ew" sound. At least not based on what I learned.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
10-09-2014, 12:30 PM
(10-09-2014 12:22 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 11:49 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Tomato, Tomato. Route, Route, ect. There will always be people who say words differently, that's why English is one of the tougher languages to learn. As long as people know what your talking about who cares.
I went through a month or two back in school covering the different sounds that certain combinations of letters could make in English.

Tom"ah"to vs Tom"ay"to
and
R"ow"t vs r"oo"t

The vowel combination "ou" however has no valid variation that makes the "ew" sound. At least not based on what I learned.

Well if they allow YOLO in the dictionary I will say coupon with an ew sound Laugh out load

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
10-09-2014, 12:32 PM
(10-09-2014 12:12 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 12:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I sort of do this sometimes, but only because of one of my pet peeves -- when people pull up to a red light, and then after a few seconds, pull ahead another foot or two, and then after a few more seconds, pull ahead another foot or two, and so on. Why do they do this? Is their car going to blow up if it stops moving for more than a few seconds? Why not just get as far up as you're going to go right away and then wait for the light to change? When the person in front of me does this, a gap is going to develop, because I'm not going to keep creeping ahead a few feet at a time. Once I stop for the red light, I'm not moving again until it turns green.

Consider So you are peeved at the guy in front of you, therefore the guy behind you is blocked from turning?

Facepalm

Here in Oregon the drivers are overly polite. You wouldn't think this would be a problem but it really is. When a person is coming out of a parking lot to make a left turn onto a four laned road in city traffic, a driver will stop to let the person make a safe left turn. Except the car exiting the parking lot can't see past the immediate lane to see if there are other cars coming. I've see three accidents from this kind of politeness. Nutty drivers here.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-09-2014, 12:32 PM
When I'm standing at a corner waiting to cross the street and someone in a car that does not need to stop stops anyway and starts waving me across. Angry
Now when I need to cross I don't look at anyone driving so as not to encourage this waving me across bullshit.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
10-09-2014, 12:33 PM
(10-09-2014 12:22 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 11:49 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Tomato, Tomato. Route, Route, ect. There will always be people who say words differently, that's why English is one of the tougher languages to learn. As long as people know what your talking about who cares.

Tom"ah"to vs Tom"ay"to
and
R"ow"t vs r"oo"t

This one came up over summer vacation

Root beer

Root ( rhymes with boot). Or root (rhymes with foot- well not exactly)

Consider

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
10-09-2014, 12:36 PM
(10-09-2014 12:22 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  R"ow"t vs r"oo"t

In the dialect I grew up with r"ow"t is a verb that means to clear out and r"oo"t is a noun that means 'path' or a verb that means to specify a path. It grates every time I hear somebody use r"ow"t to describe the path they took. It just sounds so wrong.

Kew-pon just sounds pretentious; like Tyoosday instead of Toosday.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
10-09-2014, 12:52 PM
(10-09-2014 12:12 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 12:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I sort of do this sometimes, but only because of one of my pet peeves -- when people pull up to a red light, and then after a few seconds, pull ahead another foot or two, and then after a few more seconds, pull ahead another foot or two, and so on. Why do they do this? Is their car going to blow up if it stops moving for more than a few seconds? Why not just get as far up as you're going to go right away and then wait for the light to change? When the person in front of me does this, a gap is going to develop, because I'm not going to keep creeping ahead a few feet at a time. Once I stop for the red light, I'm not moving again until it turns green.

Facepalm

We might be talking about different situations. Since I ride a bike (don't even own a car), the only time I'm ever in the line with cars is in a left-turn lane. So the car(s) in front of me and the car(s) in back of me and I are all turning left, and nobody is blocking anyone from turning. The people behind me are just a little farther back than they would be if the guy in front had pulled all the way up.

I'm having trouble visualizing a situation where this would block someone from turning. If that were the case, I would get out of their way if possible. I generally try to be courteous to the drivers of other vehicles on the road. I just refuse to play the "creep" game at a red light.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
10-09-2014, 12:58 PM
(10-09-2014 12:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 12:12 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Consider So you are peeved at the guy in front of you, therefore the guy behind you is blocked from turning?

Facepalm

Here in Oregon the drivers are overly polite. You wouldn't think this would be a problem but it really is. When a person is coming out of a parking lot to make a left turn onto a four laned road in city traffic, a driver will stop to let the person make a safe left turn. Except the car exiting the parking lot can't see past the immediate lane to see if there are other cars coming. I've see three accidents from this kind of politeness. Nutty drivers here.

I hear ya! Why can't people just follow the rules of the road???

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
10-09-2014, 01:00 PM
These that people have already mentioned:
(08-09-2014 03:33 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Drivers who stop way short of the car in front of them and block anyone who might be trying to jump into the turn lane they are blocking.

Those who don't use turn signals. It's easy as fuck and helps everyone get down the road without an accident.
(08-09-2014 07:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  People who park in disabled parking spots when they aren't disabled.
(08-09-2014 07:20 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Tailgaters!
(09-09-2014 02:14 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  People who text during a movie. Just give it a rest people. The world will still be there after the movie is over. Geesh.
(10-09-2014 01:27 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  - People who flash their headlights to warn me that there's a cop up ahead. Every time you flash your lights, you have NO idea whether or not the person you're flashing at has a kidnapped child in the front seat or is drunk off their ass. I can't help but wonder how many kids have gone unsaved or how many people have been run over later on because some moron has a "fuck the po-lice!" mindset and decided to help people avoid justice.

And a few more:
1. When you say "hi" to someone that you are walking by and they say nothing in return.
2. People that are owned by their smart phones - they can't do anything without simultaneously being on their phone - driving, talking, movies, shopping, anything - and they have to answer each text the second it arrives no matter what else is going on.
3. When I wave someone to go ahead in another car and, instead of going, they then wave me to go ahead. (So many driving peeves. That's just one.)
4. People that take other people's food from the common work refrigerator.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post