What is/are your Pet Peev(s)?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 01:29 PM
RE: What is/are your Pet Peev(s)?
(10-09-2014 12:52 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 12:12 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Consider So you are peeved at the guy in front of you, therefore the guy behind you is blocked from turning?

Facepalm

We might be talking about different situations. Since I ride a bike (don't even own a car), the only time I'm ever in the line with cars is in a left-turn lane. So the car(s) in front of me and the car(s) in back of me and I are all turning left, and nobody is blocking anyone from turning. The people behind me are just a little farther back than they would be if the guy in front had pulled all the way up.

I'm having trouble visualizing a situation where this would block someone from turning. If that were the case, I would get out of their way if possible. I generally try to be courteous to the drivers of other vehicles on the road. I just refuse to play the "creep" game at a red light.

I am thinking of right turn lanes ( in the US). So there is a car at the light, and car 2 stops a full car length short, and blocks car 3 from entering a turn right lane. If car 2 would move up to the empty space, car 3 could access the turn lane - one less car sitting at a light.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 01:34 PM by Adrianime.)
(10-09-2014 12:33 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  This one came up over summer vacation

Root beer

Root ( rhymes with boot). Or root (rhymes with foot- well not exactly)

Consider
Hmm, I've never heard anybody pronounce the root in root beeR in any other way than rhyming with boot (assuming we say boot the same way).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
10-09-2014, 01:33 PM
(10-09-2014 01:31 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 12:33 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  This one came up over summer vacation

Root beer

Consider
Hmm, I've never heard anybody pronounce the root in root beet in any other way than rhyming with boot (assuming we say boot the same way).

The roots of beets and boots are the same?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-09-2014, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 01:37 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
Traffic circles! OMFG!

I know they are brilliant at keeping traffic moving, and have all sorts of other great qualities but people in America can't seem to understand the whole concept of " keep moving' and YIELD. Most seem to think yield means stop. Every car, every time (on my commute) stops at the curve thereby defeats the purpose.

Too polite drivers annoy me too, they are a serious road hazard.

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
10-09-2014, 01:35 PM
(10-09-2014 01:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 01:31 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hmm, I've never heard anybody pronounce the root in root beet in any other way than rhyming with boot (assuming we say boot the same way).

Thumbsup Got it boss.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
10-09-2014, 01:35 PM
(10-09-2014 01:33 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 01:31 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hmm, I've never heard anybody pronounce the root in root beet in any other way than rhyming with boot (assuming we say boot the same way).

Chicago.

10-09-2014, 01:52 PM
(10-09-2014 01:31 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  

Root beer

Consider
Hmm, I've never heard anybody pronounce the root in root beeR in any other way than rhyming with boot (assuming we say boot the same way).

I've heard it both ways, and may even have said it both ways. But I pronounce route to rhyme with out, and coupon is koo'-pon.

Pronunciations that make me cringe:

ekcetera
ekspecially
realtor as three syllables (there is no vowel between the l and the t)
wolf pronounced as "woof"
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
10-09-2014, 01:53 PM
(10-09-2014 01:35 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Chicago.

IIRC The place of wild onions... ? I miss something?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-09-2014, 02:34 PM
(10-09-2014 12:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 12:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Here in Oregon the drivers are overly polite. You wouldn't think this would be a problem but it really is. When a person is coming out of a parking lot to make a left turn onto a four laned road in city traffic, a driver will stop to let the person make a safe left turn. Except the car exiting the parking lot can't see past the immediate lane to see if there are other cars coming. I've see three accidents from this kind of politeness. Nutty drivers here.

I hear ya! Why can't people just follow the rules of the road???

This was never a problem in California. If you were exiting left from parking lot onto a city street you just had to wait for a gap and get out there fast but with the "nice" Oregonian driver stopping for you it's very hard to see down the street to see if the other lanes are open. I hate that. Other than that, Oregon drivers are nice, especially when you're trying to get onto the freeway. In Los Angeles they try to run you off the road and give you the finger..... just because.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-09-2014, 03:03 PM
(10-09-2014 01:52 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 01:31 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Hmm, I've never heard anybody pronounce the root in root beeR in any other way than rhyming with boot (assuming we say boot the same way).

I've heard it both ways, and may even have said it both ways. But I pronounce route to rhyme with out, and coupon is koo'-pon.

Pronunciations that make me cringe:

ekcetera
ekspecially
realtor as three syllables (there is no vowel between the l and the t)
wolf pronounced as "woof"

More cringeworthy word pronunciations:

Italian, pronounced Eyetalian
Across... acrost

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.