What is/are your Pet Peev(s)?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 01:03 AM
RE: What is/are your Pet Peev(s)?
(10-09-2014 01:33 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Traffic circles! OMFG!

I know they are brilliant at keeping traffic moving, and have all sorts of other great qualities but people in America can't seem to understand the whole concept of " keep moving' and YIELD. Most seem to think yield means stop. Every car, every time (on my commute) stops at the curve thereby defeats the purpose.

Too polite drivers annoy me too, they are a serious road hazard.

I was taking my grandmother to the store recently and we had to drive through a traffic circle. There was a yield sign and, unfortunately, she was the one driving, and she stopped. She used to be a school bus driver and apparently (from what I've gathered from her, mind you; this might not be true) yield signs mean "STOP" to bus drivers, and she seems to think that bus rules apply to the general public. Then she criticized the driver in front of us for only slowing down to yield and proceeded to "educate" me on how to properly stop at a yield sign. Dodgy

Which reminds me:

- Anything my grandmother does/says.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
12-09-2014, 05:38 AM
(10-09-2014 01:33 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Traffic circles! OMFG!

I know they are brilliant at keeping traffic moving, and have all sorts of other great qualities but people in America can't seem to understand the whole concept of " keep moving' and YIELD. Most seem to think yield means stop. Every car, every time (on my commute) stops at the curve thereby defeats the purpose.

Too polite drivers annoy me too, they are a serious road hazard.

The first time I encountered a traffic circle I was a little afraid I was going to be there forever; or at least till I ran out of gas and got towed to somewhere else. Blink

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
13-09-2014, 10:32 PM
When people use "literally" for things that clearly did not literally happen. "I literally puked my guts out", "My blood was literally boiling", etc.

And the internet has instilled a burning hatred for the phrase "Wow. Just...wow" in me.

Popcorn Putting more thought into fiction than a lot of people put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
13-09-2014, 11:40 PM
(13-09-2014 10:32 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  When people use "literally" for things that clearly did not literally happen. "I literally puked my guts out", "My blood was literally boiling", etc.

And the internet has instilled a burning hatred for the phrase "Wow. Just...wow" in me.

Must... resist... urge... to... reply... with "Wow... just... wow"... Oshit. Literally...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
14-09-2014, 09:48 AM
(11-09-2014 02:51 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 10:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I picked up saying Tyoosday when I lived in Australia.

Aussies should learn English the right american way.

This from the guy who is usually bashing anything American. Facepalm

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-09-2014, 09:59 AM
(14-09-2014 09:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 02:51 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Aussies should learn English the right american way.

This from the guy who is usually bashing anything American. Facepalm

yup

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
14-09-2014, 09:16 PM
(13-09-2014 10:32 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  When people use "literally" for things that clearly did not literally happen. "I literally puked my guts out", "My blood was literally boiling", etc.

We have similar peeves!

"I literally puked my guts out" what a stupid claim... The only correct answer to such a statement is simply: "You are not a shark."

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
15-09-2014, 12:52 AM
For the literally thing. I'd say it depends on if the person knows what they are saying. For instance a comic might say that in such a way that it is obviously a lie, but the word choice helps with the irony or delivery of the joke. But even in obviously incorrect use cases...I'd just let it go.

Which reminds me, another pet peeve of mine (although minor):
Grammar and/or spelling hounds on the net who go after sentences whose meanings were already clear and understandable. A forum is not a classroom.

And another:
People who cannot handle a difference of opinion without resorting to insulting or attacking the character of the person whose opinion differs.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
15-09-2014, 05:04 PM
When people at work schedule meetings for X:00, but don't show up until X:05 or X:10.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
18-09-2014, 03:59 PM
People who don't use the spaces provided by the default forum formatting when quoting people.

The forum itself gives you a space between the quote line and where you could be writing, damnit! Having no separation between quote and your own writing just looks bad...

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.