What is entertainment?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2013, 05:48 AM
What is entertainment?
Is entertainment anything meaningful? many people in the west follow what their favorite stars are doing, can't wait to watch the next episode of something, grown men wear jerseys with other mens names on them, people get emotionally invested sports, movies, music. Do they do this because there is some deeper meaning in entertainment?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2013, 11:29 AM
RE: What is entertainment?
(27-09-2013 05:48 AM)I and I Wrote:  Is entertainment anything meaningful? many people in the west follow what their favorite stars are doing, can't wait to watch the next episode of something, grown men wear jerseys with other mens names on them, people get emotionally invested sports, movies, music. Do they do this because there is some deeper meaning in entertainment?

yesDroolingThumbsupLaughatHoboDrooling
27-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Some people take up entertainment simply and only because it appeals to them greatly. They enjoy it. However, some people can use sources of entertainment as an outing- to take their minds off of stresses in their lives. Smile

(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists.
27-09-2013, 12:02 PM
(27-09-2013 05:48 AM)I and I Wrote:  Is entertainment anything meaningful? many people in the west follow what their favorite stars are doing, can't wait to watch the next episode of something, grown men wear jerseys with other mens names on them, people get emotionally invested sports, movies, music. Do they do this because there is some deeper meaning in entertainment?

Could conspiracy have factors that qualify as "entertainment"?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
27-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Obviously nothing is meaningful without god. Why do you ask?

It's a bummer that good ol' Xtian entertainment is no longer available, Burnin' witches an' shit. That was proper fun.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
27-09-2013, 03:06 PM
(27-09-2013 12:03 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  

Obviously nothing is meaningful without god. Why do you ask?

It's a bummer that good ol' Xtian entertainment is no longer available, Burnin' witches an' shit. That was proper fun.

Do you miss burning witches?
27-09-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't ( if u know what I mean :wink: )

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
28-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Life has no inherent meaning... so we have to find something that means something to us.

Entertainment really is just a way to pacify the mind. People tend to think of boredom as being a relaxed state, where the brain's activity is reduced... really boredom is the opposite, it's a state in which the brain is more active.

Without something stimulating/entertaining we feel uncomfortable and restless... and floor pacing usually follows.

I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft,
We have constructed pyramids in honor of our escaping.
- Jim Morrison
28-09-2013, 09:42 AM
(28-09-2013 09:32 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Life has no inherent meaning... so we have to find something that means something to us.

Exactly. The meaning of life is to give life meaning. Big Grin

(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists.
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post
28-09-2013, 09:49 AM
wait...video games weren't on the list??? as for entertainment being meaningful, well people do learn from plays and books and such; and music invokes emotions (lo shitty wording). So I think there is some meaning in entertainment because of our reactions to it.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.