What is faith?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2013, 10:36 AM
RE: What is faith?
The video is interesting. Archaeological finds rebuke a recent dating of the OT and also JEDP theory.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2013, 10:41 AM
(13-02-2013 10:35 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:The bible makes claims about the Universe that include: The Earth being flat, the Earth being the center of the universe, the Earth being on pillars, the Earth either being young or the evidence for it being old the work of god (or the devil as no one seems to agree on which evil bastard did it), a global flood occurring during the time of recorded history but one that left no evidence behind in the physical world, that there was an ocean above the sky. We could go on for a while with these, but the point is that it got about 0 descriptions of how the Universe and Earth work correct
I'd like to begin here, if that is okay. (Actually I don't but I feel compelled).
The Earth is spherical in Job. I've read the Bible many times and unable to recall how it is the center of the universe--I'd LOVE a verse on this since that and relativity would clear up some mysteries; the earth on pillars inside the mantle/crust is a cornerstone of hydroplate theory--I have no problem with that--these pillars would of necessity (to hydroplate theory) be deeper than current technology can reach, the Bible says the mountains and physical elements are ancient, the Bible the geophysical Earth predates life on Earth, there are NO Bible statements that the Earth is exceptionally young, there are NO Bible statements that saying it is old is demonic, Genesis does not say an ocean above the (trophosphere) sky, it says "separated waters above from waters below" which could be subterranean waters or a separation of a physical Heaven outside the vastness of space--your statements make me question your Bible reading--they just sound like regurgitated crap from some cultic church or dark corner of the Internet... I have no problem with ANY Bible question or Bible theory as long as you're saying what the Bible actually says then we can resolve or discuss. Thanks!
Right... No . I'm the crazy one for thinking the bible and theists say those things.

Hydroplate theory? Really? Let me just put it this way A) I am a geologist, and what you speak is nonsense. B) "be deeper than current technology can reach" is also laughable. We can, and have, imaged the interior of the Earth via earthquakes and seismic imaging. No pillars.

And Job does not say the Earth is a sphere. It says it is circular. Anything sufficiently large, will appear circular when viewed from above if the edges are not visible. It could be a rectangle and it would appear circular. That is why a drawing compass draws circles.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-02-2013, 10:42 AM
(13-02-2013 10:36 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  The video is interesting. Archaeological finds rebuke a recent dating of the OT and also JEDP theory.
Christian archaeology or legit science? Show me that reference.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Huh
I'm surprised that no one picked up on this...

(08-02-2013 03:48 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ...
I've read the entire Bible in multiple versions multiple times. There's no freethinker on this forum that has read the entire Bible 20-plus times, is there?

I can think of at least 4 of us who have.

It's got that "can't put it down" quality. Part horror, part hilarious parody of itself that makes Python's "Life of Brian" seem like a documentary.
It is, of course, mainly tedious repetition and does not come close to the Greek or Norse myths in terms of originality or creativity and Tolkien's Silmarillion knocks it out of the park when it comes to style, plot and character development.

But don't be put off. It is an interesting period piece with the kind or morality that would make fascist dictators blush (when they weren't scribbling notes for future reference) but is useful to make us feel good about how far humanity has advanced in such a short time.

Must read for anyone who enjoys poking fun at the faithful.

RRP $0.00 from any hotel

Also available: Bible II: The Quran... This Time It's Personal!

... said one review.

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
13-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Quote:Christian archaeology or legit science? Show me that reference.
You're showing your colors. Most archaeologists are the same as the rest of the populace. Non-Atheists. There are Jewish archaeologists (many of them) in Israel. There are respected Muslim archaeologists there, too, who are devout Muslims. How dare you? I respect your intellect but think perhaps we should close our conversations down for now.
13-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Quote:I can think of at least 4 of us who have.
All ears. What made you do it the 18th, the 19th, time?
Quote:Tolkien's Silmarillion knocks it out of the park when it comes to style, plot and character development.
Interesting. A large chunk of repeat LOTR and Hobbit readers couldn't get past the songs of the Ainur and called it quits or read the whole thing and then never again... I think you may have a personal bias there.
Able were you ere you called Elbereth.
13-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Re: What is faith?
I did not say an archeaologist who is also Christian, but someone who claims to be an archeaologist and is slanted towards religious bias because nothing they produce is science.

Like the term "Christian Scientist." When someone uses that term, they don't mean they are a scientist and they are a Christian, they mean they are a Christian that does pseudoscience in the name of their religion.

Is this legit science or is it published by pseudoscience Christian publications?

—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Edit: Nevermind.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
13-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Re: What is faith?
It's cute that you think you are claiming the moral and/or intellectual high-ground here though. Weren't you accusing me a while back of acting superior?

—Thomas Henry Huxley
13-02-2013, 12:54 PM
(13-02-2013 12:47 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:I can think of at least 4 of us who have.

All ears. What made you do it the 18th, the 19th, time?

The voices in my head made me do it.

I thought it was our lord and saviour but now I realise it was Lucifer and his Satanic hoard.

I'm better now I have medication. Thanks for asking.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post