What is faith?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2013, 11:31 PM
RE: What is faith?
DLJ Wrote:The bible's main message to woman?

1 Timothy 2:12
Know your fucking place!
Hmm... I have a like button... where's my dislike button? Better still, I could do with a middle finger button for that tripe. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2013, 12:14 AM
(13-02-2013 11:31 PM)kim Wrote:  
DLJ Wrote:The bible's main message to woman?

1 Timothy 2:12
Know your fucking place!
Hmm... I have a like button... where's my dislike button? Better still, I could do with a middle finger button for that tripe. Dodgy

Ok, then (or rather, now)...

What would you say is the main message of the Bible to woman?

Smile

14-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Oh, I know what it says. I just feel compelled to express my full appreciation for it. [Image: 078.gif]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-02-2013, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2013 03:03 AM by DLJ.)
I think that this is the aspect of faith that I struggle with most.

I get how womankind lost their dominant role as societies morphed from small autonomous settlements into city cultures, trading their power (and pedestals) for security.

But why do they still choose the faith method over the scientific method?

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's a generalisation but even amongst the ladies I work with (mostly mocktail Muslims © ) this is very much the case.

Surely any woman when reading whichsoever of their inherited screeds / creeds would say...
Fuck that!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
14-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Quote:I never read anything on this thread...just the title of it. Too lazy.

Faith is a belief in supernatural claims without evidence, PERIOD.
Agreed, unless we're reading the Bible. God Himself says to test Him.
And everyone's myopia is coloring their understanding of women in the Bible. The Romans had cultic prostitution, fornication and wives were like property while the wealthy kept mistresses openly. By contrast, Jesus has female apostles!
But I understand the invective about women's roles that you have. The long and the short of is that 1 Tim 2 and other passages are best translated "wives" and not "women"... finish reading the passage ... uh, CONTEXT. Christians would never tell single women "you will be preserved through childbearing..." Childbearing is for spouses.
Oh, wait more CONTEXT. In synagogues, the men and women would sit separately. Wives speaking to their husbands were interrupting the teaching from the Bema. They were to do the same as the husbands did, listen, and then talk about it at home. Women were "told" elsewhere in the NT to pray, direct men, speak in tongues, etc, etc.
Please don't even bother replying with your foolishness about women and men in the OT. These are all the verses anyone cares to discuss, and not the poetry of Psalms or the magnificence of Ecclesiastes, etc.
CONTEXT.
14-02-2013, 07:42 AM
(14-02-2013 07:40 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Agreed, unless we're reading the Bible. God Himself says to test Him.
And everyone's myopia is coloring their understanding of women in the Bible. The Romans had cultic prostitution, fornication and wives were like property while the wealthy kept mistresses openly. By contrast, Jesus has female apostles!
But I understand the invective about women's roles that you have. The long and the short of is that 1 Tim 2 and other passages are best translated "wives" and not "women"... finish reading the passage ... uh, CONTEXT. Christians would never tell single women "you will be preserved through childbearing..." Childbearing is for spouses.
Oh, wait more CONTEXT. In synagogues, the men and women would sit separately. Wives speaking to their husbands were interrupting the teaching from the Bema. They were to do the same as the husbands did, listen, and then talk about it at home. Women were "told" elsewhere in the NT to pray, direct men, speak in tongues, etc, etc.
Please don't even bother replying with your foolishness about women and men in the OT. These are all the verses anyone cares to discuss, and not the poetry of Psalms or the magnificence of Ecclesiastes, etc.
CONTEXT.
[Image: 23831702.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
14-02-2013, 08:06 AM
(14-02-2013 07:40 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  These are all the verses anyone cares to discuss, and not the poetry of Psalms or the magnificence of Ecclesiastes, etc.
CONTEXT.

The denial is strong in this one.

Consider

Methinks the Bible's 10th commandment and the Quran's Chapter 4:34 has been overlooked. Blink

Nice try at setting the agenda though. Very revealing.

Thumbsup

It crosses my mind, however, that, to my knowledge, we don't have any female theists here on TTA.

So maybe there is hope after all.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
14-02-2013, 08:11 AM
(14-02-2013 08:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 07:40 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  These are all the verses anyone cares to discuss, and not the poetry of Psalms or the magnificence of Ecclesiastes, etc.
CONTEXT.

The denial is strong in this one.

Consider

Methinks the Bible's 10th commandment and the Quran's Chapter 4:34 has been overlooked. Blink

Nice try at setting the agenda though. Very revealing.

Thumbsup

It crosses my mind, however, that, to my knowledge, we don't have any female theists here on TTA.

So maybe there is hope after all.

Let your women be silent in the assemblies, for they are not allowed to speak, but to be in subjection, just as The Written Law also says.
1 Corinthians 14

That's why. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-02-2013, 08:22 AM
So the point of doubting Thomas' story was...

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
14-02-2013, 08:31 AM
(14-02-2013 08:22 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So the point of doubting Thomas' story was...

I never doubted Thomas' story for a moment. How dare you suggest otherwise.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post