What is faith?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2013, 08:32 AM
RE: What is faith?
(14-02-2013 08:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I never doubted Thomas' story for a moment. How dare you suggest otherwise.
You should've. He's a compulsive liar, that one. And I know whereof I speak Weeping

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2013, 08:41 AM
(14-02-2013 08:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 08:22 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So the point of doubting Thomas' story was...

I never doubted Thomas' story for a moment. How dare you suggest otherwise.
I doubt that the doubt you felt was really doubt about hearing about the doubt that Thomas felt. I doubt you even understand that... Confused

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
14-02-2013, 08:45 AM
And you are still prattling off parts of that book to atheists as if it is going to get you anywhere. Would a Buddhist give a rat's ass about any of its verses (in or out of context)? A Muslim? A Wiccan? A Pagan? Etc. Etc.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
14-02-2013, 08:47 AM
(14-02-2013 08:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I doubt that the doubt you felt was really doubt about hearing about the doubt that Thomas felt. I doubt you even understand that... Confused

Undoubtedly, your assertion is highly doubtful. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-02-2013, 08:51 AM
(14-02-2013 08:47 AM)kim Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 08:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I doubt that the doubt you felt was really doubt about hearing about the doubt that Thomas felt. I doubt you even understand that... Confused

Undoubtedly, your assertion is highly doubtful. Dodgy
I doubt you actually wrote that.

My hesitation and incredulity are related to my inability to accept on principle something for which disbelief is more logical. Furthermore, my uncertainty and wavering opinion on all matters related to religion are suspect and perplexing to the point of causing me great hesitation.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/doubt

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
14-02-2013, 09:09 AM
... and here we have it. We have come full circle.

(14-02-2013 08:51 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  ...
My hesitation and incredulity are related to my inability to accept on principle something for which disbelief is more logical. Furthermore, my uncertainty and wavering opinion on all matters related to religion are suspect and perplexing to the point of causing me great hesitation.

... therein lies the answer to your original question.

If you had that ability, what would it be called?

Thumbsup

14-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Re: What is faith?
Hold on, I know this one

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
14-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Quote:And you are still prattling off parts of that book to atheists as if it is going to get you anywhere. Would a Buddhist give a rat's ass about any of its verses (in or out of context)? A Muslim? A Wiccan? A Pagan? Etc. Etc.
Did someone hijack your account and replace you with someone on drugs?
Do you have the slightest clue how many moderate Muslims are on news shows daily, internationally, protesting that Jihadist verses are taken out of the context from the Qu'ran, for one example?
Do you have the slightest clue how current published authors rant and rave when they are taken out of context for sounds bites and biased reviews?
EVERYTHING needs context but especially the Bible, which comes with warnings inside like:
"...just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction."
and
This is why I speak to them in parables: "Though seeing, they do not see; though
hearing, they do not hear or understand.
14-02-2013, 09:33 AM
(14-02-2013 08:51 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(14-02-2013 08:47 AM)kim Wrote:  Undoubtedly, your assertion is highly doubtful. Dodgy
I doubt you actually wrote that.

Hey, just riffin' on doubt. S'all cool. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-02-2013, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2013 02:17 PM by Logica Humano.)
(14-02-2013 09:30 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:And you are still prattling off parts of that book to atheists as if it is going to get you anywhere. Would a Buddhist give a rat's ass about any of its verses (in or out of context)? A Muslim? A Wiccan? A Pagan? Etc. Etc.
Did someone hijack your account and replace you with someone on drugs?
Do you have the slightest clue how many moderate Muslims are on news shows daily, internationally, protesting that Jihadist verses are taken out of the context from the Qu'ran, for one example?
Do you have the slightest clue how current published authors rant and rave when they are taken out of context for sounds bites and biased reviews?
EVERYTHING needs context but especially the Bible, which comes with warnings inside like:
"...just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction."
and
This is why I speak to them in parables: "Though seeing, they do not see; though
hearing, they do not hear or understand.
The issue for "context" is that interpretations of the Bible are made by anyone who reads it. That is one of my major arguments against people wanting to derive any sort of spiritual meaning from these "holy" texts. They are too entirely old, generic, and anonymous for anyone to take them seriously. And I find that anyone attempts to debate about the interpretations of the Bible as though there is an objective meaning is absolutely deluded.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post