What is it about the US that Trump could be elected President?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2016, 09:55 PM
OK, that's a pretty broad title, so let me just clarify it here. What is it about US culture that this could happen? Is it the television mentality? Disaffection with the status quo? Plain old prejudice? Voter indifference to what they see as no effect for their vote? I have some opinions, but I'll wait for yours.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-11-2016, 10:11 PM
RE: What is it about the US that Trump could be elected President?
A crummy education system, a distinct lack of historical understanding, frustration over a "recovery" that has seen higher-wage jobs replaced by lower-, a deep divide in the electorate ... I guess I could go on ...
[+] 8 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
13-11-2016, 10:34 PM

[+] 12 users Like RogueWarrior's post
13-11-2016, 10:39 PM
I think it's a great question. Seems every one except USA and Russia favoured Clinton. She is vastly more experienced and qualified, has much more passion and enthusiasm for public service.

Trump's track record is purely about financial self gain (oh, and his ego).

I've seen articles regarding protectionism. Trump has appealed towards protectionism. It is a denial of globalisation, it is the effects of the the developing nations, developing and taking the jobs from their higher paid counter parts living in comparatively luxurious conditions. It is the excesses of a country that has been booming for too long creating high wages, high cost of living, now finding that they can't compete against the poorer nations. Americans are turning on themselves, they are blaming their latinos for taking their jobs, they are blaming the blacks for crime, they are blaming the Muslims for terrorism.
I guess it is similar regarding England and Brexit.
He got the gun nuts vote simply by stating that Hilary was going to take their guns.
He got the religious nutters by proclaiming to be prolife and promising to put conservatives into the supreme court.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
13-11-2016, 10:39 PM

This prediction came true on January 20, 2001 and January 20, 2009.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
13-11-2016, 10:45 PM
I don’t think Trump being voted into office has anything to do with prejudice in any form; not racism, and not sexism. The democrats have basically been telling white America that their time in the lime light is up, that it’s time to pay the pied piper and they better just suck it up and deal. White folks believe that they're fronting the bill for immigrants and poor minorities, and they’re not seeing the return on their investment.

Correct or incorrect, white people see that the qualities of their lives are decreasing, and the democrats did not listen to their pleas. To paraphrase Bill Maher, white America felt like a disenfranchised minority, and they voted like a disenfranchised minority.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
14-11-2016, 12:53 AM
Maybe it is about national pride? Trump promised making America great again (whatever that means) and people happily bought such promise - it is nice to hear that you were great and could be such again.

Or maybe he found convenient scapegoat which explain miseries of some voters and promised to solve it by removing said scapegoat?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
14-11-2016, 06:30 AM
Cultural and economic trends in combination, IMO.

1. Anti-intellectualism leading to rural decline. For years (maybe forever), people in small towns, suburbs, and rural areas have made life miserable for those who are different in any way that doesn't involve athletic talent (e.g., creative, smart, artistic). Then the "different" people leave for colleges and cities and places where they aren't made fun of for being on the honor roll, leaving the rural areas with the least talented and adaptable residents, at a time when the economy is moving away from labor-based jobs, leaving the communities to die. There's a reason people in urban areas haven't cared as much about the plight of rural America, and it's partly that in their hometowns, people bullied them mercilessly.

2. Economic shifts away from manufacturing and other labor-based work. The factories are closed, the family farms are gone. Even if the factories come back, the level of automation is such that the new factories will employ only a fraction of the workers that they used to. Democrats' answers to these problems are "go to college so you can get a better job," but college is expensive and out of intellectual reach for many people, and at any rate, in order to find that better job often you'd have to relocate. It used to be that sweat equity was valued less, but reasonably proportionately, to mental equity; now that relationship is entirely disproportionate. Also, for no good reason, many jobs today require a bachelors degree, putting the first rung of the ladder out of reach for people who could do those jobs just fine.

3. Broad economic insecurity. The rise of essentials costs has far outstripped wage rises. Technology's cheap; clothes are cheap. Housing, food, and healthcare costs are far, far greater, making it unaffordable for people earning near the minimum wage to afford what their parents could. At just over minimum wage when I was first working, a bit more than 30 years ago, I could afford to live by myself in a good-sized studio apartment in a safe neighborhood in Chicago, heat included ($250/month!!!). This is a structural problem that I don't know can be fixed, but it underlies everything.

4. Religious-fueled demonization of urbanites and urban attitudes. The evangelical movement decided to mobilize its political power and align with rich corporatists. Evangelicals have happily referred to those who disagree with them politically and socially as evil, rather than misguided. This has inflamed the rhetoric on both sides.

5. Misplaced self-loathing for economic failure. America being hailed as the land of opportunity, the implicit assumption is that individuals are responsible for their successes and failures. (Especially individuals who look like the Founding Fathers.) Yet there are people working hard and still not succeeding. A leader comes along and says that their failures are not their fault. "Others" (usually the wrong color or sexual orientation) have stolen the hardworking, but unrewarded, people's birthright/success. The leader promises that what has been stolen will be returned. No need to go into specifics, just has to sound indignant and forceful, people who haven't developed critical thinking abilities won't care--Trump hits at the emotional level.

6. Profiteering. There are many people who believe they'll be able to make more money under Trump, and the least scrupulous of them are right. Not so many pesky regulations, easy to flatter Trump into approving especially if you offer his companies a cut of the proceeds, plus military-related spending is going to go through the roof, along with "law and order" spending.

Racism, xenophobia, and misogyny are also mixed in with these trends, but if people weren't economically insecure and fearful and feeling like failures, they wouldn't have responded to Trump so strongly.
[+] 11 users Like julep's post
14-11-2016, 06:56 AM
America is a country where ANYONE can grow up to be president.

That's the problem.

George Carlin
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-11-2016, 07:00 AM
(14-11-2016 06:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  America is a country where ANYONE can grow up to be president.

That's the problem.

George Carlin

"It turns out, instead of showing our daughters that they could someday be President, America proved that no grandpa is too racist to become leader of the free world." - John Oliver Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post