What is it about the US that Trump could be elected President?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2016, 11:58 AM
RE: What is it about the US that Trump could be elected President?
(14-11-2016 10:40 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 10:22 AM)tomilay Wrote:  In any case, I think most Trump voters voted against Obama, rendering KUSA's line of defense moot.

Being against Obama does not equal racism. We're a partisan country now. Of course republicans are going to be against every move Obama makes. Just like democrats are going to loath every single thing Trump does. It would be no different if it was Ted Cruz, Rubio, Jeb Bush or Trump. There is no middle now. If Hillary got elected, all we would hear for the next 4-8 years was how republicans only disagree with Hillary's decisions is because she's a woman. When in reality, both parties hate each other and every decision the other makes will be critisized.

Both parties should look at themselves. Obstructionism is probably going to continue now that it has been introduced. It didn't use to be that way.

It's disgusting how they fight like little children throwing sand in each other's eyes and ruin the country in the process.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
14-11-2016, 01:29 PM
(14-11-2016 11:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 10:40 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Being against Obama does not equal racism. We're a partisan country now. Of course republicans are going to be against every move Obama makes. Just like democrats are going to loath every single thing Trump does. It would be no different if it was Ted Cruz, Rubio, Jeb Bush or Trump. There is no middle now. If Hillary got elected, all we would hear for the next 4-8 years was how republicans only disagree with Hillary's decisions is because she's a woman. When in reality, both parties hate each other and every decision the other makes will be critisized.

Both parties should look at themselves. Obstructionism is probably going to continue now that it has been introduced. It didn't use to be that way.

It's disgusting how they fight like little children throwing sand in each other's eyes and ruin the country in the process.

I think both sides have realized for a while that they don't have solutions to the problems, so posturing is the way to go. Lots of righteous indignation, no action. Now that the GOP controls Congress and the Executive Branch, I bet the smarter ones are terrified. They've run out of excuses.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
14-11-2016, 01:51 PM
(13-11-2016 09:55 PM)Fireball Wrote:  OK, that's a pretty broad title, so let me just clarify it here. What is it about US culture that this could happen? Is it the television mentality? Disaffection with the status quo? Plain old prejudice? Voter indifference to what they see as no effect for their vote? I have some opinions, but I'll wait for yours.

I think the problem with your question is, that it's not really about US culture, but a segment of that culture. The results of the election would have gone an entirely different way if certain demographics were excluded.

If non-whites, and women were the deciding factor, Hillary would have easily won.

It's Trump appeal to a large segment, of the white male population, that won him this election. So I think it's important when framing the question, to ask what aspects unique to this group, made them so passionate about a Trump presidency. How was Trump able to strike a nerve with this particular demographic, that he wasn't able to emulate as well with other demographics

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
14-11-2016, 02:00 PM
(14-11-2016 01:51 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's Trump appeal to a large segment, of the white male population, that won him this election. So I think it's important when framing the question, to ask what aspects unique to this group, made them so passionate about a Trump presidency. How was Trump able to strike a nerve with this particular demographic, that he wasn't able to emulate as well with other demographics

Tomasia,

I think it was the promises that he won't be able to fulfil. In that way, he is indeed following in Obama's footsteps. Sleepy

D.
14-11-2016, 02:08 PM
(14-11-2016 02:00 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 01:51 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's Trump appeal to a large segment, of the white male population, that won him this election. So I think it's important when framing the question, to ask what aspects unique to this group, made them so passionate about a Trump presidency. How was Trump able to strike a nerve with this particular demographic, that he wasn't able to emulate as well with other demographics

Tomasia,

I think it was the promises that he won't be able to fulfil. In that way, he is indeed following in Obama's footsteps. Sleepy

D.

Well, no President ever does everything he said he would do, because "he" can't do much of anything by himself -- he needs the help of Congress. From that standpoint, I would expect Trump to have more success than Obama did (at least in his second term), because the majority party in both houses of Congress is the same as his. Obama had to fight a Republican Congress that simply refused to work with him. I don't expect Congress to rubber stamp everything Trump proposes, but at least they won't automatically reject everything he proposes like they did with Obama.
14-11-2016, 02:08 PM
(14-11-2016 02:00 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  Tomasia,

D.

Yes, and those empty promises were more enticing to one particular demographic more so than others. Clearly African Americans who overwhelmingly voted for Clinton were not as enticed by Trump's promises, as they were Obama's.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
14-11-2016, 02:27 PM
(14-11-2016 11:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 10:40 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Being against Obama does not equal racism. We're a partisan country now. Of course republicans are going to be against every move Obama makes. Just like democrats are going to loath every single thing Trump does. It would be no different if it was Ted Cruz, Rubio, Jeb Bush or Trump. There is no middle now. If Hillary got elected, all we would hear for the next 4-8 years was how republicans only disagree with Hillary's decisions is because she's a woman. When in reality, both parties hate each other and every decision the other makes will be critisized.

But what reasonable ideas have republicans espoused lately?

14-11-2016, 02:30 PM
(14-11-2016 02:27 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(14-11-2016 11:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  Both parties should look at themselves. Obstructionism is probably going to continue now that it has been introduced. It didn't use to be that way.

But what reasonable ideas have republicans espoused lately?

[Image: agzhs.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
14-11-2016, 03:15 PM
(14-11-2016 09:18 AM)tomilay Wrote:  It seems to me Hillary lost because she was not able to generate the same enthusiasm as Obama in 2012. The enthusiasm in this election was lower than 2012. Fewer people voted for Trump than for Mitt Romney in 2012. Hillary's popular vote barely edges Mitt Romney's.

That should cast some doubts about people coming out in droves for Trump, be they racists or not, as suggested by Bill Maher. Maybe a state by state breakdown in the battleground states might corroborate his views.

There seems to be variety of factors for why Trump won, enthusiasm for Trump among white votes, a lack of enthusiasm for Hillary. In fact we could even blame Third Party candidates who swallowed close to 7 million votes this election, and only about 2.4 million in 2012.

14-11-2016, 03:55 PM
(14-11-2016 10:51 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  And now it's the democrats turn to kick and scream and use the filibuster. Nothing has changed.

The answer to lack of governance is more lack of governance?

Sure, let's all stand around beating an already dead horse. That'll solve the problem, ya daft cunt.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]