What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2013, 02:49 PM
What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?
On another forum, there is a christian who 90% of the time claim that anyone who isn't a christian makes posts that. . . . well here:

"DEAVON

All you do is complain about God. You’re angry because He doesn’t treat you “special.” Satan felt the same way, and pride was his worst enemy. You can submit to Jesus and remain in submission to Him, or you can rebel and reject Him. It’s your choice and it’s that simple. Regardless, no one care’s either way whether you do that or not.

So please stop your pathetic whining."

I was exlaining why I don't see "obey the lord" as viable to my life because I only see the Canonical texts as "the words from men living in another culture and time". It is this guy's [theotherberean] typical way. Thinking that he must make me look like an uneducated kid [I'm far from either]. In a debate, what is that technique called? Isn't it like saying, "I have no way to answer you, so . . . therefore, you're a whiner".. . .?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2013, 02:51 PM
RE: What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?
Here's another one [and from the same theist]: In a thread about homosexuals, . . . and how it is an abomination unto god. I said:

"Also remember to not eat meat with blood in it.
Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.
Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves."

He posted:

"You’re trying to sound witty but you’re just demonstrating your ignorance.

And immaturity."
19-02-2013, 02:57 PM
RE: What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?
When the core tenants of someone's beliefs are challenged, and they can think of no actual intelligible response or valid defense, a resort to ad hominems, appeal to authority, appeal to popularity, etc, becomes the only response that someone seems to gravitate towards if they are unwilling to admit that they may be wrong or hold a position/opinion that may be flawed.

Maybe they do it for 1 of 2 reasons (or both)
1) they get emotional. This makes it difficult/impossible to evaluate anything critically or logically and emotions dominate their response.
2) they don't really want to use the answer of faith, since they know that is an irrational and illogical position. Even though that is the only honest answer they could give.

They do it because what you said, got under their skin and they want to get under yours.

Think Ego®

Evolve
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
19-02-2013, 03:07 PM
That's not debating. He wouldn't survive a debate against an atheist or another theist. Invite him over here if he believes otherwise.

...it would rather be a man... [who] plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them with aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real point at issue by eloquent digressions and skilled appeals to religious prejudice.
19-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Quote:Maybe they do it for 1 of 2 reasons (or both)
1) they get emotional. This makes it difficult/impossible to evaluate anything critically or logically and emotions dominate their response.
2) they don't really want to use the answer of faith, since they know that is an irrational and illogical position. Even though that is the only honest answer they could give.
1) Certainly explains all the "PJ, you @#$#@$#@$, learn about X and Y before you [url=mailto:#$#@$]#$#@$[/url] here you #@$#@$#".
2) Faith = trust. It's reasonable and rational to believe in a God who responds to prayer, consistently, wondrously, miraculously, and answers questions and fulfills prophecies. Those are some of the reasons most people are not Atheists.
19-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Why not just reply with...

Assertions speak of your emotions; counter-arguments speak of your intellect.
I look forward to the latter.

Regards

Drinking Beverage

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
19-02-2013, 03:21 PM
(19-02-2013 03:17 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
1) Certainly explains all the "PJ, you @#$#@$#@$, learn about X and Y before you [url=mailto:#$#@$]#$#@$[/url] here you #@$#@$#".
2) Faith = trust. It's reasonable and rational to believe in a God who responds to prayer, consistently, wondrously, miraculously, and answers questions and fulfills prophecies. Those are some of the reasons most people are not Atheists.
Faith does not equal trust, otherwise it wouldn't be called faith and would just be called trust. Redefining a word to give it a new meaning is an intentional misdirection and deflection of any point trying to be made.

I could redefine god to mean "my coffee mug." There is no disputing that my coffee mug exists, so god must exist. How logical... Dodgy

Evolve
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
19-02-2013, 03:25 PM
(19-02-2013 03:17 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
No, faith is not rational. Faith is belief without evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
19-02-2013, 03:26 PM
The guy actually accuses me of being dishonest about my "non-belief in god". . . . that I actually DO believe, but am being a phony. That is the same as calling me a liar. He doesn't know one thing about me. He's just mad that I don't blindly follow his special friend, . . . and that pisses him off. He call ME immature, . . . but he sure seems far more himself.
19-02-2013, 03:33 PM
"Straight and Crooked Thinking" by Robert H Thouless has a definitive list of dishonest debate techniques. I study them frequently both to recognize them and to use them when necessary.
Your theist friend there is breaking the most basic of the rules: ad hominem attacks. Attack the opinions, question the facts, discredit the logic, but never attack the individual.
You merely dismiss this form of debate by declaring "ad hominem" attack. The debate is essentially dead once you cross the line to insult.
BTW: there is agnostic, there is atheist. there is theist. What is the term for a person who actually despises religion with a passion? Anti-theist? I actually throw door to door evangelists off my property now, usually condemning them to whatever hell they choose to believe in.
[+] 1 user Likes Bryce Fleming's post