What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2013, 04:46 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2013 05:15 PM by fstratzero.)
RE: What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?
Belief is defined as a state of mind that accepts a piece of information as true. Yet for many of use challenging our beliefs creates frustration. As if for some reason what we think is true makes up who we are, which is an error.

When it comes to god, for many people he is the source of good emotions, guilt relief, ability to live forever, and see dead loved ones, control uncontrollable circumstances through prayer, etc.

They seem emotionally dependent on this idea, and with out it they have know idea how they'd manage their emotions.

So when you challenge their notions of god, they snap back, angrily. They don't understand how a person could not believe in the ultimate goodness or ultimate love, who provides them with all their emotional needs.

It should also be noted, that many christian's have no idea what logical argumentation is, and in the States, the most popular way of winning an argument is who can make the most clever, funny, insult.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
19-02-2013, 04:50 PM
RE: What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?
(19-02-2013 04:42 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If you truly must reply, just type "LOL" at any of his comments.
Don't respond with reason or logic or counter arguments. Just laugh at him.
[Image: fail444456.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-02-2013, 05:16 PM
The american form of argumentation.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
19-02-2013, 05:38 PM
What is that one video [I think Seth produced it] about the person who wants to introduce you to a person you reject, and they get upset that you don't want to meet their friend?
19-02-2013, 05:45 PM
(19-02-2013 04:46 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Belief is defined as a state of mind that accepts a piece of information as true. Yet for many of use challenging our beliefs creates frustration. As if for some reason what we think is true makes up who we are, which is an error.

When it comes to god, for many people he is the source of good emotions, guilt relief, ability to live forever, and see dead loved ones, control uncontrollable circumstances through prayer, etc.

They seem emotionally dependent on this idea, and with out it they have know idea how they'd manage their emotions.

So when you challenge their notions of god, they snap back, angrily. They don't understand how a person could not believe in the ultimate goodness or ultimate love, who provides them with all their emotional needs.

It should also be noted, that many christian's have no idea what logical argumentation is, and in the States, the most popular way of winning an argument is who can make the most clever, funny, insult.
I too see the great bulk of Christian arguments as puerile.

It really seems a waste of times that atheists counter attack.

As for the so called 'irrationality', of contemplating issues beyond our accrued rationality
while not trying to enforce such, this does not faze me. I do not see it as ignorance!

I imagine much of today's science, 200 years hence, will have become very passe', if not laughable.
Quantum mechanics has already made a few annoying dints. Drinking Beverage
19-02-2013, 06:23 PM
(19-02-2013 05:38 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  What is that one video [I think Seth produced it] about the person who wants to introduce you to a person you reject, and they get upset that you don't want to meet their friend?

I think it was Darkmatter25

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-02-2013, 06:32 PM
(19-02-2013 03:33 PM)Bryce Fleming Wrote:  Your theist friend there is breaking the most basic of the rules: ad hominem attacks. Attack the opinions, question the facts, discredit the logic, but never attack the individual.
You merely dismiss this form of debate by declaring "ad hominem" attack. The debate is essentially dead once you cross the line to insult.

I agree that what Deavon has shown is an example of ad hominem, which is an attempt to win by discrediting an opponent personally. Ad hominem is logically fallacious because the strength or truth of an argument has literally nothing to do with who presented it. I disagree, however, with the Bryce's statement that you ought to "merely dismiss this form of debate"... that's argument by fallacy, which is also logically fallacious -- just because an opponent committed a fallacy doesn't mean that the unfallacious parts of his argument should also be disregarded, which is basically an ad hominem attack against his argument. Unless, obviously, his entire argument is a personal attack, in which case there's nothing useful to which to respond.

I dislike personal attacks from any opponent, but I've often pointed out to my theist opponents (such as my brother who can't get through a sentence without an insult) that insults and cruelty "do a poor job of reflecting Christ living in your heart. I think my personal respect does a better job of reflecting Jesus' commands and ideals, despite being an atheist."

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
19-02-2013, 06:37 PM
(19-02-2013 05:45 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I too see the great bulk of Christian arguments as puerile.

It really seems a waste of times that atheists counter attack.

One of the main reasons that I debate theists is because I was once a theist who was won over by argument. It never happens all at once, but just because the results aren't quick doesn't mean that they aren't existent. Be patient, and don't give up on debate. It's worth it Wink

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
20-02-2013, 12:38 AM
(19-02-2013 02:49 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  On another forum, there is a christian who 90% of the time claim that anyone who isn't a christian makes posts that. . . . well here:

"DEAVON

All you do is complain about God. You’re angry because He doesn’t treat you “special.” Satan felt the same way, and pride was his worst enemy. You can submit to Jesus and remain in submission to Him, or you can rebel and reject Him. It’s your choice and it’s that simple. Regardless, no one care’s either way whether you do that or not.

So please stop your pathetic whining."

I was exlaining why I don't see "obey the lord" as viable to my life because I only see the Canonical texts as "the words from men living in another culture and time". It is this guy's [theotherberean] typical way. Thinking that he must make me look like an uneducated kid [I'm far from either]. In a debate, what is that technique called? Isn't it like saying, "I have no way to answer you, so . . . therefore, you're a whiner".. . .?
I'm sorry, is your topic's question about theists specifically, or jerkass netizens in general? Because really, that's 90% of people on the net.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
20-02-2013, 01:08 AM
(19-02-2013 06:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-02-2013 05:38 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  What is that one video [I think Seth produced it] about the person who wants to introduce you to a person you reject, and they get upset that you don't want to meet their friend?

I think it was Darkmatter25

DarkMatter2525 - The Real God: An Epiphany

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post