What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2013, 04:06 AM
RE: What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?
(19-02-2013 06:37 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(19-02-2013 05:45 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I too see the great bulk of Christian arguments as puerile.

It really seems a waste of times that atheists counter attack.

One of the main reasons that I debate theists is because I was once a theist who was won over by argument. It never happens all at once, but just because the results aren't quick doesn't mean that they aren't existent. Be patient, and don't give up on debate. It's worth it Wink
Whoever said Atheists can't have faith Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes hedgehog648's post
20-02-2013, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2013 10:39 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?
I try not to devolve into ad hominen attacks, I really do. But you eventually reach a point after so many rebuttals, questions, answers, and posts are ignored; it's the only thing left worth doing. Whenever a theist gets to the point were it's quite clear that their only intent is to shit where I eat, the kiddie gloves come off and I let them have it. Egor hit this point quite awhile ago, PleaseJesus and LionIRC have hit it more recently.

Look at my earlier posts with them, I'm quite civil and cordial. But they've beaten around the bush long enough to show that they aren't truly interested in providing evidence or learning anything, just spouting the same baseless drivel over and over again. Childish? Sure. Unreasonable in light of their continued purposeful ignorance? My answer would be 'no'.

They had a chance to have an adult discussion, and they have shown that they are either unwilling or incapable, so I'm bringing my responses down to their level. At this point, the objective is to try and be funny (primarily for my own amusement) while also remaining on point; but any semblance of political correctness has long since gone out the fucking window.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
20-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Quote:Faith does not equal trust, otherwise it wouldn't be called faith and would just be called trust. Redefining a word to give it a new meaning is an intentional misdirection and deflection of any point trying to be made.

I could redefine god to mean "my coffee mug." There is no disputing that my coffee mug exists, so god must exist. How logical... [Image: dodgy.gif]

I get your idea when using the term as it was misapplied to other religions in modern times. The word is derived from the Greek pisteuo, which is clearly translated as trust. Of course, "You ought to have have faith in me" in English means, "Please trust me since I've given you reason in the past to trust me for the future.

So it is in the scriptures. There's not one imprecation to faith in the NT that doesn't in context touch seeing Jesus in person, hearing His wonderful words, prophecies from the OT of His first advent, His miracles, or more than one of the above.

When I give a sermon or preach in public forums or debate, etc. I do not use the jargon words "believe", "faith", "repent", etc, etc. but the word trust.

You might even say that I have some kind of blind or anecdotal faith today, and we can discuss that, but in the scriptures eyewitnesses had reason to trust Jesus (or so the Bible claims).
20-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Re: What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?
You've never met him. You rely on other people's stories and most of those can be shown to either be stolen from other religions or require suspensions of the natural order (in your favor) to be true. You are not trusting Jesus, you have blind faith in the stories that tell you to trust Jesus.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
20-02-2013, 08:54 AM
(20-02-2013 12:38 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  I'm sorry, is your topic's question about theists specifically, or jerkass netizens in general? Because really, that's 90% of people on the net.

It is about theist, actually. I'm sure it happens in non-religious debates as well. I would hope that anyone seeing this guy's posts would see the reality of what is happening. He HAS no argument, but merely trying to make me look like a "silly, angry, 'mad at god' kid that needs to shut up". . . . . and I hope anyone viewing such posts sees the error.
20-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Evolutionkills, . . . yep, that's the one. It's pretty brilliant, actually. Thanks!
20-02-2013, 10:33 AM
(19-02-2013 02:49 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  On another forum, there is a christian who 90% of the time claim that anyone who isn't a christian makes posts that. . . . well here:

"DEAVON

All you do is complain about God. You’re angry because He doesn’t treat you “special.” Satan felt the same way, and pride was his worst enemy. You can submit to Jesus and remain in submission to Him, or you can rebel and reject Him. It’s your choice and it’s that simple. Regardless, no one care’s either way whether you do that or not.

So please stop your pathetic whining."

I was exlaining why I don't see "obey the lord" as viable to my life because I only see the Canonical texts as "the words from men living in another culture and time". It is this guy's [theotherberean] typical way. Thinking that he must make me look like an uneducated kid [I'm far from either]. In a debate, what is that technique called? Isn't it like saying, "I have no way to answer you, so . . . therefore, you're a whiner".. . .?

Honestly, I don't think it's a "theist" issue. It's people in general. I have seen atheists do the same thing as well as people in all sorts of discussions, not necessarily related to religion. Typically, it happens for one of the following reasons:

1) The person has little knowledge about the subject and doesn't want to admit it.
2) The person is too lazy to bother typing out real replies that would be much longer than a simple "you're a moron".
3) The person realizes that neither you or he/she is going to change viewpoints and decides the whole thing isn't worth spending a lot of time on - so, again, they take the easy way out.

I usually just let them know clearly where I stand by saying something like "If all you have are insults, then I'm not interested. If you want to have a real discussion, then let me know by actually discussing." After that, I completely ignore anything that doesn't fit real discussion.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
20-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Impulse, that is probably the best way to handle it.

And yes, . . . though my OP was about a theist, I know that it isn't solely a theist problem. :-)
20-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Hmmmm, he seems dismissive towards you because of your atheism. How does he respond to Christians who disagree with him?

I think it might be interesting how he would respond to me.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
20-02-2013, 01:09 PM
(20-02-2013 12:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I think it might be interesting how he would respond to me.

Oh Kingsy, you just don't want to get along with anyone, do ya? Tongue

How's the family? You making sure our little heathen baby girl is fat and happy? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post