What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2013, 03:26 PM
RE: What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?
Dude, . . . this guy is arrogant, actually. He boasted that he made merry sport of atheists on USENET back in the day . . . and didn't think atheists had changed much since the 90's. Not an exact phrasing of his words, but the general idea.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
26-02-2013, 03:53 PM
RE: What is it about theists that make them think that personal insults win a debate?
(26-02-2013 03:26 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Dude, . . . this guy is arrogant, actually. He boasted that he made merry sport of atheists on USENET back in the day . . . and didn't think atheists had changed much since the 90's. Not an exact phrasing of his words, but the general idea.
Why are you wasting your time talking to him? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
26-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Actually, he comes onto the threads I post on and engages me . . . because I'm not "a believer". I really wish he would come on here so some of you could thrash him. He really needs a good bit of humbling.
26-02-2013, 04:58 PM
(26-02-2013 04:57 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Actually, he comes onto the threads I post on and engages me . . . because I'm not "a believer". I really wish he would come on here so some of you could thrash him. He really needs a good bit of humbling.
Well, you could simply ignore him. Drinking Beverage

26-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Probably should. Just don't like it when someone misrepresents me or my world view to where others get the wrong idea of me. But yeah, there may be nothing I could ever say to affect him and he will continue to be an abusive bastard in those forums. I don't have the wealth of information that many of you all have, so I may just ignore his comments.
27-02-2013, 04:20 AM
(26-02-2013 05:24 PM)DeavonReye Wrote:  Probably should. Just don't like it when someone misrepresents me or my world view to where others get the wrong idea of me. But yeah, there may be nothing I could ever say to affect him and he will continue to be an abusive bastard in those forums. I don't have the wealth of information that many of you all have, so I may just ignore his comments.
Keep quiet and learn. When you have the knowledge, you can shut him down.

But you can retort indirectly too - "Are you that insecure about your own beliefs that you have to stalk all my posts to make irrelevant comments?"

Doesn't require information to call him out on stupid things.

Science, logic and how they destroy religious arguments @ http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.
- Isaac Asimov.
Faith means not wanting to know what is true.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Sceptical Prophet's post
27-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Well put, Sceptical Prophet. Smile
28-02-2013, 02:54 AM
The theist knows they cannot win in the realm of evidence, so really what else do they have to go with?
28-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Well, from our perspective, we find materialist worldviews and the constant cursing and ad homs (from some, not all) demeaning and frustrating. But yes, in a live debate, I'd bury y'all with facts, not invective. As for
Quote:The theist knows they cannot win in the realm of evidence, so really what else do they have to go with?
y'all have a weird club here of people assembled because they don't believe in something. That's a strange group indeed. Of course you'd say "in the realm of evidence" as a duck because there's no evidence God does not exist. None.
28-02-2013, 09:57 AM
(28-02-2013 08:56 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  [...] there's no evidence God does not exist. None.
Please support this absolutist claim. You can say that you don't know of any evidence that proves god's non-existence, but you can't claim that there is none because you're not omniscient.