What is it like in heaven, limbo, purgatory or hell?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2012, 10:04 AM
OK, here is another silly thread.

What happens to my soul (the one I don’t believe in) after I die?

What are the options?

How long do they last?

Am I going to be tortured forever in hell because I did not believe in it?

If yes, would that be the sentence given me by an all-loving merciful god?

Please enlighten a devout atheist! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2012, 11:22 AM

RE: What is it like in heaven, limbo, purgatory or hell?
I like that little smile at the end of your post. That attitude is what is sending you to hell, and that's where you're headed, because you are not ignorant of Christ, but rather you reject him outright.

As to what it will be like, I have only this way of describing it: Our ultimate pleasure is God. All pleasure we seek in this life we do so in a surrogate fashion. The pleasures of this life are only pleasurable in that they resemble the pleasure of being one with God, be that sex, chocolate, heroin, bungee jumping, or going 140 mph on a motorcycle, whatever.

Hell is not that. And it is “not that” forever or more technically for an eternal moment. It isn’t even the surrogate pleasures of this life. It is “no pleasure” it is anhedonia. The only way to put it in physical terms would be to say you are burning in a lake of fire. Obviously souls don’t physically burn, but it’s a good anthropomorphic description of hell’s torment.

You think you’re going to be in hell partying with your friends, but you won’t. You will be alone.

The good news is, you have the remainder of your physical life to show to God you are worth saving. You can do this by adopting the simplest Christianity outlined in Luke 23:39-43. You can be saved through fear or through the pursuit of an ultimate pleasure, either way works, Pascal’s Wager, or a mystical longing.

I prefer a mystical approach to God and Christ.
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
(01-02-2012 11:22 AM)Egor Wrote:  That attitude is what is sending you to hell, and that's where you're headed, because you are not ignorant of Christ, but rather you reject him outright.

Well... you can't actually reject something that you don't believe in... so...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
01-02-2012, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2012 12:24 PM by Zat.)
(01-02-2012 11:22 AM)Egor Wrote:  I like that little smile at the end of your post.

Yuck!

I have just stepped into something truly disgusting.

I have to throw away the shoe!

Big Grin

PS:

KC, is there a lot more like that on your side of the fence, or it is a unique specimen? Undecided
[+] 3 users Like Zat's post
01-02-2012, 03:12 PM
(01-02-2012 11:22 AM)Egor Wrote:  I prefer a mystical approach to God and Christ.

I prefer a rational approach, and since there is no evidence of God or Christ, they are unlikely to exist. Extremely unlikely.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
01-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Heaven: Sucks. You get stuck playing a harp and groveling at some meglomaniacs feet for eternity.

Hell: Sucks. Too much fire, not enough ice cream.

Limbo: Sucks. Nothing to do. VERY boring.

Purgatory: Sucks. Too much punishment. Not enough reward.

Reality: Only kinda sucks sometimes. The rest of the time, it is what you make of it.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
(01-02-2012 10:04 AM)Zat Wrote:  What is it like in heaven, limbo, purgatory or hell?

Hmm... I'm going to go the traditional route for these... the stuff Sunday School is made of.

Heaven: Angels with harps, togas, sandals, and clouds, duh. Puppies and kitties and all things fluffy. Healthy, whole food - no GMOs, steroids, antibiotics, nothing processed - all fresh. Lot's of down comforters and pillows. Fantastic documentaries about shit you've always wondered about in your real life. Like you could view the actual pyramids being built or see Vincent Van Gogh's actual life -which would kind of suck but you'd get to see him paint too, so it would be worth it. Who really killed John F Kennedy? And the music... wow. I'm glad there's not a heaven, it would be hard to want something so much, only to find out it's not there. That would suck.

Limbo: An elevator with musak ... not the good stuff like Jim Croce or anything - something like Yanni or Kenny G... oOH - that Carman guy. I'm assuming it's one of those "forever" things. Drag.

Purgatory: The foyer. Probably cramped. Smelly. A lot of anxiety. But you're not there for long so, not that big of a deal.

Hell: The molecules start moving faster and faster... and we know what happens then.
[Image: 2.gif] Well, at least it's warm.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
01-02-2012, 04:28 PM
You go to heaven for the weather. You go to hell for the company.

You go to purgatory.....oops sorry despite having a man in a big hat with a direct line to god we got this one wrong. Sorry!
01-02-2012, 04:29 PM
(01-02-2012 04:28 PM)Godless Wrote:  You go to heaven for the weather. You go to hell for the company.

You go to purgatory.....oops sorry despite having a man in a big hat with a direct line to god we got this one wrong. Sorry!

Wait... have Catholics denounced purgatory yet?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
(01-02-2012 04:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(01-02-2012 04:28 PM)Godless Wrote:  You go to heaven for the weather. You go to hell for the company.

Wait... have Catholics denounced purgatory yet?

They're still teaching it in my school, so I don't think so.