What is it like in heaven, limbo, purgatory or hell?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2012, 02:50 PM
RE: What is it like in heaven, limbo, purgatory or hell?
(01-02-2012 05:44 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(01-02-2012 04:55 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(01-02-2012 11:22 AM)Egor Wrote:  I prefer a mythical approach to God and Christ.

Fixed

That a big DQ (disqualified, not Dairy Queen). To take what someone said and change their words is an automatic loss. It shows you have nothing. You can't defeat the argument, you can't hang with it, you're weak, and scared. So, the only thing you can do is try to make it where I said something I didn't.

In forum behavior, you just bowed down to me, and you know it.

LOL! Internet humor is lost on you. Jakes on you though because I don't care about your argument.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2012, 03:13 PM

(02-02-2012 12:53 PM)Unreal Wrote:  So.. If I cuss, smoke, drink, and raise hell for 60 years. I'm going to hell for eternity?
Living a life I never asked for to begin with? That's just preposterous.

Those aren't the things that send you to hell. The rejection of Jesus Christ sends you to hell. If you believe you should be what Jesus was, if you realize you're imperfections, if you truly want to change (whether or not you are successful at change is not important), and if you willingly accept that you deserve death and hell for failing to be what God designed you to be, then you will go to heaven.

Of course, if you don't believe in God or Jesus Christ, then you're pretty much screwed.
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2012, 03:20 PM
I think KC said this before but since it didn't catch the first time.

YOU CAN'T REJECT SOMETHING YOU DON'T BELIEVE EXISTS!

At least have the decency to pull out the "But Jesus is written on your heart the bible says so" argument next time. Thanks.
02-02-2012, 03:25 PM
I have always been amused by the expression "believe in" something.

It, by itself, implies irrationality and unreality.

I have never heard anyone say (other than in poetry) that "I believe in a chair".

We know that chairs exist, we don't have to "believe in" them.

However, many children believe in Santa Claus, Bugs Bunny and the monster under their bed.

So, when I hear someone tell me: "believe in" something, that only proves it to me that he doesn't really "believe in" it himself.

Otherwise he would say: "you do know about..." that particular something.

Let's call it willful self-delusion.

Now, to add to this irrationality, if someone tells me that I will be tormented in unbearable agony forever, for not "believing in" that particular irrationality, for me it sounds like pure evil: like a metastasized malignant tumor.

And there is only one of two things you can do with it: cut it out or die of it. Angry
[+] 2 users Like Zat's post
02-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Belief may not be a term we use in everyday life but it's used in philosophy a lot. The reason you don't need to reaffirm belief in a chair is due to everyone's easy understanding of the chair's existence.

However when we discuss concepts like Free-will, Individuality, Life etc. concepts of belief make total sense to put forward. Beleif is a reaction to evidence and experience as I've said before. The problem comes in when people beleive in things with very little to no good evidence or experience and get belief mixed up with faith.

That's where you cancer is.
02-02-2012, 04:07 PM
I am a Physicist.

I have been asked by believers if I "believe in" an electron.

My answer is that: "No - I don't believe in an electron because I know that electrons exist - I personally performed many experiments that convinced me that such a particle with a certain mass, charge and spin, does, in fact, exist, even though I have never seen one.

I know what you mean about wider application of the word, but I always treat it with suspicion and want to know why the person didn't use a different word that is not tainted so badly by religion.
02-02-2012, 04:11 PM
(02-02-2012 04:07 PM)Zat Wrote:  I am a Physicist.

I have been asked by believers if I "believe in" an electron.

My answer is that: "No - I don't believe in an electron because I know that electrons exist - I personally performed many experiments that convinced me that such a particle with a certain mass, charge and spin, does, in fact, exist, even though I have never seen one.

I know what you mean about wider application of the word, but I always treat it with suspicion and want to know why the person didn't use a different word that is not tainted so badly by religion.

Who do you believe will win the Super Bowl? Big Grin

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
02-02-2012, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2012 04:23 PM by Zat.)
Replace the word "believe" with words like: "think", "guess", "convinced of", "expect", "predict", etc.... and then I will answer your question.

As a reaction to religious irrationality and persecution, I have purged the expression "believe in" from my vocabulary. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Zat's post
02-02-2012, 07:38 PM
(02-02-2012 04:16 PM)Zat Wrote:  Replace the word "believe" with words like: "think", "guess", "convinced of", "expect", "predict", etc.... and then I will answer your question.

As a reaction to religious irrationality and persecution, I have purged the expression "believe in" from my vocabulary. Big Grin

Same. I avoid the word "believe" whenever I'm expressing my opinion.
02-02-2012, 08:30 PM
The following is a complete list of all the things that you will find in Heaven:

Any questions?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post