What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2014, 04:54 PM
What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?
So with 7 billion people in the world we must eat enormous amounts of animals. Aren't human beings animals? If we're going to have millions of abortions each year, what is unethical about eating the fetus rather than throwing it away.

One of the supposed negatives of committing cannibalism is how long humans live compared to a beef cow. But that doesn't apply to a fetus obviously. Also, some argue that a fetus is not a human being, so it therefore wouldn't be cannibalism.

Does anyone know how nutritious a fetus is?

I've heard this argument from that book Alive, involving the true story of that rugby team that crashed in the Andes and survived off cannibalism . Doctors were surprised at how healthy these people were who were eating a diet of human flesh.

The argument is that since human beings eat a wide variety of food and vitamins compared to a cow that eats grass, human flesh is more healthier than beef, provided that the person being eaten, ate healthy and isn't obese.

Also, on a slightly related topic, human milk is better than Cow Milk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Re: What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?
Beings, such as humans or other animals that eat an omnivore diet aren't more nutritious than a cow that eats grass. The further you get from a producer there's llikely lesser nutritional value in that meal.

The moral question is never the same for different groups. Some sight don't eat intelligent beings and some say it's an in group rational why.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-08-2014, 10:32 PM
RE: What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?
I can't think of any moral issues with eating human flesh. As long as the body is not required for burial or ceremony, and the animal has not been tortured or murdered... I don't see an issue. Of course, being extremely similar to your food can significantly increase the likelihood that any diseases the meat holds are also compatible with your own body... And knowingly increasing yours and others' risk of disease transmission might be considered a point of questionable morality.
[+] 5 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
14-08-2014, 10:14 PM
I actually watched a weird documentary that focused on sailor cannibalism and how when sailors were lost at sea or when they would run out of food while out at sea, sometimes they would have to resort to eating their weaker or more disliked members. The documentary basically explained that humans eating human flesh was unhealthy (due to the amounts of protein) and also very addictive.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
14-08-2014, 10:52 PM
(14-08-2014 10:14 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I actually watched a weird documentary that focused on sailor cannibalism and how when sailors were lost at sea or when they would run out of food while out at sea, sometimes they would have to resort to eating their weaker or more disliked members. The documentary basically explained that humans eating human flesh was unhealthy (due to the amounts of protein) and also very addictive.
Thank you! The sailors also ate leather and candles with the flesh Wink
14-08-2014, 10:54 PM
(14-08-2014 10:52 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  
(14-08-2014 10:14 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I actually watched a weird documentary that focused on sailor cannibalism and how when sailors were lost at sea or when they would run out of food while out at sea, sometimes they would have to resort to eating their weaker or more disliked members. The documentary basically explained that humans eating human flesh was unhealthy (due to the amounts of protein) and also very addictive.
Thank you! The sailors also ate leather and candles with the flesh Wink

Neato! Thank you for the fact. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
15-08-2014, 12:14 AM
(11-08-2014 10:32 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I can't think of any moral issues with eating human flesh. As long as the body is not required for burial or ceremony, and the animal has not been tortured or murdered... I don't see an issue. Of course, being extremely similar to your food can significantly increase the likelihood that any diseases the meat holds are also compatible with your own body... And knowingly increasing yours and others' risk of disease transmission might be considered a point of questionable morality.

I imagine our innate disdain for it is derived from that. As a behavioral adaptation, it would make sense not to eat the dead in your community to reduce the risk of further spreading some contagion.

I think it is immoral because it grosses us out really. A big social taboo. It isn't that way in every culture of course. Some peoples used to eat humans a burial right - a way of showing respect for the dead and unifying the flesh. It has a certain poetic elegance too it. Myself personally, I will stick with tofu Big Grin.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
15-08-2014, 06:17 AM
Being gay was a social taboo. Well, still is. Does that make it immoral?
15-08-2014, 06:39 AM
(15-08-2014 06:17 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Being gay was a social taboo. Well, still is. Does that make it immoral?

Being romantically involved with our own people (of same gender) and then eating those people are two different things, but you're right when you claim they are/were social taboos.

Homosexuality however is becoming more of a normal thing. Sexual content on television used to be a social taboo, in some family genre television shows, the husband and wife weren't even depicted as sleeping in the same bed together. But now all of our modern TV includes sex, and all of the music that's mostly mainstream contains an abundance of sexual references.
15-08-2014, 07:09 AM
I'm grossed out by the idea of eating a human and especially a fetus. I'd probably throw up. I'm speaking specifically of how it is immoral. I doubt it's any worse for you than eating pork , but have no evidence for this basis. I have no desire to eat a human being and probably find it as disgusting as you do. But to say it is morally wrong, is an entirely different ballgame. I don't see the behavior as being intrinsically immoral aside from the possibility that it may harm the person eating it, but some of that depends on the person who is being eaten.