What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Re: RE: What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?
(15-08-2014 07:09 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I'm grossed out by the idea of eating a human and especially a fetus. I'd probably throw up. I'm speaking specifically of how it is immoral. I doubt it's any worse for you than eating pork , but have no evidence for this basis. I have no desire to eat a human being and probably find it as disgusting as you do. But to say it is morally wrong, is an entirely different ballgame. I don't see the behavior as being intrinsically immoral aside from the possibility that it may harm the person eating it, but some of that depends on the person who is being eaten.

It seems rather fruitless to bicker if it's moral or not without defining what morality even is for you.

We have plenty of morality threads but the topic will continue with no definitive answer. I'm not one for belief in absolute morality but I don't know your basis or claim of morality.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-08-2014, 11:30 AM
RE: What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?
(15-08-2014 08:08 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 07:09 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I'm grossed out by the idea of eating a human and especially a fetus. I'd probably throw up. I'm speaking specifically of how it is immoral. I doubt it's any worse for you than eating pork , but have no evidence for this basis. I have no desire to eat a human being and probably find it as disgusting as you do. But to say it is morally wrong, is an entirely different ballgame. I don't see the behavior as being intrinsically immoral aside from the possibility that it may harm the person eating it, but some of that depends on the person who is being eaten.

It seems rather fruitless to bicker if it's moral or not without defining what morality even is for you.

We have plenty of morality threads but the topic will continue with no definitive answer. I'm not one for belief in absolute morality but I don't know your basis or claim of morality.

Every moral question is going to run up against this. I can't think of any principled moral reason why eating people would be bad, provided that nobody was hurt by it. It would certainly be, to say the least, insensitive to eat the remains of a person if someone grieving their loss didn't want you too. The dead don't know the difference though, and I don't suspect they ever would.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
15-08-2014, 11:49 AM
(15-08-2014 11:30 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 08:08 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It seems rather fruitless to bicker if it's moral or not without defining what morality even is for you.

Every moral question is going to run up against this. I can't think of any principled moral reason why eating people would be bad, provided that nobody was hurt by it. It would certainly be, to say the least, insensitive to eat the remains of a person if someone grieving their loss didn't want you too. The dead don't know the difference though, and I don't suspect they ever would.
best answer yet! Can we get this one pinned and laminated because this can pave the way for further belittling of Christian absolute morals.

eating human flesh is not intrinsically immoral. I have seen cows eat their own placenta because it is very rich in vitamins. to be honest if I was to die I would rather be eaten by human a being then be eaten by worms and whatever else it is that causes my body to decompose.
15-08-2014, 11:58 AM
I don't think I'd be grossed out by eating human flesh. I'd be interested in attending one of Hannibal's dinner parties.
15-08-2014, 12:17 PM
(15-08-2014 11:30 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 08:08 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It seems rather fruitless to bicker if it's moral or not without defining what morality even is for you.

Purity and tradition are just as much moral principles as reciprocity and empathy, though.

... this is my signature!
15-08-2014, 12:43 PM
(15-08-2014 12:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 11:30 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Every moral question is going to run up against this. I can't think of any principled moral reason why eating people would be bad, provided that nobody was hurt by it. It would certainly be, to say the least, insensitive to eat the remains of a person if someone grieving their loss didn't want you too. The dead don't know the difference though, and I don't suspect they ever would.

Purity and tradition are just as much moral principles as reciprocity and empathy, though.

The lines between "morality" and "culture" start to blur at that point.
15-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Morality is tricky as it is so context sensitive and subjective that it's hard to define black and white rules. Also the issue of granularity (cultures, subcultures, individuals, families) plays a big part as any set of social beings can come up with a unique set of morals.

To me the act of eating human flesh is on par with having sex with cadavers or raping children. Needless to say I wouldn't associate with a person who considered those to be acceptable activities.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
15-08-2014, 12:49 PM
(15-08-2014 12:43 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 12:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Purity and tradition are just as much moral principles as reciprocity and empathy, though.

The lines between "morality" and "culture" start to blur at that point.

And it doesn't at any other point?

... this is my signature!
15-08-2014, 12:52 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2014 12:56 PM by Wicked Clown.)
I think my flesh is sacred and for someone to not eat it is just throwing it away. That's gross!

I eath healthy and bet my flesh is nutritious. I would rather my flesh to go to waste. Some people keep the ashes of their loved ones. Why not have intimacy with them by making them a part of you?

Luke 22
19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

John 6
49 Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which anyone may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

53 Jesus said to them, b]“Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them.
15-08-2014, 01:11 PM
(15-08-2014 12:47 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  To me the act of eating human flesh is on par with having sex with cadavers or raping children.

Consider

I don't see any of those things being similar at all...

Certainly wouldn't consider them to be equally immoral. Considering the latter would negatively affect a living person in a substantial way, I'd say its by far the worst.

There are circumstances where eating human flesh may be necessary for survival... But I can't see the others ever being necessary.