What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2014, 01:13 PM
RE: What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?
I have no doubt that if I were hungry enough I'd eat a person. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I murdered someone for food. My desire to live is very strong. Morality doesn't really factor into it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
16-08-2014, 01:41 PM
(15-08-2014 07:09 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I'm grossed out by the idea of eating a human and especially a fetus. I'd probably throw up. I'm speaking specifically of how it is immoral. I doubt it's any worse for you than eating pork , but have no evidence for this basis. I have no desire to eat a human being and probably find it as disgusting as you do. But to say it is morally wrong, is an entirely different ballgame. I don't see the behavior as being intrinsically immoral aside from the possibility that it may harm the person eating it, but some of that depends on the person who is being eaten.

Apparently human meat tastes like Pork so I have heard.
Does not surprise me because there are many similarities with human meat & pork - for example pork organs & skin do not get rejected in comparison to other animals for transplants.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post
16-08-2014, 01:55 PM
good. Because I've heard of people having pig valves. pigs also potty train themselves by only shitting in one corner. their eyes also look like the eyes of human beings at least from what I've seen in my foster home.
16-08-2014, 02:07 PM
(16-08-2014 01:13 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I have no doubt that if I were hungry enough I'd eat a person. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I murdered someone for food. My desire to live is very strong. Morality doesn't really factor into it.
especially if you didn't like the person. also, from what I hear, the flesh Asains taste different than the flesh of Europeans. you can kind of compare to how a cat fish tastes way different than a salmon. and the trout from a river is going to taste different than a trout from pond. to say to say all humans taste like pork is an overgeneralization.

I would taste way different now than I would have had as a fetus, and when Im middle aged, I would taste totally different than when I was a child, and when I'm an old man I wouldn't taste that good at all.
16-08-2014, 02:56 PM
(14-08-2014 10:14 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I actually watched a weird documentary that focused on sailor cannibalism and how when sailors were lost at sea or when they would run out of food while out at sea, sometimes they would have to resort to eating their weaker or more disliked members. The documentary basically explained that humans eating human flesh was unhealthy (due to the amounts of protein) and also very addictive.

Yes, I read something similar in a book. It was understood by sailors that if lost at sea and without any sustenance cannibalism would be the expected outcome.

By the way, I grew up near Donner Pass and last year I read a book about the Donner Party. It was a dreadful event and very depressing. Children were eaten.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-08-2014, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2014 05:44 PM by Ray Butler.)
The only thing that really makes humans different is the ability of conceptual reason; certain animals display rudimentary levels of understanding but in our case as a species we have crossed some singularity. So treating animals like they are at that same level isn't valid, but that doesn't mean we cannot hold them to a standard we decide.

Ironically reason gives us morality, some of us are obviously more generous with it than others, but I'd say it is a combination of not wanting to eat something else that is capable of conceptual reason, and not wanting to eat our own kind, at least not in the sense of cattle, if your plane crashes in the Andes all bets are off.

(edit; I think it is interesting to note that a lot of animals display what we would consider compassion in a range of ways, showing that morality certainly has roots in evolutionary instincts that have proven an advantage to survival, just we turn it from nature into concept)
16-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Welcome to the epitome of a good forum Newbie. Thank you for your wise proverbs! Thumbsup
16-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Ultimately we don't like Cannibalism because we are a social species with capacity for empathy for each other - this puts us off eating each other. I will also add some of the previous statements about potential evolutionary selection factors such as potential disease transmission, but don't see why this is any greater than other meat.

This is very intuitive - I would not want to eat my pet dog, something creepy eating something which one had an emotional relationship with. There is also a proportional relationship with degree of consciousness and our willingness to cause suffering or eat the species involved.

There is an exception which are certain tribes who have build a belief system about empowerment through cannibalism such as passing on the traits of the elders being eaten eg if you eat a wise sage you will become wiser (clearly the wise sage being eaten who told them this wasn't so wise)

In addition there are tribes who believe eating their enemy is some sort of victory over them - I think we saw this in Syria when some Al-Nusra front militant (Khalid al-Hamad) ate a piece of flesh from a victim loyal to Assad.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...17828.html

David Hume

16-08-2014, 06:17 PM
If a person were so inclined to eat human flesh, it would be difficult to get a steady supply of fresh meat without killing people.
Seems immoral to me. Ya know, that whole "murder is bad" thing kinda gets in the way.
16-08-2014, 06:27 PM
(16-08-2014 06:17 PM)pablo Wrote:  If a person were so inclined to eat human flesh, it would be difficult to get a steady supply of fresh meat without killing people.
Seems immoral to me. Ya know, that whole "murder is bad" thing kinda gets in the way.

Perhaps that's why the cannibalistic tribes eat humans only under certain circumstances which they find meaningful such as eating already dead wise elders or their enemies. Looks like actually farming humans to eat hasn't occurred. If it tastes like pork just eat pork.

David Hume