What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2014, 07:31 PM
RE: What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?
(16-08-2014 06:17 PM)pablo Wrote:  If a person were so inclined to eat human flesh, it would be difficult to get a steady supply of fresh meat without killing people.
Seems immoral to me. Ya know, that whole "murder is bad" thing kinda gets in the way.

That's when you get a job at the morgue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Re: RE: What is morally wrong with Cannbalism?
(16-08-2014 07:31 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  
(16-08-2014 06:17 PM)pablo Wrote:  If a person were so inclined to eat human flesh, it would be difficult to get a steady supply of fresh meat without killing people.
Seems immoral to me. Ya know, that whole "murder is bad" thing kinda gets in the way.

That's still where social "morality" or order can come into a struggle.

If you're only looking out for your self it may work fine. If someone is mad you ate their father it awakens an argument.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
16-08-2014, 07:40 PM
(16-08-2014 07:31 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  

Someone quickly notices bodies are half gnawed or missing. Embalming fluid is probably bad for you.
16-08-2014, 09:52 PM
the miracle of taxidermy
16-08-2014, 10:35 PM
(16-08-2014 06:08 PM)Baruch Wrote:  I will also add some of the previous statements about potential evolutionary selection factors such as potential disease transmission, but don't see why this is any greater than other meat.

That's actually quite simple.

The more closely related another species to our own, the greater the likelihood of hosting communicable pathogens. The species most likely to transmit human-infecting disease is, fairly tautologically, humans...

(16-08-2014 06:08 PM)Baruch Wrote:  In addition there are tribes who believe eating their enemy is some sort of victory over them - I think we saw this in Syria when some Al-Nusra front militant (Khalid al-Hamad) ate a piece of flesh from a victim loyal to Assad.

I think that ties back to the very strong purity strand running through a lot of our objection to it (it being elective cannibalism). That violation of purity is an extremely powerful symbolic act. There's a reason some people see flag burning as being a special act...

... this is my signature!
16-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Eating others could be morally right at some point of time, but it would somehow give ways others to follow along loosely, as in to murder people for their thighs and arms cuz wouldn't those taste good with mash potatoes and garlic? Also I don't quite understand how eating foetus could be cannibalism. Not that I support it or I view eating foetus is ok, but I just don't see a restaurant in the city offers in its menu anytime soon - stewed foetus with parmesan cheese and aspargus. Would that be insulting to all mothers out there? Putting morality aside, eating other human beings is up to debate on whether it is wrong or not. I, personally, do not want to be known among my friends to be that guy who eats John on a Monday, Sandra on a Tuesday and many Micheals on a Sunday feast.
17-08-2014, 01:59 AM
(16-08-2014 10:35 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(16-08-2014 06:08 PM)Baruch Wrote:  I will also add some of the previous statements about potential evolutionary selection factors such as potential disease transmission, but don't see why this is any greater than other meat.

That's actually quite simple.

The more closely related another species to our own, the greater the likelihood of hosting communicable pathogens. The species most likely to transmit human-infecting disease is, fairly tautologically, humans...

(16-08-2014 06:08 PM)Baruch Wrote:  In addition there are tribes who believe eating their enemy is some sort of victory over them - I think we saw this in Syria when some Al-Nusra front militant (Khalid al-Hamad) ate a piece of flesh from a victim loyal to Assad.

I think that ties back to the very strong purity strand running through a lot of our objection to it (it being elective cannibalism). That violation of purity is an extremely powerful symbolic act. There's a reason some people see flag burning as being a special act...

I agree cjlr with this analysis - it does presuppose a powerful symbolic act as a shock factor for propaganda. Its not like Khalid al-Hamad's cannibalism was for the purpose of establishing a new human Kebab & Shewarma shop in Damascus.
[Image: 1024px-Shawarma_ad_Istanbul_%2801.10.2008%29.JPG]

Khalid al-Hamad below - the new delicatessen: KH human meat industries
[Image: 3612905737.jpg]

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
17-08-2014, 02:26 AM
It's "cannibalism," not "cannbalism," by the way. Sleepy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
17-08-2014, 03:00 AM
Oh how embarrassing. Jokes on me Blush

I knew anjele was the one who liked his post before I checked. I hope you both feel good about yourselves.
17-08-2014, 01:39 PM
(11-08-2014 04:54 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  If we're going to have millions of abortions each year, what is unethical about eating the fetus rather than throwing it away.
I'm not sure about the ethics of it. You can label it right or wrong, or neutral however you see fit.

Regarding nutrition. Fetus are very small aren't they? How many would you need to get a decent feed?

Is there risk of aids, or other human disease?

I think I'll stick to beef, pork, chicken, duck, lamb, fish, Kangaroo (if I can get some), Veal...