What is on your bookshelf?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2015, 02:42 PM
So I did a few different searches for books, and unfortunately they came up empty handed. Just like most people, I enjoy collecting knowledge. I have a complete collection of Shakespeare, Orwell, Chauser, Goodkind, and many others. What I am looking for are books that explain physics, math, science, and just expanding of the mind. Electronic forms take up less room, are less expensive, but can not be picked up by another person when bored or just want to do some reading when visitors are over. Also, child friendly, not in the sense they withhold certain parts of life, but explain ideas where a young mind can grasp. I imagine this "collection" will grow with many others input and I look forward to reading the responses. Thank you very much. Also, if this is a duplicate to a previous thread, may somebody direct me to it. Thanks again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2015, 09:24 AM
RE: What is on your bookshelf?
A kindle..
14-02-2015, 11:04 AM
I got a kindle along with a big bookshelf full of books.

Lots of Shakespeare, theatre costuming books, history of costumes, various playwrights, a couple of astronomy books, book on how to tie knots, flags of the world, history books, historic maps book, ballet books, photo book of dancers, tons of art books. Books on design, architecture, building decks, home repair, pole vaulting techniques, pottery books, textile books, picture books of the Oregon Trail, Columbia Gorge photo book.

Pat Conroy books, Ayn Rand books, Traditional Archery books, Homer: The Odyssey, Books on acting, directing, theater lighting and theatre makeup. Rock and Water gardening, The Brothers Karamazov. Complete works of Charles Dickens. Books about the pyramids. Plays of David Mamet. Beowulf and Other Poems.

In my kindle I have lots of books about atheists, biographies of Queen Elizabeth, Universe From Nothing, Sex and Punishment:Four Thousand Years of Judging Desire (great book) Passage of Power by Robert Caro, The Bible Unearthed, biography of Ava Gardner, The Song of Spider-man: The Inside Story of the Most Controversial Music in Broadway History...(great and funny book on the failures of the Broadway musical of Spiderman. Just a scream.)

And a bunch of other stuff........

It's waaaaaay too easy to buy a book on my kindle. I just press a button. Dammit!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-02-2015, 11:54 AM
I have always liked sci fi and sometimes fantasy and I actually have some old books kicking around at my house.
My favorite though has always been the apocalypse stories. I remember seeing a movie long ago about a guy that was alone in the world. I don't know what it was called but I've been fascinated with the idea of the end of civilization ever since. I can't get enough of that shit. It seems if you were to go through my books and e books you'd find a lot of survival books both serious and comedic. One of my favorites is "The Zombie Survival Guide." And of course a lot of speculative fiction on the end. The zenith in my opinion is "Earth Abides."
You won't find any Shakespeare on my shelf. For some reason I've never been a fan. But to list what I have is difficult. Not because I have all that much but because I generally remember fuck all..
15-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Maybe I need to get myself a kindle. I have a tablet that I use, but I do not like how the pages are displayed, after awhile from reading my eyes really hurt. It's true the kindle does not do this?
15-02-2015, 10:34 AM
(15-02-2015 10:29 AM)Typhon Wrote:  Maybe I need to get myself a kindle. I have a tablet that I use, but I do not like how the pages are displayed, after awhile from reading my eyes really hurt. It's true the kindle does not do this?

Yes. At least the one I have doesn't hurt the eyes.
15-02-2015, 10:36 AM
(15-02-2015 10:34 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(15-02-2015 10:29 AM)Typhon Wrote:  Maybe I need to get myself a kindle. I have a tablet that I use, but I do not like how the pages are displayed, after awhile from reading my eyes really hurt. It's true the kindle does not do this?

Yes. At least the one I have doesn't hurt the eyes.

Which model do you have? I've only played with original kindles that just read books.
15-02-2015, 10:54 AM
(15-02-2015 10:36 AM)Typhon Wrote:  
(15-02-2015 10:34 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Yes. At least the one I have doesn't hurt the eyes.

Which model do you have? I've only played with original kindles that just read books.

I suppose it's the original but I dont really know. It's just called Amazon Kindle. It's the one with the keyboard on the bottom.
15-02-2015, 11:02 AM
I have a Kindle but prefer having a real book in my hands. I did take the Kindle with me to doctor's appointments when I knew there would be a lot of waiting but just never really made the transition to the e-reader format.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
15-02-2015, 11:17 AM
(15-02-2015 11:02 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I have a Kindle but prefer having a real book in my hands. I did take the Kindle with me to doctor's appointments when I knew there would be a lot of waiting but just never really made the transition to the e-reader format.

It's great for me as I spend so much time in isolation. Working in camp and all. If I want a book I don't have to wait to get home so I can visit a book store. Just type in the title or author or just browse. I love it.