What is on your bookshelf?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2015, 11:18 AM
RE: What is on your bookshelf?
(15-02-2015 11:17 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(15-02-2015 11:02 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I have a Kindle but prefer having a real book in my hands. I did take the Kindle with me to doctor's appointments when I knew there would be a lot of waiting but just never really made the transition to the e-reader format.

It's great for me as I spend so much time in isolation. Working in camp and all. If I want a book I don't have to wait to get home so I can visit a book store. Just type in the title or author or just browse. I love it.

In your situation, I would do the same. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-02-2015, 11:19 AM
I'm forcing myself to read Roger Penrose's "The Road to Reality". (Hawking's mathematical buddy). A history of math. It's pretty good.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-02-2015, 12:20 PM
(15-02-2015 11:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm forcing myself to read Roger Penrose's "The Road to Reality". (Hawking's mathematical buddy). A history of math. It's pretty good.

It's a big ol' chunk of tree. I also started having a gander at it the other day. Eish... Is gonna be a long term project, is all I can say...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-02-2015, 02:00 PM
I prefer books over Kindle or Audio, but the amount of time I spend traveling or being out in the boonies somewhere makes it irrational to have anywhere near as large a library as I'd like. I've also got a vast Audible collection ranging from zombie fiction to Steven Pinker that dwarfs everything here and some Norse books at a different house.

My little book shelf:
[Image: 6E1FlMf.jpg]

[Image: oDGCmdj.jpg]

[Image: 2NkILCN.jpg]

[Image: BZYs60r.jpg]

Bookshelf overflow, currently reading, or so often read I don't bother putting it away. Also a few children's books in Chinese I read to my kids. I'm hoping they pick it up Tongue For now my 3 year old only talks to me in English and French, not sure how much of the Chinese he actually understands.
[Image: DOL8fFc.jpg]

[Image: iua0rdt.jpg]

Kindle:
[Image: 5n3oRnZ.jpg]

[Image: 6aHJgUA.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
15-02-2015, 02:25 PM
I need to pick up a kindle. I'm up at campus today waiting to take a test in the testing lab. I borrowed one from the library. Really nice. I can read it a lot better than a tablet. I guess the pale white background does help. Their version is the white one with keyboard also.
15-02-2015, 02:31 PM
I've got the most recent Kindle Paperwhite with this case and I'm quite happy with it. I had it with me during winter training recently and it not only survived, but didn't need a recharge the whole time despite fairly regular use. The ridiculous battery life of the Kindle (not counting Kindle Fire, which really is more of a tablet) is also a big reason for going with it as opposed to just using a smartphone or tablet.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
15-02-2015, 02:47 PM
(15-02-2015 02:31 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I've got the most recent Kindle Paperwhite with this case and I'm quite happy with it. I had it with me during winter training recently and it not only survived, but didn't need a recharge the whole time despite fairly regular use. The ridiculous battery life of the Kindle (not counting Kindle Fire, which really is more of a tablet) is also a big reason for going with it as opposed to just using a smartphone or tablet.

Yes the battery does last a long time. Maybe the phone guys could learn a thing or two..
15-02-2015, 02:55 PM
(15-02-2015 02:31 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I've got the most recent Kindle Paperwhite with this case and I'm quite happy with it. I had it with me during winter training recently and it not only survived, but didn't need a recharge the whole time despite fairly regular use. The ridiculous battery life of the Kindle (not counting Kindle Fire, which really is more of a tablet) is also a big reason for going with it as opposed to just using a smartphone or tablet.

That is a beautiful case! I really like the map look. I need to get one. The tablet I have really hurts my eyes after a while. Reading on my iPhone for anything longer than a few minutes is a joke.
15-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Well it uses some kind of screen printing thing where it only takes power to change pages. Once the text is on page, it could theoretically stay there indefinitely.

'Murican Canadian
15-02-2015, 03:08 PM
So essentially with a strong case. The kindle can store massive amounts of info, and keep it safe. Well except from an EMP.