What is on your bookshelf?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2015, 10:27 AM
RE: What is on your bookshelf?
(23-02-2015 10:19 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I actually forgot about that. I have the complete collection of 3rd edition tucked away in a box. I can't bring myself to get rid of it. Beneath the hardened borderline psychopath wannabe, I'm really just a big nerd at heart.

My wife convinced me to get rid of all of my 2E books about eight or so years ago. I'm partially filled with regret, even though I have no intention on running a 2E game again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
23-02-2015, 11:08 AM
My current bathroom reading material:

[Image: 5756644B-9ED8-432F-A113-8514ABA51C73_zpsakzriv5c.jpg]

I can't read it in bed or I'd just fall asleep. Not enough pictures.

Most of my books are work related (nursing/medical) or hard science textbooks. I don't have a bookshelf at this point in time, so most are in a box.

The rest of my books are fluffy romance novels, all on the Nook. I read to escape. I've got a small handful of books on atheism, also on my Nook app.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
23-02-2015, 11:24 AM
That book is too big to be read while in bed anyways. Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
23-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Since we are talking books...

I am interested in word origins and have considered studying Latin - any suggestions for books on either?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
23-02-2015, 11:38 AM
(23-02-2015 11:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Since we are talking books...

I am interested in word origins and have considered studying Latin - any suggestions for books on either?

How far do you intend to go with it? Do you actually want to learn the language, or just the word origins aspect of it?

Without many people to talk to, or without the chance that you will likely ever even come across someone to talk to (especially not being religious), languages that are essentially dead can get boring very quickly without very specific goals.

'Murican Canadian
23-02-2015, 11:42 AM
(23-02-2015 11:38 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(23-02-2015 11:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Since we are talking books...

How far do you intend to go with it? Do you actually want to learn the language, or just the word origins aspect of it?

Without many people to talk to, or without the chance that you will likely ever even come across someone to talk to (especially not being religious), languages that are essentially dead can get boring very quickly without very specific goals.

My interest is more in word origins. I am able to break a lot of words down and figure them out due to knowing the root. I easily learned medical terminology years ago using word roots.

No, I don't expect to be having any conversations in Latin any time soon. Just looking for another nerdy pastime. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
23-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Well, if you want to learn the origin of words, you could get an etymological dictionary. Or go to http://www.etymonline.com/ Tongue It's quite synthetic so you see just the relevant information. If you want to go deeper, then you go much deeper into the realm of historical linguistics and that might get boring soon if you don't really like it. Like me studying finance and economy for example. Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
23-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Music for piano, voice and guitar.

Classical, art song, opera, folk, etc. along with some music theory and other texts that I thought were worth holding onto after I sold out and switched majors from Music to Finance.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
23-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Well, let's see... I've got:

1. Two complete shelf units full of chess books and magazines (plus more piled on the floor);

2. One complete shelf unit full of mathematics books (plus more piled on the floor);

3. One complete shelf unit full of science books -- mostly physics, but some others as well (plus more piled on the floor);

4. At least four complete shelf units full of literature (essays, poetry, plays, novels, etc.) (plus more piled on the floor);

5. Several shelf units filled with books on miscellaneous other topics (electronics and computer science, dictionaries, encyclopedias, general reference books, history, bicycling, baseball, music, camping/backpacking, environmentalism, etc.) -- and more piled on the floor, of course;

6. Enough books on philosophy, religion, "Great Books", etc. to fill several more shelf units -- most of these are piled on the floor.

Yes, I need more shelf units (and probably a bigger apartment to put them in) -- or I could stop buying so many books...
27-02-2015, 06:45 AM
What is on your bookshelf?
I picked up the current complete set of Game of Thrones at a yard sale and also the Percy Jackson series for the kids. They have a few of the books already, but not all of them. The lady only wanted $35 for both sets!!