What is on your bookshelf?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2015, 09:22 AM
RE: What is on your bookshelf?
(23-02-2015 11:42 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(23-02-2015 11:38 AM)yakherder Wrote:  How far do you intend to go with it? Do you actually want to learn the language, or just the word origins aspect of it?

Without many people to talk to, or without the chance that you will likely ever even come across someone to talk to (especially not being religious), languages that are essentially dead can get boring very quickly without very specific goals.

My interest is more in word origins. I am able to break a lot of words down and figure them out due to knowing the root. I easily learned medical terminology years ago using word roots.

No, I don't expect to be having any conversations in Latin any time soon. Just looking for another nerdy pastime. Tongue

[Image: winnie-ille-poh.jpg]

[Image: pu-001.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
27-02-2015, 09:41 AM
For Latin I'd recommend the Wheelock books. But to be honest, they're dry and a bit of a pain.

And I don't like talking to people who don't read. It feels like a chore.
Find all posts by this user
27-02-2015, 09:59 AM
When my ol' lady moved in I had to make some donations to the local library - as I had 4 sets of shelves full....

We have quite an odd collection of stuff - lots of fiction, text, reference, ect...... Some seriously strange stuff in there.

One thing I collect -- Stephen King hardbacks... I look for early or first editions. Only rule - they have to be bought at garage sales.

I'd hate to think what it would have cost me if I'd paid retail for all of 'em.... He gets enough money from me on his newer books.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Dust.
A spider web.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-02-2015, 10:03 AM
"a" spider web??

Best import some -- the poor little guy's gonna die of loneliness...

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Picked up a few paperbacks today. Bought a grocery bag full for $4. I haven't really looked through it yet.

This is how hoarding begins, buying stuff without really knowing what it is; just because the price is good.
[+] 1 user Likes Typhon's post
02-03-2015, 07:45 AM
The decapitated heads of my enemies, which I will deliver at your doorstep at random intervals in hopes of approval. The squirrel and bird heads are particularly popular at the moment.

[Image: giphy.gif]
02-03-2015, 07:47 AM
(02-03-2015 07:45 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  The decapitated heads of my enemies, which I will deliver at your doorstep at random intervals in hopes of approval. The squirrel and bird heads are particularly popular at the moment.

We only accept bats. Our kitty delivers bats.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot the magazines. No I'm not nuts.
[Image: 6qUNG9C.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
02-03-2015, 12:30 PM
(02-03-2015 11:45 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Oh yeah, I almost forgot the magazines. No I'm not nuts.
[Image: 6qUNG9C.jpg]

3rd over, 2nd down... just to the left of "Guns & Ammo"... Is that first visible letter an "R" (and there's a 'T' that is hidden)? I hope... at first glance it looks pretty bad.
Consider

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP