What is our governments job?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2011, 02:08 PM
What is our governments job?
I am having a discussion about what we should expect out of our government. What services should or government be in charge of? (i.e. - defense, fed banking, social services...etc.) I would love to hear your thoughts, ideas, and rational.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
— Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2011, 02:16 PM

RE: What is our governments job?
You can expect anything you want to but all you'll get is deception.

Politics 101. Dodgy
Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2011, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2011 02:33 PM by Zephyr.)
If you want to be a cynic, i'd say, don't expect much...

Though ideally, to represent the people who elected it properly, and not treat us like the children they act in The House of Commons (i'm not sure if its quite so full of juvenile antics over in the states, but it really can be here...)

I do feel though, the government should maintain and support a welfare state for those who need it. I'm no economics expert, to any extent. But, i think the government should also have a hand in regulating it to an extent, to avoid any crisis' which do come about after so many years.

Defence i personally think that over here in the UK, such a large land army isn't needed. Defence spending is sloppy and inefficient and bloated bureaucracy should be cut, and better focus spent on coping with our now deteriorating navy and airforce.

I'm big on a secular government and one that doesn't limit freedom of speech as i'm sure almost all of us are here..

"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people" - House.
25-05-2011, 02:29 PM
I would say it has a dynamic role depending on the state of the world and the needs of the nation. It would be short sighted, in my opinion, to make unchanging boundaries for a government when changes happen so quickly and drastically. To govern now would be much different than governing in 1850, or even 1960 for that matter.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
Dana Gould
[+] 1 user Likes Fear Culture's post
25-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Interesting point and sensible, but in the current state of the world, what do you think fundementally in these times that governments (or your) should be doing?

I do in my own opinion though think that there are some things that we should expect as time moves on generally no matter the situation. The ones that are or should be the corner stones of our society...the rule of law, (a fair rule of law at that). Democracy, and for us the people not to be "oppressed" or for "oppression" to be tolerated.

"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people" - House.