What is our purpose?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2013, 12:00 AM
What is our purpose?
Do we really have a way to go in life? Is there a purpose to our existence? Do we even exist anyway?

No, you don't have to agree with me on everything. You can argue all you want, since I welcome all viewpoints. Come! Come! Let's have a well-reasoned banter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2013, 01:33 AM
RE: What is our purpose?
Looks like your purpose is to find your purpose.

You have a function, you have capabilities, as well as capabilities yet realized. Think of a reasonable goal or goals, and work towards it. There, you have your purpose.

If you're not careful, someone else might choose your purpose for you, and it might not be so beneficial to you, as it is to the person making the decision for you.
[+] 3 users Like PoolBoyG's post
30-07-2013, 01:42 AM
(30-07-2013 01:33 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Looks like your purpose is to find your purpose.

You have a function, you have capabilities, as well as capabilities yet realized. Think of a reasonable goal or goals, and work towards it. There, you have your purpose.

If you're not careful, someone else might choose your purpose for you, and it might not be so beneficial to you, as it is to the person making the decision for you.

Hmm, I can agree on that point, but does a purpose really exist? And if so, is there any proof that it does?

No, you don't have to agree with me on everything. You can argue all you want, since I welcome all viewpoints. Come! Come! Let's have a well-reasoned banter.
30-07-2013, 01:51 AM
The definition of purpose that I put forward earlier was a goal or aim that is decided on for that person.

Once you have a goal or aim - an overarching goal when your life as a whole is considered (not something like "the goal of getting your car fixed on monday"). That will then be your purpose. It exists at that point once the decision has been seriously made, and worked towards.

Do you need to come up with a purpose? No. But i'd wager that it satisfies certain psychological needs. That you're better off mentally if you're aware of some goal or aim to work towards to. So that's one motivation.

If you have some other definition of "purpose", I can't comment any more.
30-07-2013, 01:55 AM
(30-07-2013 01:51 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  The definition of purpose that I put forward earlier was a goal or aim that is decided on for that person.

Once you have a goal or aim - an overarching goal when your life as a whole is considered (not something like "the goal of getting your car fixed on monday"). That will then be your purpose. It exists at that point once the decision has been seriously made, and worked towards.

Do you need to come up with a purpose? No. But i'd wager that it satisfies certain psychological needs. That you're better off mentally if you're aware of some goal or aim to work towards to. So that's one motivation.

If you have some other definition of "purpose", I can't comment any more.
Ah, so that was your meaning. In that, I agree fully.

30-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Simulation expresses the moral will of the universe to conserve entropy. Thumbsup

My purpose is to love Gwyneth Paltrow. I'm all over that. Wink

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Contextualism

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
30-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Instead of 'home' substitute 'purpose'. "Purpose is what you make it."

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
30-07-2013, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 09:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-07-2013 12:00 AM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  Is there a purpose to our existence?
(30-07-2013 01:33 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Looks like your purpose is to find your purpose.

Like the PoolBoy says, to invent a purpose.

(30-07-2013 12:00 AM)ilgrigiogrey Wrote:  Do we even exist anyway?

Irrelevant wrt purpose.

(30-07-2013 06:56 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Simulation expresses the moral will of the universe to conserve entropy. Thumbsup

My purpose is to love Gwyneth Paltrow. I'm all over that. Wink

You really ain't quite right in the head is you Johnny. Wink And the fact that I understand exactly what you mean troubles me greatly. Hobo

Breathing - it's more art than science.
30-07-2013, 11:46 PM
To pass on your genetic code. HAIL SCIENCE CLASS!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  This is the purpose of human life. Luminon 75 2,059 08-08-2013 04:57 PM
Last Post: Luminon
  The Purpose of Philosophy robotworld 50 2,208 17-05-2013 03:29 AM
Last Post: jetbebop
  Why do some believe in a purpose? Hennepin 35 1,000 09-05-2013 05:15 PM
Last Post: Hennepin
  what is lifes purpose without god? Johnathan 41 3,117 24-05-2012 03:29 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball