What is our purpose?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2013, 01:16 AM
RE: What is our purpose?

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
31-07-2013, 02:41 AM
On the individual level, we must define our own purposes. On a collective level, our species exists for the sole reason of reproduction. Life exists so it can continue to live.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
31-07-2013, 11:05 AM
"We are here because of you Mr. Anderson; we are here to take from you what you took from us... *stab* Purpose...

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
31-07-2013, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2013 03:04 PM by Luminon.)
I've got an answer right here. Mind you, the purpose of life is knowable and useful to know. You just need some good philosophers to arrive at it. I've took ideas from some good ones, but it took experience to bring them together.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...human-life

This thread was tainted by frivolity and some unidentifiable cultural references, so I started a new one Smile

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
31-07-2013, 03:26 PM
(31-07-2013 03:00 PM)Luminon Wrote:  This thread was tainted by frivolity and some unidentifiable cultural references, so I started a new one Smile

Undecided

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

31-07-2013, 07:39 PM
(31-07-2013 03:00 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I've got an answer right here. Mind you, the purpose of life is knowable and useful to know. You just need some good philosophers to arrive at it. I've took ideas from some good ones, but it took experience to bring them together.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...human-life

This thread was tainted by frivolity and some unidentifiable cultural references, so I started a new one Smile

Which will be tainted by frivolity and unidentifiable cultural references soon enough. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Purpose is not a quality of something like dimension or mass. It is something that must be given, and so exists solely within the mind. Thus there are no right or wrong purposes, just different purposes, and the only difference between them is how one perceives the thing which is ascribed purpose.

Our purpose is whatever we decide it to be.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 04:24 PM by fstratzero.)
purpose
1. The object toward which one strives or for which something exists

Purposes are something living beings give an object. For example rocks have no purpose, but the do have a process that brought about their existence. Once encountered by a living being, a rock may be used for many different things. What those rocks are used for is their purpose. That purpose of course exists until to goal is accomplished or the rock breaks and loses it's usefulness.

In our human world we all know how we came into existence, yet want some kind of goal to work towards. The reason we exist is that our parents had sex. What purpose we give our own lives is something we have to give our selves.

Our purpose in biological terms is to reproduce adding to the genetic diversity of our species in hopes that our contribution genetically speaking will have some kind of advantage.

TL;DR Human existence has an explanation. The purpose of life is something you have to give to your own life.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 04:40 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I asked my puppy. He assured me, I exist to walk, water, and feed him.
Oh, heavens. Not frivolity. Oh noes.

"I"ve took " ?
Maybe we should take an English class.
Our new prophet-pretender has just discovered that which has eluded thinkers for thousands of years.
He wants to share it with you.
Sound familiar ?

So someone discovers a meaning for himself.
Bend over.
Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
01-08-2013, 04:58 PM
A purpose is what you make it. You can spend your entire life questioning it, or you can spend your entire life establishing and fulfilling what you believe it should be. Thumbsup

still really sad that zayne left one direction like you guys don't even know
[+] 3 users Like Ferdinand's post