What is our soul?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 08:00 AM
What is our soul?
Really interested in some discussion about your thoughts on the soul. How do you define it? Where does it go when we die?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2016, 08:13 AM
RE: What is our soul?
It's non-existant.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 9 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-03-2016, 08:21 AM
Hello! Big Grin

Welcome to the forums.

I was having a chat with a colleague at work a while ago about just such a subject. Smile

So... the gist of it was, them making the kind of statement that 'Neither of us were actually 'qualified' to make serous discourse about the subject since neither of us were accredited theologians.'

To which I replied that not being a professional doesn't stop the average lay man thinking about anything and discussing such thoughts about anything in general.

We then got down to the nitty-gritty and I asked about the properties of 'The soul'.

When are they formed? (Are souls made in heaven? Are souls made on some other plane of existence (Not necessarily heaven)?

What might they be formed out of?

Where might they exist if they are made before arriving within the human form?

Do souls go to other things other than the human form?

These questions then led onto other questions which said colleague said they would need to think about such things and their consequences.

So, Doggers, might you have some thoughts on such questions as well?
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post
09-03-2016, 08:34 AM
(09-03-2016 08:00 AM)doggers Wrote:  Really interested in some discussion about your thoughts on the soul. How do you define it? Where does it go when we die?

It does not exist.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
09-03-2016, 08:35 AM
(09-03-2016 08:00 AM)doggers Wrote:  Really interested in some discussion about your thoughts on the soul. How do you define it? Where does it go when we die?

I don't believe that any "soul" exists except in the metaphorical or poetic sense. When we die our brain stops working and all available evidence is that that is the end. Our physical bodies are recycled by nature and the only way we live on is in memories and recordings.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
09-03-2016, 08:36 AM

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Soul? You mean something like this?[Image: 104_0170.JPG]

Pic should suffice for definition. And about where it go when we die, probably some other family member will claim it.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
09-03-2016, 08:53 AM

I'm assuming you are talking about our consciousness. The thought processes and memories that make you who you are.

These are a product of the chemical processes that make up our brain. When our bodies die, the self dies.

Everything about our "self", such as memories, desires, everything can be changed by damage to the brain, drugs, age deterioration, disease, etc.

Right now, "I" am. In the future, "I" will be gone.
Love it, hate it, accept it, deny it, doesn't matter, doesn't change it.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
09-03-2016, 09:35 AM
People use "soul" as a catch-all to describe any number of things. Christians and other theists I think generally take it to mean a part of your being which is eternal and exists beyond the physical. I don' think such a thing exists, we're just too self-centered to imagine the possibility of a universe without some version of us in it.

I'm an atheist but I use the word soul. For me it's meant to describe spirit, lust for life, joie de vivre, ruach, etc. I don't think it's some eternal force, more our capacity for emotional reaction and communication. Secularly speaking I think what this word is getting at is our individuality, the personal attributes we think make us who we are beyond just our vital statistics, height, weight, eye color, cholesterol count, etc.

I'm a guitar player and I think music is just about the best window into one's "soul" that we as a species have come up with. Get 100 different guitar players to play you a 12 bar blues in A, and no 2 guys will play it exactly the same, but none of them will be "wrong" either. Some players are described as having soul, others not. Maybe it's our individuality, the intangibles of personal history, perspective, emotion, etc. which inform the way each of us "play" in life which is what the "soul" is meant to describe.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
09-03-2016, 10:39 AM

I think of my consciousness as my soul. I don't see it as a separate entity from my body. I see it as an integral part of me. I don't think it goes anywhere when we die. I think it ceases to exist because it is biological in nature. It's a type of biological activity such as respiration or digestion or the endocrine functions. I don't think these functions continue after death so why would my consciousness? I think this whole idea of the soul as a separate entity is a consequence of our fear of death. It's a rationalization.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick