What is our soul?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 11:07 AM
RE: What is our soul?
"We" don't go anywhere when we die.
The culture of the West is obsessed with the notion that ultimately "individuals" are what ultimately matter. Evolution tells us otherwise. That in no way invalidates the quality of an individuals life. In fact it enhances it.

There is no possible mechanism for post-mortem preservation of individual identity. The brain decays, and without that there is no "person".

In case you're religious, the Hebrews who wrote the Bible did not believe in "souls"
"for we are dust and return to dust", or immortality for individuals. St. Paul thought only the saved were immortal. Immortality as an idea, developed over time for specific reasons. (References upon request).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2016, 11:08 AM
(09-03-2016 08:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Soul? You mean something like this?[Image: 104_0170.JPG]

Pic should suffice for definition. And about where it go when we die, probably some other family member will claim it.

Yeah? Well my soul (plate) is filthy dirty and has holes in it.

[Image: How-To-Clean-An-Iron-At-Home-2.jpg]

My soul needs cleaning. Rolleyes

PS. There's no such thing as a soul. It's just the brain making up stuff to account for personal feelings, thoughts and emotions.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-03-2016, 11:12 AM
At work.

Please some one link "They Might Be Giants" song, 'Birdhouse in your soul'.

Thumbsup
09-03-2016, 11:17 AM
(09-03-2016 08:00 AM)doggers Wrote:  Really interested in some discussion about your thoughts on the soul. How do you define it? Where does it go when we die?

What is a soul?
09-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Some kind of literary framing device.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
09-03-2016, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 11:23 AM by TheInquisition.)
Isn't this sort of like asking - when I turn off my X-Box after playing Call of Duty, where do those soldiers go? Does my character go to some place where they aren't fighting constantly?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 8 users Like TheInquisition's post
09-03-2016, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 12:06 PM by doggers.)
Thank you all for your comments. I posted this because me and a good friend were having a discussion about our beliefs last night. Just to clarify, much like 'true scotsman' and 'unfogged' I do not believe any part of us exists after death other than the physical body which will decompose and become something else.

My friend was surprised by this, and asked me what I believed happened to the none-physical attributes, my soul or spirit. He believes that our souls are an energy, but science doesn't yet have the equipment to measure this energy (much like x-rays were only discovered over a hundred years ago). And he argued that much like the molecules of our physical self will take another physical form after our death, perhaps the same thing would happen with the energy from our souls.

I definitely should have asked him to clarify exactly what he meant by a soul, but I told him that I didn't believe any part of me existed without my physical body - that I didn't believe there was another place for spirits. If the power is removed from a computer, it dies, and that was the best way I could explain my thoughts to him.

I know this topic is going to come up again with my friend so I wanted to hear some of your ideas to help me better explain my point of view and deal with some of his trickier questions.
09-03-2016, 12:04 PM
(09-03-2016 11:08 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Yeah? Well my soul (plate) is filthy dirty and has holes in it.

[Image: How-To-Clean-An-Iron-At-Home-2.jpg]

My soul needs cleaning. Rolleyes

Then repaint Smile

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-03-2016, 12:05 PM
A concept for the west that might of been something of a philosophical concept in Ancient Greek, but was corrupted in the modern "west" due to Christian theosophists.

Aristotle's De Anima wasn't talking about a soul in the same way we generally think of a soul today.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-03-2016, 12:07 PM
(09-03-2016 08:00 AM)doggers Wrote:  Really interested in some discussion about your thoughts on the soul. How do you define it? Where does it go when we die?
It goes to the north Pole where Santa Claus recycles it.