What is our soul?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 12:09 PM
RE: What is our soul?
(09-03-2016 08:21 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hello! Big Grin

Welcome to the forums.

We then got down to the nitty-gritty and I asked about the properties of 'The soul'.

When are they formed? (Are souls made in heaven? Are souls made on some other plane of existence (Not necessarily heaven)?

What might they be formed out of?

Where might they exist if they are made before arriving within the human form?

Do souls go to other things other than the human form?

These questions then led onto other questions which said colleague said they would need to think about such things and their consequences.

So, Doggers, might you have some thoughts on such questions as well?

Thanks for the welcome Smile It's good to be here! I'm going to put your questions to my friend and I'll let you know what he comes back with!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2016, 12:25 PM
(09-03-2016 12:02 PM)doggers Wrote:  Thank you all for your comments. I posted this because me and a good friend were having a discussion about our beliefs last night. Just to clarify, much like 'true scotsman' and 'unfogged' I do not believe any part of us exists after death other than the physical body which will decompose and become something else.

My friend was surprised by this, and asked me what I believed happened to the none-physical attributes, my soul or spirit. He believes that our souls are an energy, but science doesn't yet have the equipment to measure this energy (much like x-rays were only discovered over a hundred years ago). And he argued that much like the molecules of our physical self will take another physical form after our death, perhaps the same thing would happen with the energy from our souls.

I definitely should have asked him to clarify exactly what he meant by a soul, but I told him that I didn't believe any part of me existed without my physical body - that I didn't believe there was another place for spirits. If the power is removed from a computer, it dies, and that was the best way I could explain my thoughts to him.

I know this topic is going to come up again with my friend so I wanted to hear some of your ideas to help me better explain my point of view and deal with some of his trickier questions.

This isn't my area of expertise but I don't think souls work with the physics of the universe. I believe I read somewhere that if souls had some sort of energy or force this wouldn't make any sense when accounting for entropy. Someone else might have to chime in on this.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-03-2016, 12:30 PM
(09-03-2016 11:20 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Isn't this sort of like asking - when I turn off my X-Box after playing Call of Duty, where do those soldiers go? Does my character go to some place where they aren't fighting constantly?

I like to think that all the characters are kicked back, relaxing and hanging out.

Or maybe the game characters are playing their Xbox and simulating you...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
09-03-2016, 12:41 PM
(09-03-2016 12:30 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Or maybe the game characters are playing their Xbox and simulating you...

And because their lives are so violent, the thing they crave most of all in video games is boredom and routine.

"I'm going to play Used Car Salesman 3. Fuckin' *A* man. You can get a mortgage and move to a slightly more upmarket neighbourhood. You can go to the doc and get blood pressure pills! It's the best shit ever!"

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
09-03-2016, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 01:55 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-03-2016 12:02 PM)doggers Wrote:  Thank you all for your comments. I posted this because me and a good friend were having a discussion about our beliefs last night. Just to clarify, much like 'true scotsman' and 'unfogged' I do not believe any part of us exists after death other than the physical body which will decompose and become something else.

My friend was surprised by this, and asked me what I believed happened to the none-physical attributes, my soul or spirit. He believes that our souls are an energy, but science doesn't yet have the equipment to measure this energy (much like x-rays were only discovered over a hundred years ago). And he argued that much like the molecules of our physical self will take another physical form after our death, perhaps the same thing would happen with the energy from our souls.

I definitely should have asked him to clarify exactly what he meant by a soul, but I told him that I didn't believe any part of me existed without my physical body - that I didn't believe there was another place for spirits. If the power is removed from a computer, it dies, and that was the best way I could explain my thoughts to him.

I know this topic is going to come up again with my friend so I wanted to hear some of your ideas to help me better explain my point of view and deal with some of his trickier questions.

The question is meaningless.
"Going somewhere" requires space-time.
Assuming a spiritual definition is timeless and spaceless, "transitions" even in this context, are incoherent. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-03-2016, 12:57 PM
(09-03-2016 08:00 AM)doggers Wrote:  Really interested in some discussion about your thoughts on the soul. How do you define it? Where does it go when we die?

Where does the light go when you turn off the light switch?
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
09-03-2016, 12:59 PM
The best analogy I can come up with is that my soul is Joseph Hazelwood and we are headed for Bligh Reef.

#sigh
09-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Don't have one, don't want one.
09-03-2016, 01:25 PM
People lump emotional aspects caused by brain induced chemicals together and call them soul. That's the best I can come up with, based on the expression that something is "soulful".

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Our soul?

This...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post