What is our soul?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 01:56 PM
RE: What is our soul?
You should really be asking Barry Gordy his question.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
09-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Fiction.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
09-03-2016, 04:02 PM
The soul is:

- A mythological construct purported to be vital to your existence. Despite the fact that they must interact with the physical world, specifically your body, they have evaded every atempt to detect them to date. They are brewed up in Russel's Teapot, hang out with the Heffalumps and when you die they go to Neverland.

- A necessary component of most religions without which they would be unable to tempt you with ever-lasting bliss or threaten you with eternal torment. For God so hated the world that he slew his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him not shall not perish but have their soul roasted for eternity.

- A failed attempt by early religion and philosophy to explain the human mind. The human mind is the software running on the hardware of your brain and as such is intangible, in the traditional, narrow-minded "made of solid, liquid or gas" sense. It can be measured and is entirely explicable in natural terms. When you die, the mind goes to the same place that all information goes when its medium is destroyed. It goes away. It is aware of its impending destruction which is why all of our species are slightly mad.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
09-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Our soul enters a whale that will breach the surface to let of a gush of water in the bright sunshine. The ensuring rainbow is the soul that returns to earth and will await it's rebirth. . . either that or it doesn't exist. Well until proven, naturally. (^_^)
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
09-03-2016, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2016 04:15 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-03-2016 04:09 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Our soul enters a whale that will breach the surface to let of a gush of water in the bright sunshine. The ensuring rainbow is the soul that returns to earth and will await it's rebirth. . . either that or it doesn't exist. Well until proven, naturally. (^_^)

Farscape bitches! I think of myself as Pilot but I really am Leviathan.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-03-2016, 04:32 PM
The thought and definition of a soul has many interpertations.

I'll use Star Trek as my basis.

In Star Trek they have this thing as a Teleporter. It telaports you from the planets surface to the ship (really anywhere) and back. So lets say we have a Red shirt standing on the surface of Omicron Persei 8. Big Grin The teleporter deatomizes him and reconfigures him on the ship. Or dose it?

[Image: sf9bbgc1hc32lcyyhjm1.gif]

Now there's a fan theory that states it not so much as moving one body to another location, but more as an advanced 3d printer. This technology can be seen in other parts of the ship as well. They have food replicators that can make anything from a cup of tea to a full 4 course meal.

[Image: food-replicator.jpg]

What if all the teleporter did was kill Red Shirt 1 on the planet and make a new clone on the shit. It would have all the identical memories of the former Red Shirt and not having the former Red Shirt around would only make it think he was the original Red Shirt. Why kill the original red shirt? With the number times These crews jump around the universe would be teaming with Star Trek crew members.

Red Shirt 2 would have all the memory's and habits of Red Shirt 1. But Red shirt 1 is Dead. Never to return. If they co existed would we say they were the same person or two different individuals? We would need some way of telling them apart. RS 1 and RS2 would both have every memory up to the point of RS2 creation. They would act the same in and on a biological level they are the same. So as far as the rest of the world would be consercn weather 1 or 2 died it wouldn't make a diffrence. They would still have a RS. But for me If RS1 died he would no longer be collecting those life experinces.

I feel like I need to mean something when I say soul or at least the way I think of something. Kind of like Windows of the mind. It can be updated or have things added or deleted. But it still the program that runs it. I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago. But I still feel the same.

[Image: notokoga.jpg]

I know this will not conclude I've proven what a soul is by any means. But it's what I think about when people talk about it.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
09-03-2016, 07:30 PM
(09-03-2016 04:32 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  The thought and definition of a soul has many interpertations.

I'll use Star Trek as my basis.

In Star Trek they have this thing as a Teleporter. It telaports you from the planets surface to the ship (really anywhere) and back. So lets say we have a Red shirt standing on the surface of Omicron Persei 8. Big Grin The teleporter deatomizes him and reconfigures him on the ship. Or dose it?

[Image: sf9bbgc1hc32lcyyhjm1.gif]

Now there's a fan theory that states it not so much as moving one body to another location, but more as an advanced 3d printer. This technology can be seen in other parts of the ship as well. They have food replicators that can make anything from a cup of tea to a full 4 course meal.

[Image: food-replicator.jpg]

What if all the teleporter did was kill Red Shirt 1 on the planet and make a new clone on the shit. It would have all the identical memories of the former Red Shirt and not having the former Red Shirt around would only make it think he was the original Red Shirt. Why kill the original red shirt? With the number times These crews jump around the universe would be teaming with Star Trek crew members.

Red Shirt 2 would have all the memory's and habits of Red Shirt 1. But Red shirt 1 is Dead. Never to return. If they co existed would we say they were the same person or two different individuals? We would need some way of telling them apart. RS 1 and RS2 would both have every memory up to the point of RS2 creation. They would act the same in and on a biological level they are the same. So as far as the rest of the world would be consercn weather 1 or 2 died it wouldn't make a diffrence. They would still have a RS. But for me If RS1 died he would no longer be collecting those life experinces.

I feel like I need to mean something when I say soul or at least the way I think of something. Kind of like Windows of the mind. It can be updated or have things added or deleted. But it still the program that runs it. I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago. But I still feel the same.

[Image: notokoga.jpg]

I know this will not conclude I've proven what a soul is by any means. But it's what I think about when people talk about it.

Did you read this?

[Image: tumblr_mb7nx2CnGp1qic6uj.jpg]

I recall the transporter section well. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-03-2016, 05:24 PM
(09-03-2016 12:02 PM)doggers Wrote:  Thank you all for your comments. I posted this because me and a good friend were having a discussion about our beliefs last night. Just to clarify, much like 'true scotsman' and 'unfogged' I do not believe any part of us exists after death other than the physical body which will decompose and become something else.

My friend was surprised by this, and asked me what I believed happened to the none-physical attributes, my soul or spirit. He believes that our souls are an energy, but science doesn't yet have the equipment to measure this energy (much like x-rays were only discovered over a hundred years ago). And he argued that much like the molecules of our physical self will take another physical form after our death, perhaps the same thing would happen with the energy from our souls.

I definitely should have asked him to clarify exactly what he meant by a soul, but I told him that I didn't believe any part of me existed without my physical body - that I didn't believe there was another place for spirits. If the power is removed from a computer, it dies, and that was the best way I could explain my thoughts to him.

I know this topic is going to come up again with my friend so I wanted to hear some of your ideas to help me better explain my point of view and deal with some of his trickier questions.

Sounds like you need to get a new friend that isn't a complete idiot.

"it's there, science just doesn't have the technology to prove it yet" is the most retarded argument. The reason why scientists use it is because the math supports their hypothesis or other evidence that proves something is there/could happen. ie: gravity waves recently were proved which were hypothesized by Einstein.
But Einstein didn't just pull this hypothesis out of his ass, he had good reason to make it.

Your friend however, what is his prove? What math supports his assumption that the soul is real? what can he point at that can conclude that a soul 'must' exist? Or is he just pulling it out his ass?

[Image: oscar.png]
10-03-2016, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 08:06 PM by Babakazoo.)
I don't have time to give definition or personally written reasons but here is an interesting writing on near death experiences. It has sources cited and everything, tell me what you guys think. Especially everyone that says souls don't exist. Proceed to article 4 "science, medicine, and near death experiences. http://www.magiscenter.com/science-reaso...resources/
Well I can't get the clickable link to work, IDK what I'm doing wrong. Sorry you will have to copy and paste
10-03-2016, 08:30 PM
(10-03-2016 08:02 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  I don't have time to give definition or personally written reasons but here is an interesting writing on near death experiences. It has sources cited and everything, tell me what you guys think. Especially everyone that says souls don't exist. Proceed to article 4 "science, medicine, and near death experiences. http://www.magiscenter.com/science-reaso...resources/
Well I can't get the clickable link to work, IDK what I'm doing wrong. Sorry you will have to copy and paste

NDE's make perfect sense as the reviving brain trying to organize and understand the unusual conditions and stimuli. Death is not always an on/off situation and "near death" is not death. NDE proponents have much more wishful thinking than evidence.

http://intelligencesquaredus.org/press/i...sciousness

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP