What is our soul?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2016, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 09:16 PM by Babakazoo.)
RE: What is our soul?
(10-03-2016 08:30 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 08:02 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  I don't have time to give definition or personally written reasons but here is an interesting writing on near death experiences. It has sources cited and everything, tell me what you guys think. Especially everyone that says souls don't exist. Proceed to article 4 "science, medicine, and near death experiences. http://www.magiscenter.com/science-reaso...resources/
Well I can't get the clickable link to work, IDK what I'm doing wrong. Sorry you will have to copy and paste

NDE's make perfect sense as the reviving brain trying to organize and understand the unusual conditions and stimuli. Death is not always an on/off situation and "near death" is not death. NDE proponents have much more wishful thinking than evidence.

http://intelligencesquaredus.org/press/i...sciousness

I'll definitely read this. You should take time to read mine though, it is not limited to just " organizing the unusual condition" it includes organizing as you put it, new, unattainable information. It is fascinating in my opinion. Plus it does offer a couple of theories to debunk the medical dilemma.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2016, 09:18 PM
(10-03-2016 08:02 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  I don't have time to give definition or personally written reasons but here is an interesting writing on near death experiences. It has sources cited and everything, tell me what you guys think. Especially everyone that says souls don't exist. Proceed to article 4 "science, medicine, and near death experiences. http://www.magiscenter.com/science-reaso...resources/
Well I can't get the clickable link to work, IDK what I'm doing wrong. Sorry you will have to copy and paste

Seriously?

The link Babakazoo provided Wrote:We recommend that readers examine these resources in the order shown below.

1) Video – Science, God & Creation Video

2) Study Guide – From Nothing To Cosmos

3) Article – Philosophical Proof of God

4) Article – Science, Medicine, and Near Death Experiences

And that's just the Table of Contents. Methinks I'll approach this one with a smidge of skepticism.

I know that this is going to come as a shock to some, but the recollections of an unconscious brain suffering the trauma of near-destruction are slightly less reliable than those of somebody who took two shots of mescaline, three shots of LSD and washed it down with a peyote chaser.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
10-03-2016, 10:05 PM
(10-03-2016 09:18 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  

Seriously?

The link Babakazoo provided Wrote:We recommend that readers examine these resources in the order shown below.

1) Video – Science, God & Creation Video

2) Study Guide – From Nothing To Cosmos

3) Article – Philosophical Proof of God

4) Article – Science, Medicine, and Near Death Experiences

And that's just the Table of Contents. Methinks I'll approach this one with a smidge of skepticism.

I know that this is going to come as a shock to some, but the recollections of an unconscious brain suffering the trauma of near-destruction are slightly less reliable than those of somebody who took two shots of mescaline, three shots of LSD and washed it down with a peyote chaser.
Yes, seriously. My bio openly states my belief, where do you expect I spend the majority of my time online? You can take it with as much skepticism as you please. You can't confirm your skepticism until you read it though. He references multiple peer reviewed journals, 4 studies in specific, and over a dozen different doctors, both religious and secular. He even offers I believe 4 or 5 secular explanations. If you guys are majorly concerned with being offended by Christian based propositions just avoid the conclusion and you'll be good. It's a very objective paper.
10-03-2016, 10:38 PM
(10-03-2016 10:05 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 09:18 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Seriously?

Yes, seriously. My bio openly states my belief, where do you expect I spend the majority of my time online? You can take it with as much skepticism as you please. You can't confirm your skepticism until you read it though. He references multiple peer reviewed journals, 4 studies in specific, and over a dozen different doctors, both religious and secular. He even offers I believe 4 or 5 secular explanations. If you guys are majorly concerned with being offended by Christian based propositions just avoid the conclusion and you'll be good. It's a very objective paper.

Pardon me while I scoff at your source 'Majis Center'.

"Our Mission: To provide a comprehensive and systematic response to restore, reconstruct, and revitalize belief in God, the transcendent dignity of every human person, the significance of virtue, the higher levels of happiness, love, and freedom, and the real presence of Jesus Christ."
11-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Now to actually answer the question I would offer that the soul is the transcendent piece of a human being. It as many see it is eternal. It is closely linked to our entire body and probably most closely linked to the brain as it retains memories, common bodily functions such as sight and hearing, and retains everything we would define as a person's consciousness or personality. While the soul probably has of interaction with the way a brain works as far as chemical reactions and electrical currents, it retains this information for itself.
11-03-2016, 08:38 AM
(11-03-2016 08:36 AM)Babakazoo Wrote:  Now to actually answer the question I would offer that the soul is the transcendent piece of a human being. It as many see it is eternal. It is closely linked to our entire body and probably most closely linked to the brain as it retains memories, common bodily functions such as sight and hearing, and retains everything we would define as a person's consciousness or personality. While the soul probably has of interaction with the way a brain works as far as chemical reactions and electrical currents, it retains this information for itself.

... And your evidence for this babble is?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
11-03-2016, 08:39 AM

Your source is transparently biased and untrustworthy, as has been pointed out previously. This is true for all of its articles, not just those relating to NDEs.

I did, however, read the article regardless. It is bunk, based on data from known cranks and riddled with outright falsehoods. It has long since been established, for instance, that the reports of "sight" given during NDEs are inaccurate, and nothing more than hallucinations.

The soul does not exist, and I would encourage you to be more discriminating in your choice of sources if you wish to convince anyone otherwise.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 4 users Like Unbeliever's post
11-03-2016, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2016 09:18 AM by Babakazoo.)
morondog ' Wrote:  ... And your evidence for this babble is?

My link shared previously.

And unbeliever I'd love to read a recent source to prove that it is indefinitely hallucinations. Secondly even if it were hallucinations can you explain to me why many report visual empirical evidence of findings for example the dentures in the OR and the shoe on the ledge? That can't possibly be hallucination, they are too accurate to be a hallucination.
11-03-2016, 09:15 AM
(11-03-2016 08:36 AM)Babakazoo Wrote:  Now to actually answer the question I would offer that the soul is the transcendent piece of a human being. It as many see it is eternal. It is closely linked to our entire body and probably most closely linked to the brain as it retains memories, common bodily functions such as sight and hearing, and retains everything we would define as a person's consciousness or personality. While the soul probably has of interaction with the way a brain works as far as chemical reactions and electrical currents, it retains this information for itself.

This is a good definition of the traditional "soul" concept and what many believers would agree with. When I was a believer, I would have accepted this definition.

As an unbeliever, I ask:
Can you show any evidence to support this belief? Physical, medical, anything scientifically verified?

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing to support this belief except faith.
I need more than faith to believe.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-03-2016, 09:20 AM
(11-03-2016 09:15 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  This is a good definition of the traditional "soul" concept and what many believers would agree with. When I was a believer, I would have accepted this definition.

As an unbeliever, I ask:
Can you show any evidence to support this belief? Physical, medical, anything scientifically verified?

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing to support this belief except faith.
I need more than faith to believe.
See the above source for an extensive collection of evidence. Also thank you I wasn't sure how good my definition was as I wrote it eating breakfast on a trip away from home.