What is "real" blasphemy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2012, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 08:40 AM by Theofrak.)
What is "real" blasphemy
[Image: ingersoll.jpg]

Robert G. Ingersoll (August 11, 1833 - July 21, 1899) was a Civil War veteran, American political leader, and orator during the Golden Age of Freethought, noted for his broad range of culture and his defense of agnosticism. He was nicknamed "The Great Agnostic."

Ingersoll was involved in several prominent trials as an attorney, including his defense New Jersey man charged with blasphemy. Although he did not win acquittal, his vigorous defense, a portion of which is quoted below, is considered to have discredited blasphemy laws and few other prosecutions followed.

Quote:What is blasphemy? I will give you a definition; I will give you my thought upon this subject.

What is real blasphemy?

To live on the unpaid labor of other men -- that is blasphemy.

To enslave your fellow-man, to put chains upon his body -- that is blasphemy.

To enslave the minds of men, to put manacles upon the brain, padlocks upon the lips -- that is blasphemy.

To deny what you believe to be true, to admit to be true what you believe to be a lie -- that is blasphemy.

To strike the weak and unprotected, in order that you may gain the applause of the ignorant and superstitious mob -- that is blasphemy.

To persecute the intelligent few, at the command of the ignorant many -- that is blasphemy.

To forge chains, to build dungeons, for your honest fellow-men -- that is blasphemy.

To pollute the souls of children with the dogma of eternal pain -- that is blasphemy.

To violate your conscience -- that is blasphemy.

The jury that gives an unjust verdict, and the judge who pronounces an unjust sentence, are blasphemers.

The man who bows to public opinion against his better judgment and against his honest conviction, is a blasphemer.

http://www.theofrak.com/2012/07/what-is-blasphemy.html

www.Theofrak.com - because traditional religion is so frakked up

[Image: evol2.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Theofrak's post
31-07-2012, 09:46 AM
RE: What is "real" blasphemy
Nice post. Cheers dude.

Last year I read Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays by L. K. Washburn.

Very amusing stuff.

I was amazed when I realised it was written in 1911. The last few pages were a tribute to yer man above.

31-07-2012, 09:53 AM
He lived to be 166 years old? Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
31-07-2012, 09:57 AM
(31-07-2012 09:53 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  He lived to be 166 years old? Consider

Smartass.
We all know real blasphemy is saying something negative about a certain blonde.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-07-2012, 11:32 AM
(31-07-2012 09:53 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  He lived to be 166 years old? Consider

I was going to say this.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
31-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Pah!

When the gods invented numbers, they never meant them to be taken literally. Look for the inner meaning... it's metaphor.

[+] 8 users Like DLJ's post
31-07-2012, 03:51 PM
(31-07-2012 09:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Nice post. Cheers dude.

Last year I read Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays by L. K. Washburn.

Very amusing stuff.

I was amazed when I realised it was written in 1911. The last few pages were a tribute to yer man above.

There were many interesting thinkers between the 1820s and 1920s. Provocative thought seems to have been highly revered in that age; a very basic past time!

Gee... now we have Wii ... not to mention, woo. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
31-07-2012, 04:11 PM
(31-07-2012 03:51 PM)kim Wrote:  Gee... now we have Wii ... not to mention, woo. Dodgy

Don't be knockin no Wii, girl friend. How many balloons in the Segway course can YOU pop ?

So funny. There are actually sites dedicated to teach me how to *cheat*, at Wii. How insane is THAT ? A fake score in a fake game ?

http://www.cheatmasters.com/cheats/29768...heats.html

That is woo.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-07-2012, 04:15 PM
(31-07-2012 04:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(31-07-2012 03:51 PM)kim Wrote:  Gee... now we have Wii ... not to mention, woo. Dodgy

Don't be knockin no Wii, girl friend. How many balloons in the Segway course can YOU pop ?

So funny. There are actually sites dedicated to teach me how to *cheat*, at Wii. How insane is THAT ? A fake score in a fake game ?

http://www.cheatmasters.com/cheats/29768...heats.html

That is woo.

Holy shit - that is woo! Tongue

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
07-08-2012, 08:39 AM

Good catch!

www.Theofrak.com - because traditional religion is so frakked up

[Image: evol2.png]