What is religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2015, 12:29 AM
What is religion?
My view is that religion has two aspects. First, people naturally ask questions about what life is about and why the world is what it is. If these thoughts go back to the beginnings of our ability to think rationally, then this aspect of religion must have arisen organically and not by any concerted plan. People observed, talked and came to a common view about things. That is how, I believe, star worship and worship of natural phenomenons arose, like lingam worship. People then generally come to accept this out of herd mentality.

The second aspect takes the phenomenon of herd mentality and uses it to "create" a religion by writing things down and shifting the religion in a certain direction.

I think this is what the books of western religions are. They take the dominant organic religion and give it a new direction for a political purpose. The New Testament took this paganism and turned it on its head because it was barbaric. The Koran took the pagan religion back to what it was, for those who hadn't converted to Christianity, and directed it at Christians, which is why it is closest to the Abrahamic religion. It's closer to what was "Judaism" than modern Rabbinical Judaism.

So, when the Israeli's throw women wearing headgears out of the Temple Mount Mosque, they are throwing real Jews out of the real Third Temple. GaspGaspGasp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2015, 05:36 AM
RE: What is religion?

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2015, 12:33 PM
(15-11-2015 12:29 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  My view is that religion has two aspects. First, people naturally ask questions about what life is about and why the world is what it is. If these thoughts go back to the beginnings of our ability to think rationally, then this aspect of religion must have arisen organically and not by any concerted plan. People observed, talked and came to a common view about things. That is how, I believe, star worship and worship of natural phenomenons arose, like lingam worship. People then generally come to accept this out of herd mentality.

The second aspect takes the phenomenon of herd mentality and uses it to "create" a religion by writing things down and shifting the religion in a certain direction.

I think this is what the books of western religions are. They take the dominant organic religion and give it a new direction for a political purpose. The New Testament took this paganism and turned it on its head because it was barbaric. The Koran took the pagan religion back to what it was, for those who hadn't converted to Christianity, and directed it at Christians, which is why it is closest to the Abrahamic religion. It's closer to what was "Judaism" than modern Rabbinical Judaism.

So, when the Israeli's throw women wearing headgears out of the Temple Mount Mosque, they are throwing real Jews out of the real Third Temple. GaspGaspGasp

It is a primitive, pre-scientific, non-rational philosophy. It is also the greatest vehicle for control of people ever invented.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
15-11-2015, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2015 01:43 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(15-11-2015 12:29 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  My view is that religion has two aspects. First, people naturally ask questions about what life is about and why the world is what it is. If these thoughts go back to the beginnings of our ability to think rationally, then this aspect of religion must have arisen organically and not by any concerted plan. People observed, talked and came to a common view about things. That is how, I believe, star worship and worship of natural phenomenons arose, like lingam worship. People then generally come to accept this out of herd mentality.

Nice fiction, but needs dragons and vampires. Cultural anthropologists know about when and how religion arose, and what the EVIDENCE is for that. Your speculations without any references, are nothing but made-up speculations. As for the rest of your unsupported assertions, they are complete bullshit. Judaism was not "barbaric", and Christianity and the NT evolved organically from what went before it, which clearly you know nothing about. Islam is not really an "Abrahamic" religion. It's entirely built on top of the Arabic moon god cult of the god named Sin. Scholars no longer talk in the old incorrect terms of "paganism" (although since you lack even a rudimentary education in even the basics, you wouldn't know anything about that).

But thanks for yet another example of your exercise in fake "dot connecting".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-11-2015, 02:15 PM
A set of excuses for any occasion. Only $19.95.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
15-11-2015, 02:28 PM
It's an effective way for one group of people to control another group of people.
16-11-2015, 04:14 PM
(15-11-2015 05:36 AM)izel Wrote:  

I agree completely. So who is the God of the Old Testament who has a Rod and a Staff which "comfort me"? Who is the big "man" in the "heavens" who people looked up to?

The good shepherd...

http://theheavensdeclare.net/?p=16786

Well, surprise, surprise, it's Orion.
16-11-2015, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2015 04:25 PM by ClydeLee.)
(16-11-2015 04:14 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  

I agree completely. So who is the God of the Old Testament who has a Rod and a Staff which "comfort me"? Who is the big "man" in the "heavens" who people looked up to?

The good shepherd...

Yeah it's older than that though.

Even the sprawled offshoots of the proto-IndoEuropean communities share these figurehead concepts of a god. A main sky-god as an elderly figure is pretty much consistent even to that cultural pinpoint. It's not certain to see if it goes back further, as in various other communities like African lore that's not a overly common figure.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-11-2015, 04:22 PM
(16-11-2015 04:14 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  

The good shepherd...

Well, it's not Orion as he is a hunter who Zeus placed in the sky.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2015, 11:10 PM
(16-11-2015 04:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-11-2015 04:14 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I agree completely. So who is the God of the Old Testament who has a Rod and a Staff which "comfort me"? Who is the big "man" in the "heavens" who people looked up to?

The good shepherd...

Well, it's not Orion as he is a hunter who Zeus placed in the sky.

That's what the lizard people want you to think

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post