What is rich?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2012, 11:02 PM
RE: What is rich?
I've found from my experience that the uber rich are very arrogant, egotistical people - both of these traits are highly undesirable imo.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
12-02-2012, 01:24 AM
(11-02-2012 09:37 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Would you also investigate the reasons for the poor being the poor?

I think he would, yes. I know i'd like to. And Archbishop Camara. But it's not a popular subject in America. People like rags-to-riches stories - wherein they tend to downplay the role of luck and help; tend to emphasize hard work and clever ideas; tend to overlook the ethical compromises a protagonist may have made on the way up the ladder -

- and choose to disregard entirely the fact that this can only happen to one in ten thousand poor kids, no matter how many are talented and industrious, while there is no theoretical limit to how many prosperous people can be ruined, rendered jobless, homeless and futureless by any new financial instrument, economic policy change or corporate restructuring.

Yes, it would be very instructive to research the aetiology of poverty.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
12-02-2012, 07:58 AM
So lets look at this scientifically through evolution:

Our very early ancestors bartered with goods, food being the most basic. The ones that had the most skill in acquiring food were able to both survive better (ate more and lived longer) and acquired even more goods by trading which also helped them lived longer (fur, shelter, etc.). And the only reason to give it away for no return was to further insure the survival of their group thereby benefiting them when defending their "stuff". So the natural tendency of our species is to acquire as much as possible and only give it away only if it benefits them or their group/family. Today we get this security with money, therefore, acquiring more assures that the person/family will survive. And giving it away without personal benefit isn't a logical survival tactic.

I would even propose that giving to charities, which I do generously, is an evolutionary trait of emotional survival. It makes us feel valuable and needed. Would you feel better having money taken out of your check and no idea where it is going or personally handing it over to a family on the corner? Why? So you can personally feel good. But you can't give anything away that you don't have so back to acquiring more "stuff"

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
12-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Rich is a relative term. When the bills are paid and you can spend what you want freely without worrying about next months bills you are rich. Or you are really living within your means. Tye public/governments definition of rich is usually a household making 250K per year. The 1%.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
12-02-2012, 09:12 AM
(11-02-2012 10:26 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I had a response I was going to post and now I'm seeing how this conversation has developed. This is a truly interesting conversation to see how everyone's opinion is on this. I have mixed feelings about wealth.... mainly because at one point I was making very good money, but I was an unhappy selfish asshole. I quite literally was sacrificing the relationship with my family, my friends and ultimately my ex wife (well, she wasn't my ex at the time).

My ex wife stuck me with a fucking mind ninja before my divorce. There was a time when every morning come market days I was up at market hours trading. Before we divorced I remember her saying - "Mark my words, you're obsessed with money. You'll die alone, unhappy with too much money always wondering why you were never happy. All you want to do is make more and more money. You get these things, you have expensive tastes, but you'll never be happy." I have to say... at first I thought nothing of it. After the divorce I was still trading and one day I woke up and was just ridiculously unhappy and I realized she was right. "FUCK! She's right! Oh man. What the hell!" It was about that time I had met the wonderful person I am now married to. I cut way down on trading, started enjoying the little things and decided money wasn't as important as I thought it was. Come the crash and falling of the dow and as of a year ago, I had not since then traded a single stock for the first time in years. It's since come back a good bit. But I've held off. I don't make as much, I still enjoy my toys, I still enjoy the things I like... but I'm far more happier making less. I was obsessed with it back then. I'm not anymore. I will probably at some point get back into it, but at my leisure, controlled and to a point where it's only no longer stressful.

I still have expensive tastes. But I have tried a lot in the past many years to control it and give back. I've helped my parents out, helped my family out and tried to realize that I'm not the only person around me that matters, but I wasn't that way... for a long time. But it felt good to help others. It felt good to put a smile on people's faces. It's a fantastic feeling when you realize you can help someone.

I still make decent money. But I've "cooled my jets" so to speak as far as it goes with how I used to be. I've far happier now. Helping others also is nice too.

I must agree that rich is subjective though. I know some people who make very little but live in very low cost of living areas and it goes well. Likewise, in the same area I know some who would be considered a middle class income and they feel rich. I know some people who are simply free of debt, to them, that's rich. Others just want to have enough not to worry about bills and finances and that is rich.

There are some people who are simply selfish and make money and spend it in greedy fashion. In all fairness, if they earned the money in a legit fashion, I suppose it is entirely up to them how they wish to spend their money. At the same time, I completely understand the point of - "Why is it they should be able to piss money away while others on the street are starving and struggling." But it isn't a perfect world, I don't think I can imagine anywhere on the planet where wealth is perfectly and evenly distributed where a society is 100% happy on all scales.

But to touch on Zat and Thomas's point - I think that society has all the right in the world to question and ensure that someone is making their money legitimately. That's why we have taxes. It's why we are required to report our income. If you have nothing to hide and you report and pay your money properly then you have no reason to worry, be upset or get angry about it. If on the flip side you aren't legit, you lie, cheat and exploit others and harm your fellow man for a buck then you're literally telling society that your fellow man is less important than the dollar. I think that's what really singes and boils blood deep down with people and that is why greed hurts so incredibly bad for people.

It's very easy if you have money to not want to spend it, or want to keep it for yourself, or feel like you don't want to give it up for someone else because it's yours and you worked for it. MINE!

But, when you finally start helping people out, when you give a little and can show your fellow man that you appreciate them. When you can learn to not be selfish about it and balance between having money and helping society it's much easier to be happy.

I have a few entrepreneurial friends who from the age of 18 till now have become extremely successful. I'm genuinely happy for them. They've done it in a legit fashion, found niche markets they can make a difference in and become some of the few that have been able to create a great amount of wealth in a short time. They didn't cheat people, they did things that helped and made people happy. If they want a big place if they want fast cars, sure, I'm fine with that. As long as they give back, pay their share and at the end of the day aren't greedy about it, then my hat is off to them. But those seem to be rare and harder to come by anymore.

At the same time, we see people who exploit people on a massive scale, lie, cheat, steal and are willing to throw people under the bus to get to the top.

So it always brings me back to the question: Is it really the wealth that causes problems? Or is it the greed that some people become obsessed with that is to blame?
It's greed all the way my friend. I seen it happen with my own brother. He would watch my mother starve. Now he needs help with his health and looks to us for it. I walked away . we have a rare blood type AB- and he needs a kidney. He let me go without food and didn't care if i lived or died. Now the shoe is on the other foot. I have enough health problems myself and i don't need to add his to mine. I may give in because he is my brother. But I am going to make him worry like I had to. Money don't buy happiness or your health. My mom begged me to help him so I need to think it over.
[+] 1 user Likes N.E.OhioAtheist's post
12-02-2012, 09:16 AM
(12-02-2012 09:12 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  My mom begged me to help him so I need to think it over.

Sell it to him for fair "Market Value"! Big Grin
13-02-2012, 12:13 AM
(12-02-2012 09:12 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  It's greed all the way my friend. I seen it happen with my own brother. He would watch my mother starve. Now he needs help with his health and looks to us for it. I walked away . we have a rare blood type AB- and he needs a kidney. He let me go without food and didn't care if i lived or died. Now the shoe is on the other foot. I have enough health problems myself and i don't need to add his to mine. I may give in because he is my brother. But I am going to make him worry like I had to. Money don't buy happiness or your health. My mom begged me to help him so I need to think it over.

That is indeed a difficult circumstance to be in. I am not sure what I would do. I'm sorry to hear that you've had to go through that. Greed does horrible things to people, even our own family.
13-02-2012, 10:29 AM
ITT OP is trying to get a liberal idea of what rich is so he can base his 90% income tax wet dreams on it.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
13-02-2012, 10:55 AM
If things in this country keep going in the same direction with the loss of the middle class, demonizing the unions, the UBER RICH, we will have class warfare. It wont be pretty either. Free trade has allot to do with our jobs going over seas. My brothers shop fights against Chinese cheaper parts. He has lost allot of bigger contracts to the Chinese crap. Funny thing is they came back to him after 1 year. Nothing was worth a damn from China. It's cheaper but not better. The steel was bad and the parts were made out of spects. Time will tell on what will happen. I only hope people are not on Paulcrack.
13-02-2012, 10:59 AM
(13-02-2012 10:55 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  Nothing was worth a damn from China. It's cheaper but not better. The steel was bad and the parts were made out of spects.

This is the fault of the buyer, not the seller. Why would a Chinese business build better quality, more expensive products when people buy the shit anyway?

-Mark Twain