What is science? What isn't?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2016, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2016 06:23 AM by Gloucester.)
What is science? What isn't?
Where does "science" start and stop? Almost everything is either science or dependant on it. Even woo is part of the "science" of human psychology, what separates the gullible from the rational? You can experiment on that.

The baby throws its rattle out of the pram or cot and looks down to watch it fall and bounce, then looks st the parent or minder. Two experiments, one in physics the other in psychology, "What does the parent think of my action, will I be praised or scolded? Is it going to pick the rattle up and give it back to me. Can I train, or condition, my parent?"

The first hominid who found that meat and veg heated in a lightning fire was easier to eat knew nothing about the the denaturing or "pre-digestion*" of food using heat, but it was a sort of scientific experiment to do it deliberately.

Banging a bail into wood is an application of scientific principle, so is cutting your finger, oiling your bike chain, changing the colour of "red" cabbage (see the "How does bleach work" thread). . . . . . . .

So, is there anything that does not depend on science or scientific principles?

* The first pressure cookers (17thC) were called "digesters".

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2016, 06:36 AM
RE: What is science? What isn't?
Are there things that exist independent of the laws of physics? No as far as we know.
Are there technologies that were invented based on pre scientific notions of the world? Yes, but most have been improved by modern science based engineering.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
27-08-2016, 07:11 AM
(27-08-2016 05:07 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Where does "science" start and stop? Almost everything is either science or dependant on it. Even woo is part of the "science" of human psychology, what separates the gullible from the rational? You can experiment on that.

The baby throws its rattle out of the pram or cot and looks down to watch it fall and bounce, then looks st the parent or minder. Two experiments, one in physics the other in psychology, "What does the parent think of my action, will I be praised or scolded? Is it going to pick the rattle up and give it back to me. Can I train, or condition, my parent?"

The first hominid who found that meat and veg heated in a lightning fire was easier to eat knew nothing about the the denaturing or "pre-digestion*" of food using heat, but it was a sort of scientific experiment to do it deliberately.

Banging a bail into wood is an application of scientific principle, so is cutting your finger, oiling your bike chain, changing the colour of "red" cabbage (see the "How does bleach work" thread). . . . . . . .

The only place science wouldn't apply would be the imagination, of course the mind conceiving of something does this on a substrate of physical matter, but something purely imaginary doesn't require allegiance to the laws of physics.

Kind of illuminates the nature of god claims doesn't it? Consider

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
27-08-2016, 07:18 AM
There is not one aspect of life that doesn't involves science. Your living is an act of science in motion. Now that most certainly is not advocating everyone be emotionless robots who don't find value in art and entertainment, just that if we are to gain knowledge as far as facts, those there is only one tool humans have that is universal to do that, and that is scientific method.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2016, 10:18 AM
(27-08-2016 07:11 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(27-08-2016 05:07 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Where does "science" start and stop? Almost everything is either science or dependant on it. Even woo is part of the "science" of human psychology, what separates the gullible from the rational? You can experiment on that.

The only place science wouldn't apply would be the imagination, of course the mind conceiving of something does this on a substrate of physical matter, but something purely imaginary doesn't require allegiance to the laws of physics.

Kind of illuminates the nature of god claims doesn't it? Consider
Yup, have to grant you that the imagination is not the "application" of science - the science only comes in with the electrochemical activity that gives us the ability to imagine. But I am glad of that we do have the ability, I enjoy reading fantasy!

27-08-2016, 10:22 AM
(27-08-2016 07:18 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  There is not one aspect of life that doesn't involves science. Your living is an act of science in motion. Now that most certainly is not advocating everyone be emotionless robots who don't find value in art and entertainment, just that if we are to gain knowledge as far as facts, those there is only one tool humans have that is universal to do that, and that is scientific method.
I would have said, "No aspect of the physical universe. As implied above the mental "universe" is different, though many mental illnesses have. a physical basis.

27-08-2016, 10:25 AM
Science is Love
Science is Life

☆☆☆
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
27-08-2016, 02:02 PM
I don't think there's a single definition of what science is, I think it's a combination of things. Creating a hypothesis, testing said hypothesis, seeing whether it matches observation, etc.

27-08-2016, 07:14 PM
This is almost like asking, what are all the things we can detect and what are the things we can't detect ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
27-08-2016, 08:10 PM
http://www.gly.uga.edu/railsback/1122science2.html