What is something you want to buy that is completely unrealistic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2018, 11:09 AM
RE: What is something you want to buy that is completely unrealistic?
Recently, I've been buying some of the books in the Library of America series. They are really beautiful books. You can get the complete collection (301 volumes) for only $7500. That's my unrealistic "wanna buy" -- unrealistic because (1) I don't have $7500, and (2) I don't have room for 301 more books in my apartment (I already have piles of books all over the floor because I ran out of shelf space a few years ago).

https://www.loa.org/books/395-the-comple...hrough-301
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2018, 11:28 AM
(29-01-2018 10:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nothing. I'd like to buy nothing. That's the most unrealistic thing I can think of. Wink

I would like to hire a feng shui practitioner to come in and toss out shit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-01-2018, 03:02 PM
New life in another country.

That's actually kind of simple but still, fairly unrealistic at this time.

I'ma try and work on it, though. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
30-01-2018, 04:37 PM
There is a ranch next to a ranch my close friend's family owns that I would buy in a heart beat if I could. There would be a need to look for a consistent source of water and digging of an outhouse involved, but I would live with that as would my children. I would build a semi underground house for protection against heat and cold. It would be heated by a wood stove and hopefully have water safe to drink, but the water issue could be dealt with in other ways.

The outhouse will be intentionally funky but will not require steps to get to. The house itself will face the south and hopefully have a view of the ocean but the ridge over will be ok.

I and my friends family will sell development rights to the Sonoma Co land trust and keep it as grazing land forever. We may even try to start grazing sheep there again (coyotes have made that difficult).

I keep investing in the lottery to make that happen.

It is miles down dirt and gravel roads. I find it a place for escape from what the world has become.
30-01-2018, 06:24 PM
A Lightning electric motorcycle.
- 200HP
- 200+ mph
- up to 180 mile range
- 0-60mph <2s

Only $40k+!

http://lightningmotorcycle.com/product/specifications/

Disappointing theists since 1968
30-01-2018, 06:33 PM
(30-01-2018 06:24 PM)A. Secular Human Wrote:  A Lightning electric motorcycle.
- 200HP
- 200+ mph
- up to 180 mile range
- 0-60mph <2s

Only $40k+!

http://lightningmotorcycle.com/product/specifications/

Moped + Jet Engine.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze

[Image: uj9MSSa.gif]
30-01-2018, 08:20 PM
(29-01-2018 01:06 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  A hand-made electric guitar from a small batch luthier or a custom shop in a major manufacturer like Fender or Gibson. Not realistic. I play in an on-again off-again trio, at our peak we gigged twice a month, lol.

My mom lucked herself into a custom bass fitting that description when a factory a block away from our house decided to relocate, sold her an unfinished body for $300, it just needed pick-ups and paint. (basically this one: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fano-al...0.1271823/ )
She had it painted a beautiful transparent blue, so you can still see the pretty wood grain patterns. So now she's got a fully custom bass for under $1K, retail on those suckers was like $3K I think. AND SHE ALMOST DIDN'T BUY IT (she had the money, she's just cheap as hell sometimes). She'd been playing for 40 years, with weekly gigs, basically her only hobby, and she was still using a beat up old P-bass.
So.... start working part time at a factory and wait for a good deal? Confused

Anyways, back on thread, I hate to be derivative, but I'd really love to buy my own island and start one of those silly micro-nations catering to atheists and intelligent people. I'm so tired of feeling like I'm the abnormal one for not believing in mythology. I'm increasingly afraid the US is heading toward theocracy. Anyone interested in splitting an island several ways with me someday? Puget sound????

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like MustangManda's post
31-01-2018, 12:22 PM
(29-01-2018 01:06 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  A hand-made electric guitar from a small batch luthier or a custom shop in a major manufacturer like Fender or Gibson. Not realistic. I play in an on-again off-again trio, at our peak we gigged twice a month, lol.

I feel your pain -- I'm wrestling with the prospect of paying $3000+ for a sopranino clarinet that I could only realistically use in Holst's First Suite and Portuguese dance bands -- and I don't know any Portuguese dance bands. I *still* want that squeaky little so-and-so for my collection. Sadcryface2

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
31-01-2018, 01:32 PM
(31-01-2018 12:22 PM)Astreja Wrote:  

I feel your pain -- I'm wrestling with the prospect of paying $3000+ for a sopranino clarinet that I could only realistically use in Holst's First Suite and Portuguese dance bands -- and I don't know any Portuguese dance bands. I *still* want that squeaky little so-and-so for my collection. Sadcryface2

You should go ahead and buy it anyway (unless you're talking about the teeny weeny Ab screecher, in which case: yikes!) You'll have plenty of opportunities to use it. There's an Eb in pretty much every Holst wind band composition and in a lot of concert band music, including many, many solos. Plus if you do orchestra stuff, there's lots and lots of Eb.

Next orchestra concert after this one I'm doing the Eb in Bolero. (sigh...not my favorite...but Eb is featured a bunch)

Tuning's a bitch, though.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
01-02-2018, 07:41 AM
An automatic Mahjong table for my house. I bought one for the local Senior Center, but I don't know anyone who would want to drive to my house for a game. Sad

[Image: VMAMT-5B.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post