What is the H for?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2013, 10:28 PM
What is the H for?
Jesus H Christ?? I have never heard of this until I joined TTA forum. What is the h for?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2013, 12:07 AM
RE: What is the H for?
I was indoctrinated to believe it was Hector?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
25-10-2013, 12:08 AM
(25-10-2013 12:07 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I was indoctrinated to believe it was Hector?

Seriously? Why have I never heard of this? What denomination believes in Jesus Hectir Christ?
25-10-2013, 12:24 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ

Quote:While many explanations have been proposed, some serious and some not, the most widely accepted derivation is from the divine monogram of Christian symbolism. The symbol, derived from the first three letters of the Greek name of Jesus ( Ἰησοῦς), is transliterated iota-eta-sigma: IHS, ΙΗϹ (with lunate sigma), JHS or JHC. Since the transliteration IHS gave rise to the backronym Iesus Hominum Salvator (Latin for "Jesus, savior of men"), it is plausible that JHC similarly led to Jesus Harold Christ,[6] Harold coming from the mispronunciation of the word "hallowed" of the Lord's Prayer: "Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name."

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-10-2013, 12:28 AM
(25-10-2013 12:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ

Quote:While many explanations have been proposed, some serious and some not, the most widely accepted derivation is from the divine monogram of Christian symbolism. The symbol, derived from the first three letters of the Greek name of Jesus ( Ἰησοῦς), is transliterated iota-eta-sigma: IHS, ΙΗϹ (with lunate sigma), JHS or JHC. Since the transliteration IHS gave rise to the backronym Iesus Hominum Salvator (Latin for "Jesus, savior of men"), it is plausible that JHC similarly led to Jesus Harold Christ,[6] Harold coming from the mispronunciation of the word "hallowed" of the Lord's Prayer: "Our Father who art in heaven hallowed be thy name."

Interesting. I wonder why I never heard of Jesus H. Christ when I was a Christian. Very odd.
25-10-2013, 12:32 AM
Nah, I'm pretty sure he was Latin. I'll have to check wiki again.....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
25-10-2013, 12:32 AM
(25-10-2013 12:28 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 12:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ

Interesting. I wonder why I never heard of Jesus H. Christ when I was a Christian. Very odd.

I can only speak for the UK here (or my experience) but I think it is generally only used as a profanity hence why you would not have heard it as a Christian.
P.S. LandI - I love your sense of humour (not to mention your courage, intelligence and cuuuute kids)
[+] 1 user Likes englishrose's post
25-10-2013, 12:37 AM
(25-10-2013 12:32 AM)englishrose Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 12:28 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Interesting. I wonder why I never heard of Jesus H. Christ when I was a Christian. Very odd.

I can only speak for the UK here (or my experience) but I think it is generally only used as a profanity hence why you would not have heard it as a Christian.
P.S. LandI - I love your sense of humour (not to mention your courage, intelligence and cuuuute kids)

Oh ok. Yea we didn't study much profanity!

Awww thank you!! <3
25-10-2013, 01:55 AM
I was always under the impression it didn't stand for anything.
It was sort of just added because Jesus Christ wasn't enough to express the level of discomfort one is suffering and so an H was added as a sort of emphasis. Much how like fuck is used. Fuck itself is a pretty meaningless word but it's used as a sort of filler word to add emphasis.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
25-10-2013, 01:59 AM
(25-10-2013 01:55 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I was always under the impression it didn't stand for anything.
It was sort of just added because Jesus Christ wasn't enough to express the level of discomfort one is suffering and so an H was added as a sort of emphasis. Much how like fuck is used. Fuck itself is a pretty meaningless word but it's used as a sort of filler word to add emphasis.

So you are confirming that it's just a profanity?