What is the Most...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2012, 08:41 PM
What is the Most...
...embarrassing thing you did in the name of faith while you were a theist?

I realize not all of us here were once believers, but for those who were, what things did you do in the name of faith that, today, you look back on with feelings of shame and regret?

For me, it was a number of things (that I can remember):

1) I ruined a friend's birthday party because she proposed a harmless game of "light as a feather; stiff as a board". I insisted that this was a blatant act of witchcraft and began ranting about her desire to invite demons into her life and home. (Come to think of it, as a JW, I'm not sure how I managed to be there in the first place)

2) I broke down crying to a religious official about my new-found habit of self-gratification.

3) I forced a friend to remove a "satanic" song from an online social network account because I had to hear it each time I visited her page.

4) I forced the same person - while we were in a romantic relationship - to erase her most deeply-held passion, horror films, from her life because they dealt with themes of death, spiritism, the supernatural and the occult.

5) I eventually abandoned our plans to wed because she wasn't as "christian" as I thought she should be.

6) I drove my car to a nearby river and dumped the majority of my CD collection (more than half) into the water because some songs contained spiritistic, occult and even *GASP* atheistic themes. (This is probably the worst offense of all. lol)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2012, 09:15 PM
RE: What is the Most...
Awesome topic.....

The only thing coming to mind at present is repeatedly writing letters to a man I knew telling him how I prayed for him and just how much God loves him....he was born with spina bifida and was always in pain... Yeah, nice going, god loves WHO?

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
06-12-2012, 09:39 PM
We once participated in a mural contest in high school and our school made something with jesus and of course we lost. One of my class mates worked really hard on it and when she started crying I tried to help her by telling her how much god loved us because we made something in his name and all that shit...

Until this day I feel embarrassed about that, most embarrassing thing I did in my life D:

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
06-12-2012, 09:40 PM
I guess it would be returning a prize I had won at my best friends church becasue they were seven day adventists and thus the 'wrong' religion

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
06-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Failing at giving my favorite science teacher a Watchtower magazine. He refused. Big Grin It's funny and yet my stomach still twists at the thought.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
06-12-2012, 10:28 PM
What about a young closeted atheist to get the approval from his girlfriend's (now wife's) theist parents approval? Hmmm?

When I was fifteen or sixteen I attended church, to include some youth group thing, and even participated in a "play" which was a recreation of the crucifixion. Even then I was the guy that got crucified and went to hell Laugh out load Not really that knowledgeable on my Christian lore, I think I was the thief that refused Jesus in his final moments, or something like that. What a teenager won't do for pussy...but still very embarrassing today. On the bright side I ended up with an awesome wife with awesome (though somewhat closed-minded) in-laws.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
06-12-2012, 10:40 PM
(06-12-2012 10:28 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  What about a young closeted atheist to get the approval from his girlfriend's (now wife's) theist parents approval? Hmmm?

When I was fifteen or sixteen I attended church, to include some youth group thing, and even participated in a "play" which was a recreation of the crucifixion. Even then I was the guy that got crucified and went to hell Laugh out load Not really that knowledgeable on my Christian lore, I think I was the thief that refused Jesus in his final moments, or something like that. What a teenager won't do for pussy...but still very embarrassing today. On the bright side I ended up with an awesome wife with awesome (though somewhat closed-minded) in-laws.
I think it's romantic. *takes out romantic dagger just in case someone tries to poke holes in what I said*

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
06-12-2012, 10:48 PM
(06-12-2012 10:05 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Failing at giving my favorite science teacher a Watchtower magazine. He refused. Big Grin It's funny and yet my stomach still twists at the thought.
Oh dear god; that reminds me:

Being the only student in my 6th Grade history class to write an essay entitled "Why I Don't Salute the Flag" around a political holiday, then reading that essay aloud in front of the class.
For those who don't know, Witnesses are very much opposed to politics, and consider the "pledge of allegiance" to be a form of flag-worship (a sentiment I don't disagree with, even today). Thus, my essay explained why God is the only being worthy of our worship, and (basically) why the rest of the class was a bunch of sinners who were spitting in the face of God by taking pride in their nation.

My teacher didn't treat me very nicely after that. In fact, he's why we sued the school and began my homeschooling career.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
06-12-2012, 11:16 PM
(06-12-2012 10:48 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  began my homeschooling career.
A glittering career too, so there Big Grin

It was all so long ago... Apart from the stuff at uni but I erased my memories of that... Lemme think. The one which still makes me laugh is the childish prayer written in an old exercise book from when I was... maybe 12. Pages and pages of 'Dear God, please help me stop wanking. Sincerely, Morondog.'
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-12-2012, 11:27 PM
* as a confused teen, I 'gave away my soul to satan' as a test / because I was mad at god and felt so bad that i gave it back to god one week later

* for about 5 years straight from 2004-2009 I listened to nothing but gospel music because my now ex-inlaws did. I still feel like i have a lot of catching up to do with normal music. I've always been a rock n roll lover.

* debated heavily with atheists online for about a year because I thought I was doing god's work. (Sorry everyone)

* wrote stories and poetry about people being saved & shared them with church members because I thought the idea was beautiful at the time.

* pulled the preacher aside and asked him why god would pair me up with my husband if it was just going to end in heartbreak & divorce

* sang in front of an entire congregation when I'm too embarrassed to do it otherwise. >.<