What is the best evidence against Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 09:34 PM
RE: What is the best evidence against Christianity
(29-11-2016 09:06 PM)Aractus Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 08:53 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Second of all, there is no way to prove any of the stories told about him have any basis in reality.

Well yes there is. There is wide scholarly agreement on a number of things that occur in the New Testament. For example, the rejection at Nazareth is considered a historical event. The crucifixion of Jesus is considered historical. The baptism by John is considered historical. The disruption in the Temple is considered historical.

The virgin birth?
Water to wine?
Raising Lazarus?
Demons cast out into swine?
Tempted by the devil?

Rising from the dead. Physically?

I already agreed that a jesus person probably existed. But the historical evidence is a far, far cry from the absolute certainty taught by the churches.

(29-11-2016 09:06 PM)Aractus Wrote:  More broadly there is agreement he delivered teachings, performed healings, and called disciples as well. There is not an agreement over the number of disciples that he called (which the gospels lists as being 12).

I missed the part where we verified the miraculous healing incidents scientifically.

Anyone can call disciples and deliver teachings.

Quote:Thirdly, forcing them to justify their savior's existence should be a wake-up call. It should open the door to an entire library's worth of questions.

(29-11-2016 09:06 PM)Aractus Wrote:  They don't have to justify his existence, they can simply point to there being wide scholarly agreement, and not just amongst NT scholars, but also amongst classicists as well. Classicists do not have a vested interest in Jesus the way that NT scholars do, so anyone who is going to doubt the existence of Jesus needs to explain why we can't trust classicists on this.

You miss the point. All history can do is show a person. It does not show a god. Quite the opposite.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
29-11-2016, 09:50 PM
There's a trick to prophecy in revealed religion. The next story of god contains within the last story of god. For instance, Gwyneth as an intermediary between man and god, the mortal and divine, a path well traveled.

So Gwynnite is the best evidence against Christianity.

But once you see the man behind the curtain you should never not consider the man behind the curtain.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-11-2016, 09:52 PM
(29-11-2016 09:06 PM)Aractus Wrote:  More broadly there is agreement he delivered teachings, performed healings, and called disciples as well. There is not an agreement over the number of disciples that he called (which the gospels lists as being 12). [...]

There can be no empirical evidence that the man called Jesus performed any "healings". What evidence do you draw upon to convince you that he really did heal people? Or are you relying solely on another doubtful bit of hearsay in the bible?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
29-11-2016, 11:13 PM
(29-11-2016 06:28 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Why are all the contradictions I find in the bible minor details
Why I get the feeling that you're just trying to troll?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
29-11-2016, 11:17 PM
Ask21771, are you a Christian who came here to try to convert us to Christianity?

Answer "Yes" or "No," and answer as if your eternal life depends on the truthfulness of your reply. (Springy G tears a page out of the Book of Life, folds it in half, and places it in the feeder of Her crosscut shredder, waiting patiently with Her finger on the power switch)
[+] 6 users Like Astreja's post
29-11-2016, 11:35 PM
(29-11-2016 11:17 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Ask21771, are you a Christian who came here to try to convert us to Christianity?

Answer "Yes" or "No," and answer as if your eternal life depends on the truthfulness of your reply. (Springy G tears a page out of the Book of Life, folds it in half, and places it in the feeder of Her crosscut shredder, waiting patiently with Her finger on the power switch)

No I'm not a Christian, I'm just really scared they're right
29-11-2016, 11:49 PM
(29-11-2016 11:35 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  No I'm not a Christian, I'm just really scared they're right

Fair enough. What you have to do next, then, is find ways of calming down that fear. For a start. give yourself a couple of days where you don't read any Christian apologetics at all so that your mind can clear a bit. If you find yourself worrying while you're trying to go to sleep at night, say "stop!" to the thought, take a couple of slow breaths, and give your muscles a bit of a stretch to get the tension out.

It gets easier with time. Put a bit of mental distance between yourself and the problem and it'll start to fade.
30-11-2016, 12:54 AM
(29-11-2016 09:34 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The virgin birth?
Water to wine?
Raising Lazarus?
Demons cast out into swine?
Tempted by the devil?

Rising from the dead. Physically?

Well I already covered the nativity and resurrection as being non-historical by wide scholarly consensus. Performing exorcisms is something Jesus did do - of course I'm not suggesting the biblical account is accurate, or in the instance of "Legion" even based on a historical event.

Quote:I already agreed that a jesus person probably existed. But the historical evidence is a far, far cry from the absolute certainty taught by the churches.

I'm not talking about what churches teach - that's a complete fallacy.

Quote:I missed the part where we verified the miraculous healing incidents scientifically.

I didn't say any miracles occurred, that's another complete fallacy.

Quote:You miss the point. All history can do is show a person. It does not show a god. Quite the opposite.

Right, again I did not say any gods were historically confirmed, another fallacy. Jesus's divinity was not something he claimed to his disciples, it's something the early Christians believed as a part of their mythology.

My Blog
30-11-2016, 01:55 AM
(29-11-2016 03:14 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 03:01 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Why are you asking?

I'm scared of going to hell

You know why i asked you? Because you dont smell but stink like a dishonest christian who comes here, to try and lure "evil atheists" into a trap by *asking* them a load of shit by throwing in assertions and saying "can you disprove it?".

Now one further question from me?

Would your god love the fact that you come here and try to deceive people?
In case he doesnt, would he still like it, because you are doing it for a good reason (to save all those bad atheists)?
If he does exist and is all knowing, wouldnt he know there are many other ways to convince the people here, but to send someone as disingenuous and dishonest as you?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
30-11-2016, 01:56 AM
(29-11-2016 11:35 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  
(29-11-2016 11:17 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Ask21771, are you a Christian who came here to try to convert us to Christianity?

No I'm not a Christian, I'm just really scared they're right

If they are right, lying is a sin, and you go to hell.
Are you a christian?
Are you lying?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse