What is the best evidence against Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2016, 02:23 AM
RE: What is the best evidence against Christianity
I'm not a Christian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2016, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2016 04:31 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
I've held off saying it, or participating, but now I gotta say it:

Lying for Jesus™ is still lying.

Look, Ask, if you're really worried about Christian claims, then ask yourself why the Bible copies older legends (badly) from middle eastern-area cultures but not from Asia/Australia/SouthAmerica (if God is global), why it gets major elements of history dead wrong, why it promotes miracle stories such as the Flood which are plagiarized from other nearby cultures (but not global ones) and which is against every known law of physics, why it promotes a Creation story that's not only a copy of similar Fertile Crescent legends but is against everything we know about DNA and how life works since we discovered the scientific method, and why the God of the Universe made the universe and waited 14 billion years before life as we know it was crawling on land... then waited another 250,000 years (at least) after modern man evolved before he decided to talk to one of us... and why it was in a tiny piece of desert in a war-torn region between three major early empires?

That's without even getting into the fact that most of the elements of modern Christianity aren't even in the Bible originally, such as the idea of Hell as a place of torture for those who reject the "free offer" of the "loving God"...

That's without even getting into the fact that the supposed Greatest Moral Agent of the Entire Universe™ writes a holy scripture that just happens to fit the prejudices of one Bronze Age tribal sheepherder-warrior clan in Canaan, including genocide, misogyny, suppression of free speech, and worst to me is the approval of a system of permanent, heritable, race-based slavery. (See Leviticus 25:44-46, if you don't believe me.)

Not one thing about the Bible story makes sense, if you look at it in context. If you want to go picking apart individual pieces, we have lots of threads about that where you can read, which already exist. Just poke around.

So when you come here and keep asking, "But what about _______? Oh, well... Then what about ______?", without acknowledging that we have demonstrated already that some of that stuff is utterly bunk, then you start to sound like a Christian trying to use surreptitious (sneaky) means to get us to agree with your programming. You sound like one of the dozens of "Liars for Jesus" we get in here, every year... practically on a weekly basis.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
30-11-2016, 04:23 AM
(30-11-2016 02:23 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I'm not a Christian

But if you were a christian, you would go to hell!? Do you agree?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
30-11-2016, 04:41 AM
(30-11-2016 02:23 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I'm not a Christian

Do you have a christian name? Blink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-11-2016, 04:47 AM
OP, why don't you believe in Father Christmas? Genuine question.
  • His existence is attested to by countless parents every year.
  • He leaves tangible physical evidence of his visits.
  • He lives at the North Pole.
  • He delivers presents to kiddies once a year.
  • He doesn't like naughty kids and sometimes plays pranks on them.
  • You must be good to receive good things.

Contrast with God:
  • His existence is attested by countless Christians all the fucken time. And one book of dubious provenance.
  • No tangible physical evidence unless you count "answered prayer".
  • He lives in "heaven" - which, since we started visiting heaven ourselves, is no longer identified with the sky.
  • He doesn't like "sinners" and often punishes them.
  • You are rewarded for belief post-death.

If you don't believe in Santa and do believe in God, then I submit that you are in fact, fucken nuts.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
30-11-2016, 05:15 AM
Santa doesn't exist????? Ohmy

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
30-11-2016, 05:26 AM
No, Banjo, I'm sorry. They're both fake. Do you need a hug?

Hug

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
30-11-2016, 05:28 AM
(30-11-2016 05:26 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  No, Banjo, I'm sorry. They're both fake. Do you need a hug?

Hug

Yes. Sad

Banjo.
[+] 6 users Like Banjo's post
30-11-2016, 06:27 AM
(30-11-2016 12:54 AM)Aractus Wrote:  Well I already covered the nativity and resurrection as being non-historical by wide scholarly consensus. Performing exorcisms is something Jesus did do - of course I'm not suggesting the biblical account is accurate, or in the instance of "Legion" even based on a historical event.

So, in other words you agree with me that there was likely an historical jesus but he didn't perform any actual miracles?

(30-11-2016 12:54 AM)Aractus Wrote:  I'm not talking about what churches teach - that's a complete fallacy.

No. I was talking about what the church teaches.

(30-11-2016 12:54 AM)Aractus Wrote:  I didn't say any miracles occurred, that's another complete fallacy.

Oh? You mentioned healings and exorcisms and did not specify that you believed them mundane.

(30-11-2016 12:54 AM)Aractus Wrote:  Right, again I did not say any gods were historically confirmed, another fallacy. Jesus's divinity was not something he claimed to his disciples, it's something the early Christians believed as a part of their mythology.

You still miss my point.

The CHURCH teaches that there is 100% absolute certainty that:
Jesus existed, he was of divine birth, he performed miracles and that he was physically resurrected.

BELIEVERS need to learn to question ALL of those assertions.

YOU stated that anyone arguing the Mythicist position should be completely disregarded. That is 100% wrong.

Believers need to learn to ask questions. They need to learn how to do research and think for themselves in regards to their religion.

Saying that they can't question Christ's existence is similar to saying that they can't question his divinity.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
30-11-2016, 06:41 AM
(29-11-2016 06:59 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Those are not major contradictions in the bible

"major" is a subjective term but even if I granted your statement (I don't) have you read up on the history of the bible itself? It was written, edited, and compiled over centuries. Later writings used earlier writings as a basis to provide a pretense of justification for their claims. The proto-Christian church included many different theological ideas that were quite contradictory but as one faction won out the "heretical" books were discarded. What we are left with is essentially a big book of fan fiction that was edited to tell a single story. It is not at all strange that the bulk of it can be harmonized. That does not imply that it is true.

Asking about contradictions in the text is about as useful as discussing the internal consistency of Star Trek or Star Wars... the general arc is consistent but there are plenty of things, big and small, that don't quite line up. As a mental exercise it can be fun but it doesn't say anything about reality just like the bible doesn't.

(29-11-2016 07:08 PM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Most myths didn't involve an actual person

Was Socrates a real person?
What about Sargon of Agade?
Was Washington a real person? Did he chop down a cherry tree and say "I can not tell a lie"?
Did Lincoln walk three miles to return a few pennies in change?

Myths grow up about real people all the time. You can find followers of Jim Jones, Sun Myung Moon, and David Koresh that will tell stories about witnessing them perform miracles. We know the men existed but there's no reason to accept the claims. Jesus may or may not have existed but it took a few centuries for the stories that are in the bible today to get to the form they are in now. We have no reason to accept any of it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post