What is the best evidence against Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2016, 08:48 AM
RE: What is the best evidence against Christianity
(28-12-2016 08:30 PM)Disciple 21x Wrote:  Christians really don't believe in the Bible Bucky Ball. Take it from me you're getting the inside scoop straight from the horse's mouth. Like Tomasia I too am a graduate of Bible college. I have a degree from Victory Bible College, at the "prestigious" (to Christians anyway) Oral Roberts University. I'll be honest Bucky Ball that degree isn't worth the paper it's printed on. But I can tell you Christians are ignorant of what they believe.

I take it your only point in saying xtians generally don't believe in the bible is to say most are ignorant of it or haven't studied it in the depth you yourself have? Too bad. I was hoping a xtian was finally going to agree with me that the bible is just another book: good for some uses and in places, less so in others. Don't suppose you'd care to quote me a scripture to show why scriptures are so special?

Seriously though, you do sound a little weary with the whole bible/missionary gig. Is that cross getting a little heavy, not to mention the cognitive dissonance for someone who would obviously prefer to let his mind find its own way.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2016, 09:08 AM
(28-12-2016 12:07 PM)Disciple 21x Wrote:  ...And really this is a bitter pill for even the most levelheaded atheist to swallow. Really because of atheistic politics. Which rejects even the possibility of God outright. But I'm burning the proverbial candle at both ends. And I don't concern myself with atheist doctrines or Christian doctrines. I'll continue with the second point in a future post.

Perhaps it has some value to try to imagine the unimaginable. Or maybe not. Suspending judgement can be valuable, but not to the point of literally convincing oneself absurd things are so. I think you may indeed be burning your candle at both ends.

You know there really aren't any atheist politics to worry about. We don't constitute a congregation or an essential community in any real sense. We simply have in common not being believers in any god. That sets us loose on an immense plane of ideas unmoored to Christian tradition. It may sound scary but it is also liberating. Online atheists can form pop up communities, but there is no brotherhood implicit in 'joining' the atheists. There is only 'leaving' the literal god believers. Where you go next is up to you. Maybe it doesn't even matter. You have a life and a mind, two things I deem very precious. To explore them is to use them and to come to know them is fulfillment, sans ever afters.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
29-12-2016, 10:18 AM
(29-12-2016 06:33 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 01:09 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hang on, are you a Christian or not? I thought you were another apologist?

He's his own unique brand of xianity... #35427 unless I lost count...

Quote:First I am a disciple of Yahshua Messiah. Second I think everyone has the right to believe as they choose. Third I will not proselytize it's pointless. Fourth I do not buy into what is called Christian doctrines. Fifth I don't think skeptics are skeptical enough.

Laugh out load Facepalm Another Yahshua follower now?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-12-2016, 10:23 AM
(29-12-2016 10:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-12-2016 06:33 AM)unfogged Wrote:  He's his own unique brand of xianity... #35427 unless I lost count...

Laugh out load Facepalm Another Yahshua follower now?

I thought that was a city in New Hampshire.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-12-2016, 12:02 PM
(28-12-2016 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  You continue to be blind to the fact that there are no supporting documents.

No they're all supporting documents, the gospels, the nt writings, the writing of Paul, Josephus, Tacitus, etc....

What your blind to is your own little word game, and you get frustrated when you don't have the power to dictate them as you desire.

Quote:You continue to take its veracity on blind faith.

Is that what historians like Bart Ehrman do, accept historicity on blind faith?

Quote:And you're an asshole. Drinking Beverage

When in Rome do as the Romans.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
29-12-2016, 01:02 PM
(29-12-2016 12:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No they're all supporting documents, the gospels, the nt writings, the writing of Paul, Josephus, Tacitus, etc....

Yes, and "The Prisoner of Azkaban" is a supporting document for Harry.

Quote:When in Rome do as the Romans.

What are you doing here again (these week's answer anyway) ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-12-2016, 01:58 PM
(29-12-2016 12:02 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  You continue to be blind to the fact that there are no supporting documents.

No they're all supporting documents, the gospels, the nt writings, the writing of Paul, Josephus, Tacitus, etc....

What your blind to is your own little word game, and you get frustrated when you don't have the power to dictate them as you desire.

Quote:You continue to take its veracity on blind faith.

Is that what historians like Bart Ehrman do, accept historicity on blind faith?

Quote:And you're an asshole. Drinking Beverage

When in Rome do as the Romans.

No Mr Tomasia, all that you have are words, and the hope that when your dusty tomes are totally perused and finished being read through we're all no longer replying due to catatonia induced apathy, because if we are you'll be receiving objective, verifiable evidence by way of rebuttal before you've even begun to marshal your replies.

If I'm not at work...
Where am I?
Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
29-12-2016, 02:22 PM
(29-12-2016 01:58 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  No Mr Tomasia, all that you have are words...

That's really what it all boils down to isn't it?

The only "evidence" for christianity is the bible.

Think about that for a minute.

The bible. That's all there is:

Miracles? Even if a miracle could be verified, the bible specifically says that other religions could do miracles.

Personal experience? Meaningless to all but that one person.

History? eh. The best history can do is say that there was likely a jesus person. History can't give you a god.

That leaves the bible.

Well, the bibles - plural. Because there are a number of variants, depending on which version of christianity you're discussing.

The evidence for christianity rests on a collection of books
that no one can agree on...
that most adherents don't read...
that even fewer adherents understand the history of...
that have been deliberately and accidentally altered over time.

But atheists are irrational. Go figure. Facepalm

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
29-12-2016, 02:25 PM
(29-12-2016 01:58 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  No Mr Tomasia, all that you have are words, and the hope that when your dusty tomes are totally perused and finished being read through we're all no longer replying due to catatonia induced apathy, because if we are you'll be receiving objective, verifiable evidence by way of rebuttal before you've even begun to marshal your replies.

If I'm not at work...
Where am I?
Evil_monster

What generally happens is that when groups like this form, in their plight for power and esteem, and creating the party line, they tend to formulate there own terms and definitions, often times just making them up as they going along. In the topic of history, when many atheists here use the terms evidence, sources, facts, truth, etc... they're not particularly appealing to the way these terms are understand by the historical community, but rather in the way this little enclave of atheists has attempted to dictate the meaning of those terms.

You have your own unique interpretations of the meaning of those terms, almost exclusively belonging to this space and nowhere else. Just like different christians communities have their own unique interpretations of the bible.

You're not going to find these interpretations in a university level history course, they just belong to your folks on this forum, created in the pursuit of acceptance, and conformity.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
29-12-2016, 02:34 PM
(29-12-2016 02:22 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The only "evidence" for christianity is the bible.

That's like saying the only evidence for any worldview, are the writings that outline them. Either all of history, all of what it means to be human, aligns with that image of a broken body on the cross, or it doesn't.

Anti-religious critics of christianity, such as yourself, often form their worldviews absent the questions so close to us, removed from the eyes and life of the viewers, and in turn are always false. They can't take life in, let alone speak about it.